H E B Reviews | Glassdoor

H E B Reviews

Updated June 17, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Allows me to participate in volunteer services while having a flexible schedule when I'm in school (in 160 reviews)

• Great company with great benefits for the employees (in 160 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to get full-time hours (in 88 reviews)

• Work/life balance can be hard at holiday but is expected in retail (in 35 reviews)

"Houston Warehouse Employer of LAST resort"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Corporate culture is the best. CEO is world class.

Cons

Houston warehouse management is the worst. Only join if you are desperate for a job or are young and need to build your resume. San Antonio is different that is where you should work...avoid Houston at ALL costs.

Advice to Management

Stop the good old boy network and promote people based on merritt. Stop holding back people smarter than you.

2. "Stay away"

Current Employee - Order Selector in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Order Selector in Houston, TX

Pros

I could not find one good thing to say.

Cons

They hire you telling you that you are a partner the treat you like trash. You must work every weekend something they never tell you. The veterans all call in leaving you to work 14 hours when you are there. There is NO safety, the forklift drivers will run over you to make there time. The incentive is garbage, run all week for 125 bucks. When you take a break the supervisors come looking for you. This place is a joke seasoned selectors this is not a place for you.

Advice to Management

Make the employees follow the safety rules put in place by vpp. Hire managers that have been selectors, therefore they understand the complaints from the selectors. Get off your butt and go see what's happening in the aisle. There are so many open drink bottles in snacks on the floor because the time restrains does afford them time to go to the vending machine. Take your job seriously, don't be rude when the selectors are complaining. The order selector is the heart of any logistic company if the right stuff doesn't got out the door every time the company crumbles. So while you are sitting around looking crazy playing all day that selector you just walked by while his pallet has fell everywhere......stop being lazy atleast pick up 1 box.

3. "Bakery"

Current Employee - Bakery in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Bakery in Spring, TX

I have been working at H E B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starting pay is higher than starting pay at most other places.

Cons

Severe lack of cooperation and involvement from management. Little to no training of how to do your job. My entire department is constantly on the verge of walking out. The ones who won't quit are afraid to talk to HR about problems. HR will file a report, but will immediately tell the manager in question who spoke to them. It makes an environment of fear to report problems.

Advice to Management

Don't just walk by the departments and say "Hello" once to your employees. Get involved, speak to them, and ask them how they are doing. Ask them if anything is troubling them. Don't just ask the manager how everything is going, talk to everyone.

4. "Poor upper management, Lack of HR involvement"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at H E B part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good for the position.

Cons

Management lacks maturity and any work ethics
    Management tries to discourage reporting work place injuries.

Advice to Management

Properly train employees for the position before you reprimand them for making mistakes.
    Treat your employees with respect.

5. "Selector"

Current Employee - Order Selector in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at H E B (More than a year)

Pros

Not one pro is this joke of a company

Cons

If your willing to risk your life for production fill free to come get a job at the warehouse, watched a guy get hit today and slammed into the medal pole all because of production, as far as I'm concerned you can risk as many lives as you want because of production but once a life ends you will be shut down and none of you willl have pay. Which is what I am in hopes for. Every day that you step into this facility you are risking your life because of production, nothing any longer is focused on the well being of your employees it's about how much product you can push out on our, ever so weak backs, legs, shoulders etc. I'm sorry it's way more of a risk to work here than it is worth it, you definitely don't make the money that you all say and incentive is a joke when the system bends you over backwards when your at 120. Than proceeds to give you an impossible assignment. The upper management at its finest is pathetic. If you don't pul your numbers, get hurt or show up a second late you have a couple chances then termed. Place is by far the most dangerous, horrible place I have ever worked
    Also if you would like to get screwed out of your raise come goin the team and see how well Heb takes care of its employees.

Advice to Management

Every day that you step into this facility you are risking your life because of production, nothing any longer is focused on the well being of your employees it's about how much product you can push out on our, ever so weak backs, legs, shoulders etc. I'm sorry it's way more of a risk to work here than it is worth it, you definitely don't make the money that you all say and incentive is a joke when the system bends you over backwards when your at 120. Than proceeds to give you an impossible assignment with no where near enough time.

6. "Toe the line"

Former Employee - Dairy/Grocery Associate in Cuero, TX
    Former Employee - Dairy/Grocery Associate in Cuero, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, clear what YOUR duties are.

Cons

Your duties are always more than time allocated, but you're still expected to finish

Advice to Management

Maintain a full staff and stop hiring children to do grown-up work.

"Don't beleive the propoganda"

Former Employee - HEB Cashier in Fredericksburg, TX
    Former Employee - HEB Cashier in Fredericksburg, TX

I worked at H E B part-time

Pros

Some money in the bank? I really can't think of anything else. I guess I need more words but I honestly can't think of any pros except for "its a job".

