H.W. Kaufman Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 4, 2018

3.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great family company"

I have been working at H.W. Kaufman Group full-time

Pros

- Great people in a family company
    - Interesting and challenging work
    - Growing company with strong financial performance
    - Lots of career growth opportunities

Cons

- Industry rates are stagnant
    - Technology is disrupting

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people and your technology

2. "weird culture"

Former Employee - IT Support in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - IT Support in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at H.W. Kaufman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

they'll give you money for being there
    nice building

Cons

way too formal of a work environment
    average pay
    they want everyone in the company to have a college degree, regardless of the position

3. "Work Hard Play Hard"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at H.W. Kaufman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment! Excellent opportunities to touch new and emerging technologies. IT management leads by example and closely follows company mission statement. Family oriented atmosphere. Extremely fun and low stress environment to work in. Colleagues are motivated to be the best.

Cons

No opportunities for flex time and wearing professional attire.

Advice to Management

More interaction with upper management. Improve work-life balance.

"Created to deflect Negative Reviews of Burns & Wilcox"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at H.W. Kaufman Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pros: Can move up fairly quickly through sheer volume of turnovers alone. Pay will increase with each promotion although know that it will always be below industry average. Market access and carrier partnerships is solid. A good organization to gain experience and contacts in the insurance industry if that is what you desire.

Cons

Kaufman Financial Group is only the holding company for Burns & Wilcox as well as other companies - created to deflect from the negative reviews on the Burns & Wilcox Glassdoor - Kaufman Financial is used as a banner to recruit at colleges - DO NOT let it sway your opinion - check out the Burns & Wilcox profile before proceeding with any job offer.

Rooted in mediocracy, clueless middle management, directionless organization that underpays and does not trust its employees. Absolutely Toxic corporate culture – the worst I have ever seen. Fear drives production and the turnover is the highest I have experienced at any organization. Absolutely Toxic corporate culture – the worst I have ever seen. Fear drives production and the turnover is the highest I have experienced at any organization. Management: This is where Burns suffers greatly. It ultimately boils down to one word: Micromanagement. The management team does not even pretend to trust or value its employees on any level. Flexible hours are out of the question – everything is a reason for you to use your PTO – doctors appointment at 4pm? PTO. Blizzard the night before? PTO but you probably should still log in and work remote. Hours are strictly 8:30 to 5:30 but heavily encouraged that you work until 8 or 9PM. Does not understand how to manage or incentivize its employees. Get up from your desk at HQ for more the 20 minutes? Your coworker and management will ask where you have been. Everything is another question even if you are a top tier producer for the organization.
    Training: Training is a large facet of what is advertised as exceptional at Burns – it however is largely a sham built around a name “Kaufman Institute” and much like everything else here is all fluff and no meat. Do not be fooled by Kaufman Emerging Leaders (KELP) or Kaufman Advanced Management Programs (KAMP) these do not teach or provide any value. They prey on college graduates who desire training however these programs are nothing more than a training program you would receive readily at any other organization. Education is something Alan Kaufman, the CEO, has actively preached as a passion of his throughout the industry, specifically education of skilled talent. It is all words with absolutely nothing feasible backing it up.
    Dress: Business professional – Suit and ties everyday, owner has very specific style choice you are expected to follow without question. White or Blue dress shirts preferred, nothing dark. Tie, muted with no loud patterns. Dress shoes should be polished and shined, cap toed. No casual days. Owner will pass judgement and occasionally send out dress code reminders.

Advice to Management

Middle Management at HQ is an absolute dumpster fire - rework and restructure. Ownership does not value or pretend to value its employees - get rid of that everyone is replaceable mindset.

"Room for Improvement"

I worked at H.W. Kaufman Group full-time

Pros

-Opportunity to gain in depth knowledge of the insurance industry

Cons

-Antiquated thinking and decisions made by ego as opposed to reason.
    -No long-term strategies in place for most initiatives. Most ideas are built on a whim.
    -Lack of focus on core business.
    -Petty behavior from some upper management....receiving silent treatment from your department head during final two weeks is a perfect example.
    -Probably a bad sign when an entire department openly discusses looking into other job opportunities.

Advice to Management

Spend more time focusing on successful areas that can be improved even further, as well as areas that need improvement, and less time on inaccurately guessing which former employees are leaving specific reviews.

"Great Place, Constantly Learning"

Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant
    Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant

I have been working at H.W. Kaufman Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of variety in this role, especially when compared to similar roles in other companies. They invest a lot of time into training and growth. I've learned an immeasurable amount during my time at KFG/Burns and continue to learn something new every day.

Cons

Room for growth in this position isn't huge unless you'd like to move into management eventually.

"It sucks to admit that all the negative comments posted about the company are true to the T. Extremely old management."

I worked at H.W. Kaufman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to be in a workplace where there is no work. This is it for you.

There's good and talented people here. Just management sucks and the talented people are useless because of them.

Cons

Lots of favoritism. No flexibility. No appreciation. Zero professional attitude. Timing is a joke. Even during the worst weather you have to be there, or take a vacation day. Management that's been around for 13-14 years and believe that's the only way to do business in 2017. Like printing paper and writing comments on that, rather then using electronic version like a email. Bugs/errors are tracked through email... yes email.

There may be growth in the company, but for the IT department you are running on a clock 30 years back. No one cares about your personal development. If you want to grow this isn't the place. I had To ask my manager multiple times to give me projects, and once I started working on them, for some reason or the other they would be terminated.

You are held accountable even if you are 5 mins late. No one talks about productivity or learning, everyone is too busy gossiping about past staff. This company needs a change so bad, but they aren't even willing to admit they suck.

Advice to Management

You guys need to wake up and see where the rest of the world is. And how they are progressing in business. Employee satisfaction is key, no one is loyal to your company. Recognize leaders that are amongst you, you have them. Just too many dumb and old minded people who don't even know how to use Microsoft word are in charge.

Also, don't hire talented and ambitious people, your company and management cannot handle or cater to them. Neither does your environment deserve them.

"Good if you're desperate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at H.W. Kaufman Group full-time

Pros

So, let me just say most of the people are fantastic. I genuinely enjoyed working with the majority of co-workers in my department.

Cons

While there are a bunch of things I did not like the main ones have to do with the culture of the place. There is a feeling of fear that permeates the atmosphere. As an example, some of the things I was told either before I started or during my first week: No brown suits, no brown shoes, no dark shirts, shoes must be polished, you must memorize facts about the company in order to show Alan (owner) you're "loyal", corporate employees work 8:30 to 5:30 but branch offices work 9 to 5 except when Alan is visiting of course. Also, no fragrant food in the lunch area and any price you negotiate with vendors will have an "Alan" tax. Eventually vendors get wise and just make the price higher to compensate but it sucks at first.

Advice to Management

Loosen up dress code, the current "standard hours" are a joke to everyone working there.

9. "Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at H.W. Kaufman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Long hours and poor work/life balance

10. "Employment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at H.W. Kaufman Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice employers, flexible.

Cons

Always add more work to your load even if it's not in your contract.