H E B Reviews

Updated May 20, 2022

Found 8,081 of over 8,439 reviews

4.3

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The pay is good and you get raises 2 a year till u hit mid Pont(in 1100 reviews)
  • "The benefits were great and I still haven't seen a better 401k at any other company.(in 612 reviews)
  • "I am a cashier and have found that the people I work with are great.(in 370 reviews)
  • "The flexible hours and the people you work with are what make the job good.(in 333 reviews)
  • "Flexible Scheduling and ease of changing shifts(in 258 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of H E B and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Flexible workplace

Jan 10, 2022 - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

HEB always worked with my university schedule. They take care of students and support their needs. It's easy to get along with coworkers and it's a great place to build interpersonal/communication skills.

Cons

Fast paced environment, customers are always supposed to be right which can be stressful sometimes. Depending on the schedule, you may not have enough help with bagging groceries.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Awesome First Job

May 20, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good coworkers, and good flexibility for school

Cons

Inconsistent work hours throughout the week

3. 3.0

Somewhat ok

May 17, 2022 - Grocery Bagger
    Business Outlook

Pros

I like working ith the people that I am surrounded by. Not the customers, the workers. Everyone is sweet, nice, and understanding, also very easy to get along with. The pay is good as long as you get enough hours. I started this job 9 months ago(today is 5/17/22) and I still like the environment.

Cons

When I first started I was making a decent amount of money. Enough to get me by and enough to save. But that was 9 moths ago. These past two months I have been getting bad paychecks because H-E-B has cut my hours. I have been struggling to save and my financial state has not been well like it was months before. I would get a different job but unfortunatly with the position I am in I cannot at the moment. I used to get 25 to 30 hours a week but these last two months I have been getting 13 to 20 which may seem like a lot but in in the world that we live in today where gas prices and food prices along with bills that have been increasing, I need to save. And the customers are extremly rude, and I get it your goign to get there whereever you go but Im talking about the town, people are extremly rude here and customer service is the worst place to be employeed in Burleson.

4. 5.0

Easy job, flexible schedule

May 18, 2022 - Estore Curbie in Mont Belvieu, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The job is super easy, and your coworkers are nice, fun people to be around and work with, including leadership/management. The work itself is mostly physical, and is essentially a no-brain part time job you can make some money on the side at if you're still in school or something like that. If you get the job, management will work with you if your home/life schedule is hectic or weird, to allow you to work at least a few days a week.

Cons

The job is mostly physical and pretty fast paced depending on the day of the week, constantly loading and unloading groceries from their put away locations and into customers cars. Curbside is typically the largest department at any HEB location, so there may occasionally be an issue getting decent hours because so many other people want hours as well.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

The good news/bad news

May 20, 2022 - Cashier/Barista in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work for Central Market, which is an upscale grocery store owned by HEB. For a retail grocer, this company provides very decent pay, and a fairly exceptional array of benefits including insurance, 401K, a generous paid time off policy, and a strong tendency to give back to the community.

Cons

The management at my store takes a hands-off approach. They have been known to watch workers drowning , where the customer load was too great for the small number of employees to handle, and not offer any encouragement or support. And during the current worker shortage due to the Great Resignation- new workers are being hired at pay rates that sometimes exceed the pay of someone who has been a loyal employee for a few years.

6. 3.0

Decent Dead End

Apr 12, 2022 - TSST in Round Rock, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Alone for most of the night. Only have to deal with customers for about 3 hours and for the most part they don't really bother you either. Can listen to music and podcasts or audiobooks if that's your thing - while not technically allowed, most higher-ups don't care.

Cons

Hot, cold, greasy, dirty, and unstimulating. HEB is doing a poor job at keeping it's wages up against similar competition. They also don't account for record inflation so you're essentially getting a pay cut every year. The VPP discount program is a measly 10%. They try to make it seem like the other benefits they offer counterweight this issue, without realizing most hourly employees aren't electing into these programs due to the fact that most people are already living on borderline levels of poverty. Even if I could afford to put money into a 401k, $1.6 for every $1 invested isn't very much when the annual salary cap is only 2.5%. They don't need to just raise their minimum rates, they also need to incentivize a reason for older partners to stick around; it doesn't make any sense for an employee with 2+ years experience to be making nearly the same amount as a new employee. Also, departments complain and criticize too much and constantly want more done with less. Which, by the way, is a great way to get people to do the exact opposite of what you want. People keep stealing our stuff and maintenance acts like they can't share their carts. Wish this place gave preference to current employees for better opportunities in different fields - this place is a dead end in that regard. In summary, Charles Butt, pay me more.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Really amazing job thus far, and great benefits

May 19, 2022 - HEB Curbside Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great work environment -Well organized -Thorough training -Good benefits -Fantastic partner appreciation -LGBTQ+ friendly -Very flexible

Cons

-3 weeks in advance for days off, availability changes, etc -Often one manager will tell you to do one thing, and another will give you a different directive and then you get in trouble for not being able to follow both at once -They're a little overbearing in their approach to making sure everything gets done

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

The company is changing.

Mar 19, 2022 - Warehouse/Safety Clerk in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, competitive pay for experience level.

Cons

Long hours. Management is a revolving door. Little to no opportunity to move up. Small pay increases spread out over long periods of time. Overly strict attendance policies that are subject to change week-by-week, especially during the pandemic.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Boring but a Solid Start

Apr 27, 2022 - Total Store Sanitation Team Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work is easy, consistent, rewarding in its own way. Hours are easy to obtain. Part time but easily getting 40hrs/wk and it’s possible to get OT when it’s approved. You can always have headphones and listen to a podcast. Easy to find time to work on PDS/CDS if approved.

Cons

Boring af. Zero intellectual stimulation. If you have a good work ethic chances are your coworkers won’t. Lots of turnover. Lazy people will think your job is to simply push a broom around, nah fam, we do it all every night around here.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Review

May 19, 2022 - Sales Associate/Cashier in League City, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for! Flexible with your schedule if you are a college student. They always go above and beyond for their employees and customers.

Cons

No complaints here. I loved working at HEB!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 8,081 Reviews

H E B Reviews FAQs

H E B has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 8,439 reviews left anonymously by employees. 86% of employees would recommend working at H E B to a friend and 78% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, H E B employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at H E B. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

86% of H E B employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated H E B 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at H E B to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be workplace, management.

Popular Careers with H E B Job Seekers