Cons

Where do i start? They overwork everyone that's not management. Every shift I worked up front on the register was 9 hours on average with 2 15 minute breaks and a half hour lunch but if it was busy, the shift managers would simply "forget" to let me on any sort of break. I would also see at the end of my shift that someone had clocked me in and out of breaks I didn't take. Probably to cover for the fact that they were overworking the staff illegally.
    Management make huge errors and mistakes and then blame and punish the people under them so the higher ups wouldn't see that it was them
    There's a lot of competitions for the cashiers or "promotions" as they call them where whoever sells the most of whatever is on promotion gets....drumroll please.....NOTHING (except not berated and written up for not selling 50 things of cheap cafe ole coffee bags in one friggin day) the pressure to sell as as cashier made me feel like a pusher and customers would really get aggrivated with the constant attempts aggrivated selling something no one wants
    There were also "bpm" quotas. Beeps per minute. It means how many things u scan in a minute. The standard was 30 when I worked there which was impossible. That means u have to scan an item a second. Management (who it was also impossible for) would try to teach cashiers how to achieve this which basically consisted of nothing more than just saying "use both hands and hustle" or "after awhile that burning in your shoulders will eventually go away". You remember i mentioned the shifts were 9 hours on average right? Good. You're keeping up.
    The system they have for scheduling is ridiculous amd promotes a nice clean separation of the managers and "lower people". In order to ask off or take vacation, or even check to see when u work, you have to log into a computer (one computer) in the break room with no chair and use the 15 minute break when you're lucky to get it to stand at this computer and request time off on your online profile which gets sent to your managers profile who is probably sitting in the breakroom with u but would rather not commnicate with u face to face because they probably dont remember your name anyway.
    When u do ask for needed time off, it's rarely granted. I asked for two days off for an operation. Specified "major surgery" as reason. Got message two days after requesting it on my profile that it was denied by my manager. I simply didn't show up the two days I requested off for the surgery and no one even said anything when I returned.
    There's little opportunity to tranfer to other departments or even train in another one despite every department being short staffed which is constantly being complained about by department managers
    I won't even go into all the rules they set in place when interacting with customers and by rules I mean lying about products in order to sell. You're treated like you work on commission when you don't. It really puts blocks up that prevent you from truly helping customers.
    HEB is a huge supporter of the Jewish community in texas. They sponsor a lot of Jewish and other multi cultural events, businesses, and charities so the fact that they force jewish employees to say "merry christmas" and write them up when they don't is illegal. Just plain illegal and one day they will get sued.

Advice to Management

The people you manage are people who's job it is to help other people that are under the roof of that store. They're not cattle and neither are the customers. The employees are customers as well since big papa butt has a monopoly on all of almost all of texas and there really is very little choices for where u do your grocery store. When u say to a customer, as your trained to, "thanks for choosing heb" please remember that they really didn't have a choice so u might as well make it a good experience for everyone involved which is your job anyway. So my advice? Do your jobs. That is all.

"HR manager"

Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Manager in Edinburg, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Manager in Edinburg, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training ground for your next position. Be sure you don't stay too long. You won't have a personal life and will receive calls at all hours with no administrative support.

Cons

They are discriminatory against whites females over 40. I interviewed for a Director position and the Hispanic male interviewers gave the promotion to a Hispanic female under age 30. Then they had the audacity to ask me to share my ideas from my interview with the incompetent person they selected. Needless to say, I left the company and she was demoted after a year.

Advice to Management

Even though the EEOC sanctions for age discrimination against HEB have expired, you should look at your discriminatory practices. You are still doing it. The incompetency of your Human Resources in the Border region is unbelievable.

9. "Nepotism at its finest"

Current Employee - Order Selector in San Marcos, TX

Pros

If you're into being left alone while you work, you can count that as a pro for this company. Otherwise, I can't think of anything else that really stands out as something to look positively on. Some might say that the pay is good, but for the level of work one does, the pay is peanuts.

Cons

Where do I begin? This company is a mess. The infrastructure is a muddled cobweb of nepotism, and favoritism. It's a good ol boys club, and if you're not a butt kisser, then expect to slog through your work day like an Egyptian slave constructing the great pyramid of Giza. Management is a joke. No one in the upper echelon is held accountable for their actions. And, they spend their days sitting on their fat butts, eating popcorn, and drinking cheap coffee. When they are on the floor, they give you the stink eye of all stink eyes, and expect you to sacrifice your well being for the company's productivity. I could go on and on, but with what I've described entails a whole lot more. The machine is broken, and the cogs need a greasing. Work here at your own peril.

Advice to Management

Wake up! Open your eyes and smell the coffee, you slave driving nepotisitic minions to money.

10. "Good benefits"

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Dripping Springs, TX
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Dripping Springs, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent raises, great coworkers, made great friends along the way. Store was always clean. Potential to learn more in your department.

Cons

Managers are poorly trained . They tell you that is the incorrect way to do a task but yet they have no idea because they've never worked in your department . Not flexible with scheduling, deny vacation requests continuously . Do not take care of employees injured on the job. Department managers disappear all day. Employees dinners are always day old food. They can do better but won't . Hold employees accountable that create a hostile environment. When everyone is quitting/transferring because of one employee there is an issue. Make you work overtime when you have a life and a family. It's ok sometimes but when it's consistently happening it's an issue .

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They know more than you think . Hold employees accountable for their actions. Treat injured employees with sympathy and respect, it's not their fault. Try working in each department so your knowledgeable of the products and SOP's.

Showing 73 of 2,108 reviews