Gymboree Play and Music Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you like working with children this is a good program (in 9 reviews)

• Fun work with kids some flexibility with houts (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement, no benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Small hourly wage for amount of work (in 5 reviews)

1. "Love it"

Current Employee - Teacher in Westfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Westfield, NJ

I have been working at Gymboree Play and Music part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The owner of the Westfield location is fabulous. She has been with Gymboree a long time, so she is very smart. Its a great family environment, and the other people who work there are super nice. The owner is lenient, and will try to accomodate if you need to pick up kids from school, or go to a doctors appointment.

Cons

There are only a few employees, so a lot of responsibility is put on the individual employees. Taking time off is hard, because we don't always have someone to cover our classes. The owner can also be nit picky over seemingly simple mistakes (forget to clean something, or take the garbage out, etc). There aren't any benefits to the job money wise, and you will definitely feel underpaid sometimes.

Advice to Management

Hire more people.

2. "All good in my book"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Gymboree Play and Music part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All co workers are friendly, decent pay, good hours

Cons

If you don't like kids this isn't for you

3. "Good company to work for, you just really have to love kids!"

I worked at Gymboree Play and Music part-time

Pros

Most of the time it's a fun and positive environment. The lesson plans have adorable themes such airplanes or baking cookies (pretend). I enjoyed teaching the art classes the most. The crafts are easy and cute and the kids feel very accomplished after.

Cons

If you don't like to sing it may not be for you. The pay could be a little higher in my opinion. Some locations do pay more than what I was being paid. It takes a lot of energy and patience, although overall it is not a hard job in my opinion.

4. "Reviewing Your Sense of Value"

Pros

My favorite part of working here was to have a good influence on the children (and the families). If you don't actually love working with children, you will likely not find this job worthwhile. This is not like a daycare where you're interaction with parents is brief, but you are more actively engaged with the guardians. This is intentional with the company as they want to ensure the guardians are aware of the value they are to be receiving in the lives of the children. Since someone is investing money for additional education, they take it seriously (which can have its pros and cons, a pro being that they may make personal efforts in class to keep their child engaged). Another plus (depending on what you find value in), is that you are helping families connect with other families by default in facilitating a class. I also liked that as a franchise, though holding to the format of the company, it still had it's own identity/workplace culture. If you've worked with children, then you know there are many inherit rewards, like seeing growth as well as receiving genuine appreciation/love from the kids. I learned a lot working there regarding early development through creative means.

Cons

If it's primarily a means for finances, you are better off looking elsewhere. As with many other education-based operations, you are not being paid for all of your time invested. You are expected (at least at the locations I'm familiar with), to study and know the lesson plans on your own time, as well as doing some of the prep work for art and potentially music outside of hourly pay. As mentioned in the "pros", someone has made an investment into this, and is expecting a return. Often, but by no means as a generalization, you have mindsets of high demand. They may have their children in there because they want them to be the best (paying for additional education), which will reflect their personality. If they are used to paying for services with high expectations, such a mentality of "I'm the boss/ It's my way" may also carry over to your interactions with them, as well as possibly being seen in the children (which you can help with, as you would help teach good character). Personality, good and ugly, will be carried over to any place you work. Be aware of the high demands, as if you are an expert with a degree in childhood development, though, like many other preschool-aged operations, are being paid less than or similar to your first job in life. It's worth it if you want to do it! I personally think these positions are best suited for people who love children, and are just looking for a little extra cash.

Advice to Management

Consider how to have incentives to employees mandatory or highly suggested to franchise owners. Such incentives could be a certain bonus for retention in a new class, or reasonable # for new students (not based on the franchise's ability to market, but on the number that comes in).

5. "Site Manager/Teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Gymboree Play and Music (More than 10 years)

Pros

Get paid to sing and play!

Cons

none, the children bring a smile to my face.

6. "Review of Gymboree Play & Music"

I have been working at Gymboree Play and Music part-time

Pros

Great families and children that you get to interact with.

Cons

No cons that I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

Open to communication from all levels.

7. "Fun Place To Work"

Former Employee - Play & Learn Teacher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Play & Learn Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Gymboree Play and Music (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved being with kids and excited coworkers every day! It's a fun place to work, and management is accommodating.

Cons

Sometimes things pop up last minute and you'll be asked to step in. Management handles this as well as they can.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

8. "It was the best of times it was the worst of times"

I worked at Gymboree Play and Music full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Get to work with kids, relaxed environment

Cons

No room for advancement, no benefits

9. "Fun but low wages"

Current Employee - Play & Learn Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Play & Learn Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gymboree Play and Music (Less than a year)

Pros

It was exciting and fun to work with families and children in the community. You definitely grow attached to some of them. It was very rewarding. Great way to network with families that need a babysitter.

Cons

It was definitely hard to make rent, but it helped me get through college. Teaching and playing with a classroom of up to 20 children and each parent is paying big money for their child to be there... the teachers should definitely make more. I ended up leaving because I was offered twice as much pay, under the table to nanny for a family that attended classes.

10. "Fun Job"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Gymboree Play and Music part-time

Pros

The position worked around my schedule

Cons

A lot of material to learn but was helpful in my education classes