H.BLOOM Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Bryan Burkhart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Account Executive"

I have been working at H.BLOOM full-time

Pros

Great flexible schedule, awesome co-workers, fun selling plants and flowers, ability to meet a wide variety of clientele, tons of perks

Cons

Work from home, miss the workplace interaction, far from HQ have to hear things via grapevine, communication issues

Advice to Management

Communicate more frequently

2. "Working there made me realize what I don't want in an employer and coworkers. So it was a blessing in disguise"

Pros

Office is near the water and easy to go running after work which was really nice. Unfortunately that's about it.

Cons

Poor management. No accountability for upper management and they don't even hide their favoritism. They don't treat employees well and wonder why no one sticks around...

Advice to Management

Honesty and integrity go a long way.

"Poor Business Model Combined with Unethical Management Made this Job a Horrible Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at H.BLOOM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Able to work from home 100% of the time and put in minimal hours for a full time salary. Easy to have a side-gig.
    - A few decent people, namely the (only) developer they kept on staff and a couple of account executives.

Cons

- Blew through $20 million of venture capital in less than two years
    - Promoted all the wrong people
    - Unsustainable business model and shady business practices
    -No HR team to address the constant conflicts and instances of workplace un-professionalism. We even made it a running joke to “call HR”
    - Account Executives are given little to no resources to manage clients and maintain a successful book of business
    - Employees are pitted against each other and made to fear for their positions
    - Blatant sexism from senior management - only men at the top, 95% of the rest of the team is female. I frequently overheard the COO tell a young woman on the team to “play the damsel in distress” or “act dumb” when clients had concerns, rather than addressing the underlying issue.
    - Sales reps are given no resources to effectively work with their assigned partner vendors. Many reps have been bullied or harassed by partners they were forced to work with.
    - Partner vendors are not pre-vetted or monitored in any way. One of the partner vendor’s lead team members has an open charge against him for molestation of a minor. Management took no steps to investigate when this concern was raised.
    - CEO and COO got so tired of hearing our complaints that they “promoted” another sales rep to manage our relationships with vendors. The person assigned to the role seemed to never be available when real issues came up.
    - They don’t pay promised expense reimbursements or other earned income upon departure of the company. It’s made clear that if you want the money owed to you, you can sue.

Advice to Management

I'll gladly provide advice for a fee. I've already done far too much work "in kind" for you.

"Account Executive Position"

Pros

- make your own hours
    - flexible scheduling
    - self-teach
    - network with area professionals and develop valuable connections for the future

Cons

- no training
    - no support
    - no business structure
    - no reimbursement for company spendings

"Run as fast as you can."

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

Pros

The pizza place located a few blocks down.

Cons

Horrible management, horrible business model, constant layoffs, downgrades, commission cuts, salary changes, no mentors, lack of adequate training, constant turnover, no work life balance

Advice to Management

Shut down. It should be illegal for a company this inefficient to be in business.

"Started off great, then went way down hill, both the product and service and the overall organization"

I worked at H.BLOOM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome product and idea, limited understanding by management of how to get to ideal end results

Cons

Difficult to grow and open new markets without ample investment, floral industry has spent decades under cutting each other and making it difficult to create a sustainable service for customers, inexperienced founders with limited industry knowledge and inability to run a profitable company. Questionable business model that underwent multiple changes over the years. The brightest, and best leaders in the company were recently let go, making it a completely different type of company to be apart of.

"Mixed Feelings"

Pros

People in local office were great and the opportunity to learn, even just by overeseeing, business development in early stage was interesting - reason for 2 stars

Cons

Upper management is not clear or honest with employees about the future of the company.

Advice to Management

Changes in a young company are understandable but managing expectations internally should also be a priority.

"A huge mistake."

I worked at H.BLOOM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are very few pros to working at this horrible company. I had written a positive review a few months back after the HR manager, (who was shortly thereafter abruptly fired along with 10 other senior employees) bothered us daily to write something positive on Glassdoor to bury all the bad reviews this company was getting. BUT since then, I have decided to speak the truth. The only pro to this company are the people. Not so much management, although the COO is hilarious and insanely smart but the sales team. They made daily work somewhat bearable.

