H. D. Smith Reviews | Glassdoor

H. D. Smith Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

2.2
H. D. Smith President and CEO Dale Smith Jr.
Dale Smith Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The starting pay is decent, considering the low cost of living in Springfield, IL (in 4 reviews)

• Nice people, good benefits, decent work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • However upper management knows this yet look the other way as the only requirement for the night team is to show up to work (in 5 reviews)

• No work/life balance, incentive bonuses very rarely paid (in 3 reviews)

1. "Supply Chain Planner"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Planner in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Planner in Springfield, IL

I have been working at H. D. Smith full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, reasonable amount of PTO, relaxed dress code, and affordable city to live in.

Cons

In Springfield IL, very few holidays, management is trying to find its footing, hard to schedule time off, and no match on 401k.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the middle management, make sure that the employees are not constantly being asked to work additional hours, and clearly define what tasks an employee has.

"The Wandering Underdog in a Vicious Industry"

I have been working at H. D. Smith full-time

Pros

Nice coworkers. The starting pay is decent, considering the low cost of living in Springfield, IL. Small company allows a lot of career exploration opportunities for a young, ambitious employee.

Cons

The company is struggling financially, partly due to the state of the industry and partially due to poor senior leadership. While the starting pay is nice, the company doesn't give great raises (outside of a promotion... and there are a lot of promotions, driven by the continuous turn over of employees) and NEVER pays out on profit sharing.

Advice to Management

Give proper raises, or else employees will continue to walk out the door after no more than 2 years on the job.

3. "2nd shift picker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at H. D. Smith full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean break room and smoking area . nice quite place to work. Would like to listen to radio though. Very controlled environment so no radio's!!!!

Cons

People need a set time when to get off work! Dont like working on holidays its unfair to us! So i quit wasn't working on xmas!

Advice to Management

No holidays have respect for your workers!!!!

"Ineffective Management at all levels"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Kearny, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Kearny, NJ

I worked at H. D. Smith full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lunch time is great. Parking lot is nice. Vacation is granted when needed and off time is usually not a big issue

Cons

Management for Inside sales is very ineffective at managing and giving advice. Your management is very uneducated and it shows.

Advice to Management

You need to put competent people in management positions who know how to lead

"Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at H. D. Smith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, fun at times

Cons

I work at Triplefin, a subsidiary of H.D. Smith. We were acquired by them 4 years ago. Since that time, I watched countless good people who worked hard every day and were extremely talented be terminated for no reason. Most of time, it was communicated as a "re-organization" and for "the better" of the company. The people I worked with at H.D. Smith were overbearing and seemed to think they were in control of what we did at Triplefin and could do it better, but had a complete lack of understanding of the work. It is very apparent that they have a hidden agenda to phase out the Cincinnati office by consolidating the "low hanging fruit" departments to Springfield. They dissolved HR years ago and now it's apparent IT, Training and Marketing are next since they let 9 people go this week. Good people, hard workers. The stress of us that work there is extremely high since we watch good people and friends walk right out the door not knowing whose next. The company is doing poorly.

Advice to Management

Start looking closer at senior management.

"Just sad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

I worked at H. D. Smith full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many nice people, fun at times, because leadership is bad many employees just create their own projects.

Cons

It hard to know where to start. Terrible senior leadership results in the company spinning their wheels and running in 100 different directions. Most executives are disconnected from the real work and are just out for themselves. Few of them do any real work, and many don't really understand the business. They create competing priorities and can't stick to a consistent direction or strategy for any length of time. Field positions constantly disappear 1 or 2 at a time so no one notices while keeping corporate fat. HR leadership is the worst I have ever experienced, serving only to support the constant churn of employees in and out of the company as cheap as they can and on top of it they are not even nice. They bury company problems and will rip you off on your way out the door. This company is really struggling I bet they will be for sale soon.

Advice to Management

Cutting low dollar positions at the bottom of the totem pole is not going to save the company. If my last name was Smith I'd probably fire all my execs.

7. "Purchasing Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

I have been working at H. D. Smith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is committed to excellence.

Cons

Downturn in the pharmaceuticals industry due to ACA caused financial concerns.

8. "Warehouse Manager"

Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Georgetown, IN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Georgetown, IN

I worked at H. D. Smith (Less than a year)

Pros

Great family owned company. Innovative and always looking to improve.

Cons

Tough to compete with other larger companies in same industry.

9. "Descent Place to work"

Former Employee - Help Desk in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Help Desk in Springfield, IL

I worked at H. D. Smith (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and long-standing company.

Cons

Lack of communication across departments.

Advice to Management

Realize the value of every employee.

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, IL

I have been working at H. D. Smith full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The owners are kind and there are some family aspects to the environment. Most of the employees are nice.The IT dept. is proactive in developing solutions but they are restricted by budget and staffing. An "OK" place for a person fresh out of college to get a few years of experience but not a career place.

Cons

Every dept. and area are siloed. Nothing is strategically planned and often conflicts what other areas are doing. Sales/Category and Warehouses often complete with each other resulting in negative growth. The company can't compete with the Big 3 competitor's volume and will never have comparable pricing. Most depts. are short staffed resulting in overwork and high turnover which causes to a lack of continuity in work knowledge and business expertise. There is a lack of trust in management and HR and too much middle management that are "Yes" people. Little room for advancement.

Advice to Management

They need to evaluate the compressing market due to Federal changes and competition and choose what they can be successful with instead of clinging to the way it was in 2003.