H E B Reviews

Updated May 6, 2021

4.4
Pros
  • "Good pay as well as friendly staff(in 425 reviews)

• "Flexible schedule for students; room to move up in company(in 314 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Longer shifts for a part time employee(in 137 reviews)

• "Sometimes you get caught up working long hours(in 109 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of H E B and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

HEB is amazing and very accommodating

Nov 16, 2020 - In-store Shopper
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very flexible with schedule, professional when it comes to dealing with customers and employees. They offer a wide variety of benefits and constantly help their employees

Cons

It's very competitive to get into HEB .

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good

May 5, 2021 - Cashier in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to pick your hours. It is good for students.

Cons

There are occasionally, poor interactions with customers.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Not your momma's grocery store

Apr 27, 2021 - Bookkeeper
      Business Outlook

Pros

Every story I hear about companies in industries like fast-food or retail sales paints those workplaces like a little hell on earth. I haven't dealt with any of them, because I work at HEB. I started as a cashier and was readily able to work my way up.

Cons

Flexible hours means YOU need to be flexible, more than they are flexible for you. Hours can be wildly inconsistent as a result. Management seems to rotate regularly, and not all management is created equal. They can make your life hell, or be great, but they likely wont be there for more than a year or two. Also, good luck moving out of the in-store workforce, you'll need it.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company Culture, Great Benefits, Promising Future for Technology Org

Apr 2, 2021 - Software Engineer II in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great work life balance (I rarely find myself working over 40 hours a week) - Progressive company culture in the technology org - Company is beloved/respected by customers, and gives back to the community - In my position, I am given 23 days of PTO (not including holidays or medical leave). - H-E-B offers matching contributions on the first 2.5% you save on a pre-tax basis or as a Roth Contribution (including catch-up contributions) each year. - Partner Stock Plan (Based on annual company performance, H-E-B will make contributions to eligible employees PSP account, based on the individual employee's annual earnings) - Quarterly bonuses based on company performance, and calculated as a percentage of employee's salary (over my 5 years, I have always received a quarterly bonus) - Company is making a visible effort to become more inclusive and transparent

Cons

- As of 2019-2021, the company is undergoing a lot of change to adapt to the competition in the ecommerce market. While I think this is good and necessary, it does mean the org structure is relatively unstable. I've had almost 6-7 different managers in my 5 years here.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good job

May 4, 2021 - Cashier in Sugar Land, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I like that you can let them know what hours you are able to work. You can pick up extra shifts. You can grow within the company. You get paid 15min breaks depending on the hours you work. discounts and your hard work does not go unnoticed.

Cons

I wish part time employees could get benefits. But I did not have a negative experience working here

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company overall

May 5, 2021 - Cross Functional Representative in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay Benefits Community leaders Perks Local inclusivity

Cons

Outdated, rigid attendance policy Physically taxing Sometimes feel invisible to “store leaders.”

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

With better management, it would be the perfect place to work.

Apr 3, 2021 - Day Floor Care/Maintenance in Round Rock, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great pay, especially for janitorial work. Started mine at $10/hr and you can make up to $17/hr in this position. When I was working there, I got a small raise every year and left at $13/hr -Freedom to move around the store and interact with people in other departments regularly. -Warming atmosphere and people in general

Cons

-Management, or the lack thereof, leaves you wondering how these people got their jobs. At least at my store, which is the flagship store for my city, managers are constantly using maintenance partners for their personal projects and sometimes fighting with each other over who got to use us. -Scheduling makes absolutely no sense at times. They will schedule more partners than are needed on a slow day and not enough on busy days. -Some of your coworkers...leave a lot to desired and you might as well be working that those shifts on your own. -Job is routine work and can get boring if the right people leave the team.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

May 5, 2021 - Stocker in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Make great friends for life.

Cons

No cons inlet you make them

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Working for HEB

Apr 29, 2021 - Maintenance Partner
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has a very energetic and enthusiastic approach to educating and working with it's partners to ensure the success of every employee involved.

Cons

The only bad thing that I can say is that the work place politics amongst the higher ups has gotten in the way several times of store expansion.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing workplace

May 5, 2021 - Parking Lot Attendant in Conroe, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

pay, the care for employees

Cons

HEB is very strict on policy

Viewing 1 - 10 of 5,474 Reviews