Gymboree Reviews | Glassdoor

Gymboree Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • New line (floor set) every other Sunday (in 74 reviews)

• There has been a lot of changes in the store structure (upper management/middle) (in 49 reviews)

1. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher in Columbia, MD

I worked at Gymboree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Gymboree has beautiful equipment and energetic, dedicated instructors. The facilities are kept clean (by instructors). the kids are fun to work with!

Cons

-at times little room for creativity--need to do exactly what cooperates lesson plan says to do (I was not allowed to add a visual schedule for a child who had autism)
    -Mangers get mad if your sick (get mad if you come in sick and get mad if you call out sick
    -No full time positions and no benefits

2. "Working at Gymboree"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Culver City, CA

I worked at Gymboree (More than a year)

Pros

20 % Discount on sales items. Coworkers were great. nothing really good to say about this company.

Cons

Very bad hours . Very unorganized company. Very low chance to grow

"Poor human resources department and supportive staff"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The customers, products, and discount

Cons

The lack of supportive staff for management, horrible human resources department that could never answer questions on the first try.

Advice to Management

Get a district human resource person who knows state regulations and laws. This person would be a huge asset for on boarding people, and also keeping things running smoothly when a write up or discipline is necessary. Also more hours per store, running on single coverage or barely being abel to cover lunch breaks because of lack of coverage is unacceptable

"Senior Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Senior Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gymboree (More than a year)

Pros

Access to upper management, able to present to executives. Completely own the business and I was lucky to not have a micro-manager at the time.

Cons

Some design/merchants were stuck in the past and tried to reinvent same wheel. Were not open-minded to trying new things.

6. "Company sucks. Management did not care about sales associates."

Former Employee - Sales Lead, Key Holder in Waterford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Lead, Key Holder in Waterford, CT

I worked at Gymboree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked that the sales lead/keyholder is basically entry level with little retail experience. Great discount for staff. Nice products.

Cons

Store was very unorganized. Management did very little to make you feel valuable as an employee. Lack of hours. Lack of team work. Working 8 hour shifts on my own with no break.

Advice to Management

Treat staff like they actually matter. Company needs to make sure stores stay fully staffed, especially during the holidays. Offer more hours, no one can support themselves making minimum wage and working 10 hours a week. Make sure your staff get their breaks.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Gymboree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seeing the kids is fun & probably the best part of job. You also develop good relationships with many customers. good product

Cons

Corporate changes tasks for week, often 2 to 3 times each week, making mgmt redo schedules multiple times which is frustrating for the entire store staff & a waste of managers time! Always something big happening or getting ready to happen so it's hard to get time off approved. Hard to keep sales leads for long because of short shifts & no benefits.

"Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

Pros

Great quality clothing, great discount, fun place to help families get outfitted. California work laws.

Cons

No accountability for bullying. Base hours per week given to stores are inadequate given new working peramiters. Pay is the lowest of all children's clothing brands in area.

Advice to Management

To corporate: Anti-bullying campaign and education. To management, don't work here, in this state.

9. "Amazing Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gymboree part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my time working at Gymboree Play and Music in St. Louis, MO. The owner made the entire facility and atmosphere positive and a ton of fun! The students and their families were also top notch. Overall, if I hadn't gone back to grad school and started teaching college students, I'd love to still be teaching my babies at Gymboree.

Cons

Not full time- but there isn't a space for a full time employe in a facility like this.

Advice to Management

Stay awesome, Adam.

"At first I enjoyed my job but due to major company changes many SM'S including my self have sought employment elsewhere."

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Due to the up coming change in Labor Laws the company has already changes Store Managers to a standarf 40 hour work week.

Cons

Work schedule is unrealistic. They do not allow over time. They always want the schedule changed due to last minute corporate directions. This is very difficult as the schedules are need 3 weeks in advance. There is a lot off poor planning and poor business decisions made by corporate.

Advice to Management

Ask a lot of questions during the interview process. Ask about specifics for Line Set, transfer, scheduling. Be sure to ask about training material and training manuals.

11. "sales lead"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gymboree (More than a year)

Pros

work with great people!
    able to neogiate your hourly pay
    always room for raises/promotions
    flexible with work schedule

Cons

never ending stress
    new line every two weeks
    we end up doing a task that is asked by corporate then the next day they change their mind about it.

Advice to Management

more organization