Gymboree Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

2.9
Mark Breitbard
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • They schedule new line even if it's a holiday sometimes (in 71 reviews)

• There has been a lot of changes in the store structure (upper management/middle) (in 47 reviews)

1. "sales lead"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gymboree (More than a year)

Pros

work with great people!
    able to neogiate your hourly pay
    always room for raises/promotions
    flexible with work schedule

Cons

never ending stress
    new line every two weeks
    we end up doing a task that is asked by corporate then the next day they change their mind about it.

Advice to Management

more organization

2. "Great people to work with. Good customer service. Quailty of fashion is great!"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customer relations clientaling is enjoyable. Generally good values. People are nice to work with.

Cons

Payroll is completley unrealistic all managers have said they feel pressure to work for free in all distrcts. Hiring practices need improvement. Meaning district managers some have had great experience. But some are hired that have gaps in employment for some time or promoted no experience, just as any management. With proper background checks would
    make for better company. If only Rplm would know that dm in los angeles San Fernanado
    is always in stores early not following bagchecks and hunting for printer carteridges has questionable character from his past. When hears hes at stores or he freaks out. Dm is nice but he does say things out of character for a professional work enviroment, and acts out of character. When corporate is in his presence he completly is acting in character. He is afraid any mention of H.r for good reasons. When asked all store managers say they would not trust this Dm to watch theyre children based on his comments behavor in workplace I am glad I dont work for this Dm anymore. .

Advice to Management

Do the background checks please. Make sure that when reviewing questionable behavoirs. Make sure to look for ethical characteristics. Hire someone that is a fit for childrens enviroment.

"A Stressful Experience, Enough for One Lifetime"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts are ok, nice to have the ability to use discounts at all brands (Gymboree, Crazy 8, Janie and Jack, Shade)

Cons

Company doesn't give many hours to spend on team member, nor to actually get things done in the store. Most work that NEEDS to be done will be done off the clock, sadly. Part time employees (incl. all PT management) can no longer work 30+ hours because company doesn't want to provide Obamacare; would rather cut hours

Advice to Management

Giving stores more than 120 hours/week will ensure getting things done in a timely manner, where people will rightfully get paid.

"Terrible Place To Work"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

~I have a job
    ~Some of the children are great
    ~I have a job? (I've got nothing else)

Cons

I've been with the company for two years, and it has been the WORST 2 years ever, and I've worked some terrible jobs. I worked a full six months without being trained properly and made many mistakes that not only could have cost me my job but also made me look incompetent (which I was) to customers.

~Always closing
    ~Not being able to go the bathroom for hours as I wait for my second person to come in...hours later.
    ~Sales leads (like myself) get paid the salary of an experienced sales associate, and don't even try to work overtime.
    ~A DM who doesn't care that the manager yells and belittles the associates.
    ~SECRET SHOPPERS (CSE) having to always be on guard because your next customer might be your secret shopper. The list of points you have to hit to get a 100% is ridiculous.
    ~Newline, after newline, after newline! The floor sets are usually big, and they are often, sometimes coming one after the other.
    ~The workload! It is impossible to get everything on the long list that is given to us done in one day, deal with customers, answer phones, call in 2:45 reads, scan Gymbucks, explain Gymbucks, explain why everything on the rounders aren't 50% off but actually UP TO 50% off, and scan every single item for the customers because they don't believe that the price on the ticket is the actual price. It is impossible and stressful, and it's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Come out of the office and into the store. I'm not talking about walking in and checking out our customer service skills, but get behind the registers, and help customers by yourself without going to the bathroom for hours. You can't possibly hand down rules and lists of things to do without first doing it yourself. It's so easy to say what should be done, but try doing it yourself first.

Work on the pay, it's terrible. Allocate enough hours so that the LOD isn't alone any longer than 30mins. If I'm dealing with a very difficult situation I' like to be able to walk away and get myself together, but I can't do that when I'm alone for three and four hours.