Cons

DO NOT let H.Bloom trick you into the thinking that the "bumps in the road", the constant changes and their complete and total lack of respect and interest in their employees well-being has ANYTHING to do with them being a startup. A successful startup listens to ideas, invests their time in training employees, appreciates insight and instills confidence. The CEO of the company and the SEED manager "C" will belittle you and make you fight for your position even once you've done all that they told you it would take for you to secure it.

The job itself is exhausting and it's tough to make a sale on "luxury flowers" when the markup is about 300%. Rather than going through H.Bloom, companies have learned to go directly to the florist H.Bloom partners with and get the same quality arrangements for a much smaller price.

The CEO is ultimately a salesman and nothing more. He's in it for the money and will literally sell you on the company and the position - uprooting you from your current city and job, all under false promises. So many times I've heard him carry on during sales meetings about "the future of H.Bloom" and how "deeply he cares for each and every one of his employees" but that is simply just not true. The SEED manager is cut throat and has her own quota to meet. She is also always gossiping about co-workers and, being that the HR department was fired 6 months ago, no one does anything about it. There is NO training or appreciation of employees. It's sad because I think H.Bloom is really on its way out. I moved back to the city they uprooted me from and am much happier at another job!!

Advice to Management

It's a lost cause.

"Met some great people, but company is absolutely miserable to work for"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at H.BLOOM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Work in Manhattan
    - COO is absolutely awesome, if only the rest of upper management had the same great attitude and drive that he does

Cons

- You are glued to a computer all day making phone calls and trying to set up "meetings" with companies, this requires no education or real talent.
    -Pay is extremely low, especially if you want to live in Manhattan
    - Sales manager "C" is extremely rude, catty and overall just not a nice person. She clearly chooses favorites the moment you come through the door and doesn't have a problem hiding her feelings towards you at all. Basically if you don't have the same catty attitude as hers, she won't like you
    - When I applied, I applied and accepted a position that would have placed me in Hawaii, by the time I got to training 3 weeks later I found out that this position was no longer available and the majority of upper management had been fired just weeks before I started
    - You are promised one thing, and when it comes time for H.Bloom to follow through on that promise, they come up with all sorts of excuses as to why they can't deliver it to you.
    - HIGH TURNOVER!
    -They all think that for some reason cold calling is the best thing ever - let's be honest here. If you busted your butt in college to get a great job post-grad cold calling is about the furthest thing you could be doing that is utilizing any sort of skill you learned in college. Instead it makes you second guess why you are even at the company
    - They put a glamorous front, but in reality there is absolutely nothing even remotely great about this job
    - When I read these reviews as an applicant I wish I would have taken them more seriously. I only hope that future applicants will read these and really take to heart what previous experiences have been like. Unless your idea of a dream job is calling hundreds of businesses every day only to be hung up on, or reach someones voicemail this job isn't for you.

Advice to Management

You need to start truly valuing your employees, especially your new hires. Showing and telling them that they are constantly disposable is not a way to keep people around and show them that they are valued employees who mean something to the company. You will never grow like you want to if you keep treating people like this. It only takes a couple weeks for your true company colors to be exposed, and based on your extremely high turnover rates they clearly aren't very good.

"BEWARE"

Former Employee - Account Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Associate in New York, NY

I worked at H.BLOOM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some great girls and it was a learning experience

Cons

- Never know who is going to be fired next
    - Can never trust management
    - Poor business model, goes through actual florists then hikes up prices
    -Management can spend money on lavish parties and unlimited booze but cant expedite business cards to remote Account Executives
    -Management has no loyalty to anyone
    -Unfulfilled promises
    -Never ending gossip
    - terrible pay
    - "training" is actually 3 months of cold calling
    - never know how much money you'll make each pay period

Advice to Management

Value your employees and be honest