Héroux Devtek Reviews | Glassdoor

Gilles Labbé

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company"

I worked at Héroux Devtek full-time

Pros

new technology and software tools

Cons

We work too much for sub standard pay

Advice to Management

Better benefits and add overtime pay

2. "Stressful"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Héroux Devtek full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

World wide company,cutting edge technology,good starting job for college grads but not a lifelong job.

Cons

Salaried employees not being compensated for overtime. Less people more responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Equal treatment...

3. "Great job, horrible company"

Former Employee - Production Control Manager in Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Production Control Manager in Strongsville, OH

I worked at Héroux Devtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a great deal. Loved the people I worked with, many employees that genuinely care and work very hard. Subject matter experts in the processes and procedures are an amazing asset. Great company to get experience and then quickly move on towards your goals. Multicultural organization.

Cons

Hours are long and expectations are high. Level of dedication that is expected is greatly disproportionate with the salaries and benefits. The company makes it very clear that they do not care about their employees. No work-life balance. No respect or professionalism. Upper-Management is verbally abusive to the management team, behavior that begins at the corporate level and spreads throughout the organization. If you read other reviews, the Canadian issue is mentioned repeatedly. I, however, refuse to believe that all Canadians behave this way. I worked remotely with several Canadian employees that were very welcoming, helpful, and respectful. The Canadian members of the management team in Strongsville are treated just as poorly as the Americans. Although, as a company, it was made very clear that Canadians and men are valued above Americans and women.

While working at this company I was repeatedly cursed at in public settings, belittled for asking questions and then criticized for not having information. There is absolutely no training, on-boarding, or goals given to employees. I verbalized my concerns about the culture and abusive environment and I was told that it is just the way things are and that I would get used to it over time. The turnover is constant because the pay is low and the culture is toxic. I was paid well and I worked hard to achieve success, but ultimately decided to leave to work for a company with a healthier and happier environment.

Advice to Management

Bring in some leadership that is interested in team-building, training, employee development, and creating a respectful and professional environment. Pay people what they are worth and treat them well and they will display the dedication you expect and help grow your organization. You are doing business in the U.S. and you have American employees and American customers, you must strive to eliminate the divisive behavior perpetuated by the Canadian upper-management team.

4. "Great Team!"

Pros

Been working in finance for 8 months and love it. The team is awesome and work really well together. We all leave before 5:00 on Fridays. And we get rewarded with extra time off when we hit our goals. Family is important and a priority. I was used to working long hours in finance but now the team works together to make sure we all leave on time.

Cons

The benefits aren't that great, but comparable to other companies. Only offer one plan and if you are a sick person you are going to spend a lot of money out of pocket.

Advice to Management

Keep up the employee activities.

"Very Positive environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Strongsville, OH

I have been working at Héroux Devtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Have worked with the company for less than a year however, have found each associate who I have interacted with to be incredibly helpful and focused on improvement. Have not worked with anyone who wasn't trying to make things better. Management is to be commended for trying to find new and fresh ways to improve not only the quality of the products we deliver, but the processes which are used to assist in that delivery.

Cons

None that I have experienced

Advice to Management

Keep tapping on the current staff to cultivate new ideas and to develop the next batch of leaders for the company. Continue to recognize those ideas and promote the efficiency gained through them

"I DO NOT RECOMMEND"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Strongsville, OH

I have been working at Héroux Devtek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good coworkers and new offices

Cons

Corporate is located in Canada. They do not care about their US sites, as they use them as pawns to make more money, meanwhile they pay them far too little for the amount of work they expect. They are extremely understaffed due to financial constrains. They drive people to health and mental despair with the amount of stress they put on their staff. Vacation and benefits are pretty bad, especially compared to their Canadian counterparts paid time off. They fill any important and/or management position with transfers from their Canadian facilities which has proven ineffective. They will expect you to put your job above everything else in your life and work excessive hours, only to treat as like your are disposable.

Advice to Management

Get new management or new ownership... the former company should have never sold to Heroux Devtek, as they, or the management they bring, can not efficiently run a US business.

"Don't bother"

I worked at Héroux Devtek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet new people all the time because nobody is ever there for more than a hot minute, and sometimes if you're lucky you'll get to work a 50 hour week for no overtime instead of a 60 hour week for no overtime. And if you're REALLY lucky, once you've worked a million hours of unpaid overtime they will fire you or "reorganize" again and you get laid off.

Cons

High turnover, low morale, they expect you to make your life revolve around them but never reward hard work or loyalty, they will cut you loose if they think it will save them a few bucks. They don't realize that respect and loyalty are a two way street, management thinks everyone is replaceable and they are-if you only care about seat warmers and don't care about growing your business or keeping people who are knowledgeable in the field.

Advice to Management

Start from scratch. Whatever you're doing isn't working.

"Don't make long term plans"

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Strongsville, OH

I worked at Héroux Devtek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a nice park with a basketball court across the street and a good BBQ place for lunch nearby.

Cons

Completely disorganized and everybody manages that situation by being defensive. Heroux Devtek has some brilliant people working for them, but none of those people have been sent to Strongsville (or Springfield). Production at both sites is managed with an excel spreadsheet. When I was there, they employed one full time inspector, which lead to many parts being sent outside for processing that were out of spec. Instead of having the parts returned for machining, they'd want to blame the processing vendor (plating, for example). You can imagine the attitude of the vendors after constantly being blamed for things they didn't do. In house, machine operators and the one inspector were pressured to pass parts and sign off inspection reports without inspecting (sometimes even seeing) the parts by a screaming operations manager who is only in that position because his wife's parents owned the company before Heroux acquired it. If you're even vaguely familiar with aerospace, you know how absurd this is. It really make no sense why a company like Heroux continues to employ this person. Other areas of management (ie - purchasing) seem to have learned their business acumen from watching daytime tv dramas. While I was there, the turnover was huge. Most people were talking about their interviews at other companies. Everybody, at all levels, hated their job. From the looks of the other reviews, not much has changed in the past 2 years. This might be a good place to be an intern. It'll look good on a resume. If you're a seasoned pro, stay away. Cancel the interview. I gave 2 stars to "career opportunities" because, with so much turnover, you'll probably get decent exposure to different parts of the business.

Advice to Management

The hockey jerseys were cute. Maybe you'll get to keep it after you get fired for failing an FAA audit.

"Aerospace and Defense Companies"

I worked at Héroux Devtek full-time

Pros

There is not shortage of challenges.

Cons

They most often operate below skeletal conditions with staffing.

Advice to Management

Actually believe in your 5 R's for all employees, not just for those from Montreal. If you do, you truly could be a global leader, otherwise you will continue to alienate persons from other regions that will feel that they can not achieve success because they are not French-Canadian.

"Worst Place I have ever worked"

I worked at Héroux Devtek full-time

Pros

Free parking,casual attire for office people.

Cons

As other reviews have stated, the French Canadian Management is horrendous! Mgmnt makes unattainable goals and when workers can't make these impossible goals, they are fired. Office personnel work a ridiculous amount of overtime and get no thanks/no pay. There is NO training.Everything is tracked by manually updated excel spreadsheets. Do NOT consider applying at HDI unless you want to be miserable.

Advice to Management

HR should have a backbone and straighten out or fire the Managers that abuse employees, starting at the top in Strongsville.