H&M Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Daniel Kulle
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • H&M has really good benefits for full-time retail employees (in 209 reviews)

• Great pay great benefits vacation sick time (in 192 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a work life balance (in 100 reviews)

• I wish I could work in H&M for ever (in 163 reviews)

1. "Great company overall. But location I was at - worst management ever!"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Honolulu, HI

I worked at H&M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and the freedom to be unique and ourselves. Allowing our own personal style. The company values and growth opportunities were also awesome.

Cons

Store Management filled with caddy people who should not be managers. Upper management as bad and hardly present. Managers denied favoritism.

Advice to Management

Do research with your local based hires versus just thinking you know how a location will do so you don’t get truly disappointed once you open the store and expectations were not met.

2. "Terrible pay, terrible pay, incompetent management"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at H&M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can wear what you want, and get very mediocre discount that basically takes off tax. Still not enough to cover up the fact that this is the absolute worst job I’ve ever experienced.

Cons

Blaring teen pop music all day long, micromanaging supervisors that get paid more than you to do less, very little care from management for your wellbeing or even sanity, if you are not a favorite or management your shifts will only be closing every week, customers are always the type to argue with you about promotions and give no disregard to the store (one customer alone will trash your entire store in the first hour of being open and the rest throughout the day will do the same even if you are cleaning right next to where they are destroying)

Advice to Management

Stop being petty, actually be willing to do the work you are paid for, stop micromanaging people that actually do their job and start focusing on the people who don’t, hire people that actually want to be there for work, and lastly stop talking smack about sales associates during truck shifts cause it always gets passed around. And stop dismissing sexual harassment issues especially when they have been reported multiple times.

"RUN!!!!!"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at H&M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My colleagues help hold me down! Without a good team I would've quit!

Cons

This place is not a great place to work. To much product in my home store and the stores that I've supported. They (the district, regional, and country teams) make store managers cut hours to the bare bones because overall we're not performing well as a company with sales. So minimal, floor coverage, to much product, and no hours to train new hires properly equals poorly maintained stores and stressed out employees. Also we continue to open stores! Stop!!! The stores that are open can't handle the unrealistic expectations! Where is the support? They demand that we live the H&M values but they do NOT! I used to love what I do.... But not so much anymore.

Advice to Management

Live the h&m values before you criticize, critique and shame store teams on unrealistic expectations. Also cut back on the amount of product in your stores. We are not being set up for success! This is comparable to slave labor.

"Senior management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at H&M full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid benefits and some really decent people work here with a true desire to do there best they are stopped by ego driven executives

Cons

Senior management president sales manage HR treat people like numbers. It's gone from being a good place to work low staff turnover to a high staff turnover low morale uncaring environment. They don't walk the talk

Advice to Management

It's been six years with the same president and no results no profits time to change the problem

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at H&M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing I've come a cross in H&M is the pay. If all you need is money H&M definitely pays above normal rate. They also have great benefits, though if its worth the actual pain of the job is up to you.

Cons

Complete and total lack of communication. Not just with in the store, but across the district and company. There is little to no over sight and problems aren't addressed. Everyone is too worried about looking good to accept and evaluate the things that simply don't work.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about impressing your bosses and start actually managing your business.

"Sales Advisor"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Sarasota, FL

I worked at H&M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (only reason I'm still with the company)

Cons

If you want to grow with the company [which they promote so much] it's next to impossible. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Other issues include; extreme unprofessionalism, false promises of raises/promotions, etc.

Advice to Management

Stick by your policy of claiming to be "place of possible"

"when a company sells a culture based on values, upper managerment should adhere to and showcase those values."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at H&M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great salary, vacation time, Benefits

Cons

upper management, work life balance, inconsistent expectations from DT

Advice to Management

in my career I've worked with many district and area teams, never one so unprofessional as the one in upstate market. There is never support when needed, and the way in which feedback is given is almost insulting. Feedback is supposed to be helpful, whether positive or constructive, not degrading. In meeting amongst my fellow peers, i've witnessed favoritism and sarcastic backlash.

"The Pay is Not Worth the Misery"

Former Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA

I worked at H&M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is above minimum wage for sales associates.
    Overtime is usually available.

Cons

Company devalues people.
    Stress is unbelievable.
    You will work past midnight then be expected back at 5am the next day.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your staff like people.

"The company as a whole is ok. The management can negatively impact your experience."

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Albany, NY

I have been working at H&M part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits free dental. Some of the people you work are cool, some of the supervisors are amazing one in particular. It's a great place to work when your manager has a crush on you and lets you get away with anything.

Cons

The politicking is ridiculous. It's borderline high school, tons of backstabbing and trash talk behind your back. Believe me management isn't above any of this. Back of house issues are talked to on the floor in front of customers and other sales advisors. I mean as long as we're making money the District team couldn't or doesn't give a damm.

Advice to Management

Grow up!

"Fast paced and constant backstabbing"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at H&M full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, health care, everyone below a management position is amazing.

Cons

No support from HR or district, two faced management, company would patch problems in store instead of fixing them.

Advice to Management

Follow the values, they are put in place for a reason. Also don't play favorites, your favorite is probably breaking rules more so than the people you treat poorly.

Showing 209 of 3,018 reviews