Gymboree Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Breitbard

Pros
Cons
  • New line (floor set) every other Sunday (in 74 reviews)

• There has been a lot of changes in the store structure (upper management/middle) (in 50 reviews)

1. "Wonderful place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfield, CA

Pros

The number one best reason to work at this location of Gymboree is the management staff. The new management staff they acquired in 2008 was and still is an incredible and awesome staff to work with and for. About Gymboree as a company--I have never worked (in retail) somewhere where the upper level management (DMs , Regionals, etc) actually listen to their employees concerns and do something about it. This company really backs their employees.

Cons

The only downside of working at this location of Gymboree was the location and the amount of shoplifting attempts there were on a weekly basis. This has decreased in the past couple of years though.

Advice to Management

You are amazing. Thank you for supporting your employees and making the work environment an amazing one.

2. "Great Team Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great management
    Caring environment with a lot of support
    Positive experience in training
    Clear objectives
    Fun place to work
    Flexible work schedule

Cons

There are mainly only part time positions so there are no health benefits. More hours would be better if they were open more.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The centers should be open for business more so the customers can use it more and the employees can have more hours.

"Great Place for growth"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Greenville, NC

Pros

-Flexible Schedule
    -Amazing atmosphere
    -Great Team motivation
    -Promotion from within the company

Cons

-Payroll hours are never enough
    -Store manager salaries could be better

5. "Fun place to work!!"

Pros

Moved fast in the company. Fun place to work!! Friendly staff. Love my job!

Cons

Needs to have 2 people working at all times.

Advice to Management

Needs to have 2 people working at all times. Reduces theft and LP issues.

6. "Fun and hard work"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is a lot of fun. There is always something new coming out so there is always something to do. You can have a lot of fun with the customers too. It's a great part time job.

Cons

The worst part is the hours. Managers are alone in the store for up to five hours at a time. You rarely have double coverage which makes it hard to get all the tasks done. Upper management expects you to do a lot of tasking while providing personalized customer service and being alone in the store. New lines of clothing come out frequently and you do feel like you're playing catch up a lot. The backrooms are often small and you have to be super organized or they become a mess very quickly. The associates don't get a lot of hours, so there's quite a bit of turnover.

Advice to Management

Give us more hours. Spend the payroll needed to get done all the tasks that have to get done and provide the level of service expected. With more payroll the customers will get better service and there would be less product loss due to external theft.

7. "Gymboree is a company filled with opportunities."

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Gymboree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my experience, Gymboree has a very open and accepting atmosphere. The managers strive to ensure that the sales staff is fully trained and able to interact with customers effectively. There are many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The stores rely heavily on customer surveys, so if you do not work often, it could affect your performance. Many customers are focused on sales and promotions, so there are some downtimes when very few customers shop because of a lack of promotions.

Advice to Management

It would be great if store associates could give feedback on how various items in the store are selling. At times, our store would receive an excess amount of one particular style that was not selling.

8. "love the company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

they care about the people. its fun and you learn alot.

Cons

small staff and not much room to grow

9. "Wonderful Experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gymboree was a wonderful work experience for me. I did have a lot of experience going into the position so I knew what to expect from the job. I was going back to college for a second time and they were flexible with my schedule. I had a great store manager that worked with her employees, communicated well and wanted what was best for the store. The district manager was also very hard working and friendly. If you are an intelligent, hard worker yourself they are willing to promote but you may have to move. Also it was great that even though I was technically part time I got full time hours and they offer benefits to part time workers. Gymboree also supports St. Judes in fundraising and I find it very important for a company to give back.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

10. "Fast-paced, but relaxed"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Jackson, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Jackson, TN

I worked at Gymboree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility is a definite pro for this company - at least with my boss, he worked around whatever schedule I had going on. I've worked for both Gymboree and Crazy 8, both times I had great experiences. Pay is above minimum wage, not by much but it's definitely motivating.

Cons

If you are a sales associate, the hours aren't stupendous. Typically, there will only be 2 employees maximum on the floor, which is fine when they aren't at their busiest, but when product is expected to go out within less than 24 hours and there are only 3 people working...it causes some stress.

Advice to Management

Make sure you keep responsible flexibility when employees are placed with the task of getting product out, while also dealing with customers and having maybe two employees working at once.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Great upper management

Cons

Very little turnover, so it takes time to be promoted. Have to wait for the position to open up. Assistant Managers are Part Time unless the store makes over $1 million yearly.