Gymboree Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Breitbard

Pros
Cons
  • New line (floor set) every other Sunday (in 72 reviews)

• There has been a lot of changes in the store structure (upper management/middle) (in 49 reviews)

"Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gymboree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leaders little out of date with technology. Freedom to run the store. No micro managing. Great support from the dm

Cons

Technology way out of date. Runs on single coverage. Most stores only have part time asm. Expectations are high with the amount of hours you have to complete tasks

2. "Gymboree Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at Gymboree (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, friendly, and inviting atmosphere. Fast-paced environment with easy to learn operating systems. Easy-going clientele.

Cons

Too many employees to have consistent hours unless you hold a position in management. High employee turnover due to holiday staffing.

Advice to Management

Recruit a smaller, more versatile staff so that employees can build a stronger comraderie and can work together as a team to ensure customers are completely satisfied.

3. "Use to be a great company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Cicero, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Cicero, IL

I worked at Gymboree full-time

Pros

Decent pay for small box/ good work life balance if you run a good store

Cons

Not the company it use to be / constantly changing its mind / dm turnover / secret shops

Advice to Management

Make up your mind do you sell high priced quality clothes or do you sell low priced crap you cant have both. Gymboree use to be the place moms ran to to get their childrens size when a new collection came out they would pay whatever and the clothing would last forever now its cheap crap at a so so price and too many collections no demand.

5. "Current manager tired of new bosses"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Plainfield, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Plainfield, IL

I have been working at Gymboree (More than 3 years)

Pros

good customers good discount moved up 3 positions

Cons

New boss every 6 months

Advice to Management

Hate relignment. Happening too often and very discouraging.

6. "Impossible goals given ao they dont have to pay out montly bonus, tiny raises, if any at all."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, insurance if full time.

Cons

Work a lot more than 40 hours with no recognition or additional compensation

Advice to Management

NEVER have Ibworkes unerring 45 hours a week

"Sales associate and General review of company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Algonquin, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Algonquin, IL

Pros

In general it's a paying job and you get 40% off regular priced items.

Cons

Product quality is declining and the employees take the heat for it! Employees have no clue what price is on any item because the prices consistently change on an item daily and we waste time checking prices for a customer instead of assisting on locating an item in the size needed or ringing the customers! Was recent told overnights were mandatory and therefore quite!

Advice to Management

Management outside the store was useless!! Corporate would come in and give direction to change the store and then the next day someone else from corporate would come in and change it again! Our store was in constant chaos since management has nothing better to do than disrupt the store! Keep the Pajamas at a descent price and great quality since those are the best seller! Keep the sales instead of constantly putting one item on sale then taking it off! Knowing the "hard tag" rule is insane to expect from customers!! Hire MOTHERS who already shop there such as myself!! We are actually invested in your company and product and btw I'm a college graduate and needed mommy hours such as nights and weekends when most moms are shopping with their kids and we can relate and help!! Push your underwear and socks because they are the best out there!! Lower the cost of your shoes since they will typically only be worn one time!! More people are willing to spend under 15 for a one time pair of shoes not under 50!!! Give your employees 30 minutes minimum a night after store closing to clean and organize the store instead of the 10 minutes allowed currently!! I had loyalty to your store and dressed my 3 kids in it along with gifts for all my nieces, nephews, and friends kids until you made overnights mandatory. Get rid of had your corporate workers and hire more stre employees and pay them right!! You let Algonquin fall apart because corporate played favorites by promoting friends and not the correct people!! Your customers there are loyal not only to the store but form friendships with the associates!! You are destroying it!

8. "store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment easy work load. Good dms

Cons

Salary room for growth. Benefits. Company not do I g well.

Advice to Management

Compensation for salary employees. Bad to no benefits to assistants and sales associates no holiday pay or time in a half

9. "Gymboree assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gymboree (Less than a year)

Pros

Team environment great
    room for advancement

Cons

while other employers let their employees have holidays off, gymboree schedules their new lines on holidays, making it impossible to be with your loved ones on Memorial Day, Mother's Day, etc.

Another con is no raises for 2015 and next to nothing raises for previous years

Advice to Management

store management is great
    corporate management needs to value store employees more.

10. "Gymboree"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wheaton, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wheaton, IL

I worked at Gymboree part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reputable company with quality items and products. Enjoyed working with customers - lots of regulars to build a relationship with and know their wants and needs. Pay was above average for a retail job but I had higher end retail experience. Enjoyed the Employee discount for purchasing for my own little girl at the time. Liked most of the other employees but not all. Sort of par for the course in retail.

Cons

As I continued to work for this company they offered less and less hours to me as an established sales associate and kept hiring in other employees, when I was available for them to utilize me for more hours! They did want me to be available to switch over to sister company Crazy 8 and two other Gymboree locations as needed basis, which I tried to accommodate - near the date I finally quite - they had me down to about 8-10 hours a week when they were well aware I needed to and was available to work 20-25 hours a week (including weekends).

Advice to Management

If you have a devoted long time employee that generates sales and knows the company vision and procedures, don't just give them a small raise in pay... offer them more work hours if they ask for them and don't hire in an overage of extra employees just to cover small windows of time. I understand some employees call in sick or aren't cooperative or can't accommodate hours... but I felt like the upper management didn't know what they were doing. I would have stayed on if they had given me more hours and even more responsibility - like Assistant Manager.

"Fun Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lombard, IL

I worked at Gymboree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gymboree has excellent training programs that help you continually grow.

Cons

Sometime they are too much by the book, this includes scheduling hours and sales.