H&M Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities

2.0
Daniel Kulle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • H&M has really good benefits for full-time retail employees (in 203 reviews)

• Great pay great benefits vacation sick time (in 185 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a work life balance (in 94 reviews)

• I wish I could work in H&M for ever (in 160 reviews)

1. "Sales Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livingston, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livingston, NJ

I worked at H&M part-time

Pros

Good benefits but only after being there for a long period of time.

Cons

Management at the Livingston mall location does not care about employees. Hours and pay are too low to even consider using the 25% discount. Store forces way too many clothes on racks, to the point that they fall off just by a customer walking near. Most of the clothes are hidden due to large quantities of clothes on the floor which makes items almost impossible to find.

Advice to Management

Be more respectful to employees, place less clothes on the sales racks.

2. "Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Katy, TX

I worked at H&M part-time

Pros

Gifts on holidays
    the people are nice
    meet new people

Cons

no variety with work you will pick up clothes all shift every shift till you learn something new and even then you will have to bug them. I worked there being 5-8 months pregnant only to be told I dont think your working to your best potential you spent 1 shift working on part when this person (who i might add has worked there way longer than me) could have done this and worked on another part. Then when i tried to get rehired i couldn't so yea

Advice to Management

be more sympathetic

3. "Bad Management and Terrible hours"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at H&M part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount ! Lots of contests and events for employees. Amazing discount on their designer collabs !

Cons

Managers are terrible and power hungry. Be prepared to never get any sleep thanks to their scheduling. One shift will be 8-5pm then they will ask you to come in overnight 1am-10am when you just left work at 5pm. Its insane. The customers are rude and the fitting rooms are filthy.

4. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD

I worked at H&M part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My passion for fashion and customer service.

Cons

Not many down falls just no full time work available and no hours.

Advice to Management

Need more opportunities for part timers to grow and develop.

5. "Not a good fit for anyone over 40."

Former Employee - Departmant Manager in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Departmant Manager in Edina, MN

I worked at H&M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Good On-Boarding Experience

Cons

Not age diverse, Store Management played favorites based on personality and not necessarily by performance.

Advice to Management

Make adjustments to expectations as it relates to pacing when employing someone over 40. Don't always rely on the Store Manager to tell you what's going on. Do skip level interviews. You would be amazed by what you find out.

6. "Hard to Grow"

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in City of Industry, CA

I worked at H&M part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the discount? maybe. I can't think of pros with this job. Except the initial hourly wage was better than the minimum wage.

Cons

They had this whole thing about growing within the company. I was with this company a little over 4 years, and I had constantly been telling them that I am interested in being a full timer. They constantly told me I needed to be developed, yet they never scheduled me to get developed. It was frustrating. I was stuck not being able to grow or get a better raise. Towards the end of my employment, I was put in charge of the stockroom and our shipments. It was stressful and most of the time my hard work was never appreciated, didn't even get a raise or anything. I was constantly belittled by one manager who accused me of not doing things when I indeed did. Another thing would be that the managers were never on the same page. One manager would tell you to do something a certain way, and then you do it in front of another manager and then would get scolded for it.

Advice to Management

Be on the same page, actually develop your employees!

7. "If you're in school and not looking for a career, this could possibly work for you."

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Miami, FL

I have been working at H&M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are good (insurance especially).

Cons

Favoritism, management has no credibility, if there is a holiday you won't be off, constant disrespect with no recognition.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and their work ethic and not just for show. The company's apparent slogan is "We Believe In People", but if you're working in a store (not an office) - you're worthless to them. Until you quit, that is, because they actually desperately needed you to get things done and done the efficient way.

""Meh" if your 18 then its for you."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at H&M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to be creative. Decent employee discount. Some managers are awesome. Make new friends at work since you lose your social life outside.

Cons

Its not like it use to be. The company had solid training, cared for employees, good benefits and pay. Used to promote within frequently and fairly, not any more, they have reached their plateau. Tons of work in a fast fast pace environment, store is always messy, majority of customers want you to clean up after them. No social life.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people without the right degrees. Doesn't pay much per hour like used to. Do something better with the perks. Expand your career opportunities.

"Decent Wages, but Stressful Environment"

Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at H&M (More than a year)

Pros

Networking with other employees who are engaged in activities/businesses that are not associated with H&M. Decent Starting Wages in comparison to similar companies. Availability of more hours.

Cons

Stress trickles down from upper management to sales associates. This job is physically taxing (standing up for hours on end with sitting "not allowed"). Overly ambitious sales goals. The workload is often too much for the faculty (low staff). Closing is very late, often times the employees do not leave until 11pm on weekdays, and 12am on Saturday shifts.

Advice to Management

My advise is for upper management, or whoever can actually make a difference. Your employees get burned out: give them longer more frequent breaks, and hire double the staff. It is totally worth it. Your employees should not feel like they are slaving for the company. A happy healthy group of employees will bring a better attitude, and far more sales.

"Great company. Bad store management."

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Advisor in Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Advisor in Commerce, CA

I have been working at H&M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts and first dibs on clothes. Company looks out for employees. Great work/life balance if managers like you. Competitive pay. No experience needed. Values are always in effect.

Cons

Favoritism. Cleaning up after everyone. Bad store management. Time frames to finish projects is unrealistic. There are too many rules that conflict with each other.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. The values and rules and all the other extra stuff would be a great tool if everything was balanced out better. Also! Please train managers even longer. My team is HORRIBLE and is taking an effect on our store.

Showing 323 of 2,881 reviews