H E B Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends

2,028 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great company with great benefits for the employees (in 159 reviews)

• Allows me to participate in volunteer services while having a flexible schedule when I'm in school (in 157 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to get full-time hours (in 85 reviews)

• Work/life balance can be hard at holiday but is expected in retail (in 34 reviews)

1. "Horrible experience"

Current Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

Pros

Discount on groceries is pretty nice

Cons

Not very professional managers, their work attire is bad.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse

2. "Living Hell"

Current Employee - Cashier in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Spring, TX

Pros

The pay was good, and they were extremely flexible with schedules for school and time off requests.

Cons

Managers have no respect at all for employees below them

3. "Great for kiss ups"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant

Pros

Parnter Perks very genourous people.

Cons

Bad management , they suck they don't make sense at all

Advice to Management

Make changes in management

5. "it did not end good"

Former Employee - Bagger in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Bagger in San Antonio, TX

Pros

free groceries when applicable and turkey

Cons

terrible management in the front end and produce

6. "needs new management"

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in West Columbia, TX
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in West Columbia, TX

Pros

they will hire anyone just to get a job done. the people are friendly who work there. hires a bunch of young people.

Cons

alot of work for not enough money. the management doesnt tell you any ting unless you do something wrong. wouldnt be a bad place if it was managed different

Advice to Management

better training. more pay. try to get more quality people to work there instead of the first people who walk through the door.

7. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Central Checkout Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Central Checkout Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have a good work ethic, it will be easy to advance. After working here for 6 months, I was 'promoted' from a cashier to a central checkout specialist. I was about to go into training for a central checkout manager at 1 year, but had enough of our CCOM.

Cons

I was promised a titled position and a raise, but management shifted and I continued to act as a manager but never received the title or compensation as promised. I was quite unnerved. Eventually, the new manager stopped scheduling me completely. The managers at my store would keep you in your department as well, if you wanted to transfer it was terrible. No one wanted to stay in the front end at all, but our CCOM would completely block us. Even from transferring stores. Full time hours, no full time benefits.

The hours really suck. If you have an open schedule, which is pretty much required, you'll be scheduled to close one day (1AM) and the next day you'll be scheduled to open (6AM). If it takes you 30 minutes to drive home, it really sucks.

The inconsistencies in the management sucked too. The managers at my store weren't well coordinated and implemented new company policies inconsistently. One manager would tell you to be firm on one policy, the other would tell you to completely disregard it.

Advice to Management

If you promise something to your employee, give it to them.
    Also, compensate your employees properly. I worked there for 1 year, and was promoted to manager and was making 9.06$ an hour... When a cashier who worked there for 3 months got a bump to 9.10. We both started at 8.50. What the heck??

"Started Rude - Ended Worse"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall a great company. The stores are great with great products. A lot of great people. And the corporate facility is beautiful. Networking is everywhere.

Cons

Lacks career opportunities for individuals who do not pucker up. Design & Construction department allowed several employees to treat other department members badly. Leadership needs improvement. HR no help when you really need it.
    In the stores - the bagging training needs to be brought back. Former family culture is slipping.

Advice to Management

Actually use the because people matter surveys to improve the departments that score low. Make management accountable for issues they ignore. Note - High turnover in a small department means there is a major problem with management.

9. "If you are thinking about coming here think again."

Current Employee - Order Selector in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Order Selector in Houston, TX

I have been working at H E B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They tell you how good the company is and what they stand for and how much they care about you.

Cons

It's a struggle to get forty hours a week , sometimes you could get two to three hours early. Then at the end of the week you are left with 36 hours or less. They say its full time but more like part time . You can come in on your off day if they let you work. Which that might be only two hours. Or you can go to another department but they use who they want and won't let you work. Bottom line is that you can not make money like they claim and you can't get overtime when you need it . You only make $400.00 a week . If that's enough for you then come on but it's not for me I wish I would had never left my old job for this crap.

Advice to Management

Stop being greedy when will you give to the needy !!!!

10. "soul sucking job"

Former Employee - Shelf Edge Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Shelf Edge Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at H E B part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

paid weekly. I can't think of any other.

Cons

micro-management, abusive management, erratic schedules, almost impossible to get full time. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. Reporting unethical behavior of an abusive manager is a joke as it's not taken as seriously as it should, based on what I witnessed.

Advice to Management

Revamp the management structure of your entire company. You need to institute a better way to deal with employee complaints in regards to abusive managers.

11. "More than meets the eye"

Former Employee - HEB Cashier in Hondo, TX
    Former Employee - HEB Cashier in Hondo, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance package for employees and family is fairly good, 401k package is also good for employees. Work hours are decent.

Cons

Limited promotions at store level, overextend to please with no gratitude from management, not so much customer service but rather management service.

Advice to Management

Rotate management including unit and store management with other stores. Fresher and nicer management needed.

Showing 2,028 of 2,052 reviews