H&M Reviews | Glassdoor

H&M Reviews

Updated October 18, 2017

US - All Cities

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • H&M has really good benefits for full-time retail employees (in 203 reviews)

• Great pay great benefits vacation sick time (in 184 reviews)

Cons
  • Slightly lacking of work-life balance (in 94 reviews)

• I wish I could work in H&M for ever (in 159 reviews)

"Very disappointed with H&M. You lost a loyal employee and costumer."

Former Employee - H&M Department Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - H&M Department Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at H&M full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is decent. The sales team is great! Learning experience. Sometimes you get to travel. You get to be creative with your department. The employee discount.

Cons

After being with the company for well over 5 years I was let go for something that was not entirely my fault. If this happened to me, it could happen to you too. The investigation process was horrible. And not only that HR reached out to me but never followed up with me. As an employee for a company I had much respect for I was shocked how poorly I was treated.
    Shame on you H&M.

Advice to Management

Don't you "believe in people" after all?

2. "Department Manager"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Great benefits and very competitive pay! I love the training programs that H&M provides for future development.

Cons

You are expected to be the closing manager with only 2 closers in a huge store and get out on time. There's never enough coverage on the floor. There are always call offs due to H&M being so nice about wellness days. There's always a ton of work to be done with not enough hands on deck. The environment is very laid back which makes me feel that customers aren't the 1st priority!

Advice to Management

When an employee or manager brings a problem fix it ASAP with no feelings involved

"Visual Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Washington, DC

I worked at H&M full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great "company", if your liked promotions will come .. Just work non stop and do what is asked you'll be fine

Cons

They expect you to push a lot of product out that they pretty much keep recycling .. Nobody wants a shirt they got a year or two years ago! Too many stores and still expanding; all bubbles pop when you blow up too fast!

Advice to Management

if you want this to continue to be a great place to work and not just a place to clock in and out then end the favoritism, the 818 district needs to actually live the values and believe in people not just "hear say" as the district manager calls it. Also stop being cheap and penny pinch on job offers, the Metro area is not cheap to live in so if transferring for a promotion from another district be firm on the amount of pay and do your research!!

"The company itself is great!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at H&M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Pay
    Medical Benefits
    PTO
    Wellness
    Growth:company and positions
    Great Values

Cons

District Management Staff plays favorites not because of work ethic, capability, or ability to lead
    A lot of promotions are based on who is liked.
    Hiring practices are not consistent or fair. A lot of new staff is unqualified for the position they are hired for and somehow pass through the process.
    Values are not the way of life for District Staff especially District 820.
    If you want to continue your high school life in a professional work environment with gossip and no action from the District Staff H&M is your place.
    There growth is hindering the companies value.

Advice to Management

Use the results from the GPTW survey and take action.
    A lot of times the leader is the problem.
    Follow your company values it is what attracts applicants to the company.
    Don't sell a dream.
    Yes, you control your growth if and only if you have competent leadership that follows the company values, qualified to due the job, and provides straight forward/honest and open communication with staff.
    I found it odd the District staff does not communicate with each other. No one knows what the other said due and when the visit they go against the direction of the District Sales Manager.
    Fairness is a great opportunity within the district.
    Before you accept a position make sure you have talked with your leader. You can gain a lot of knowledge about their style and their ability to do a job through a basic conversation.
    Don't be all bark and no bite, especially when you are a part of district staff.
    District Recruiter all need to be trained on interviewing techniques and following protocol.

"Definitely NOT A Place of Possible"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Compensation, benefits, discount, branding, sustainability efforts.

Cons

Bureaucracy, negative feedback, significant workload, lack of support, false promises, failure to comply to own standards, ageism, discrimination.

Advice to Management

Very competitive in the compensation dept., but leaders and managers are subjected to an adverse amount of demands, lack of consistency, intolerance to employees adaptation, unrealistic codes of conduct, and a sorely lacking belief in their own seven key values.

6. "Dont Do It unless your young."

Former Employee - Sales in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Sales in Wilmington, DE

I worked at H&M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount and getting first dibs on merchandise. The starting pay.

Cons

Managers are rude and very young.Inconsiderate of employees families and lives.They act is if the world revolves around there business and dont care if you have outside responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Take classes on how to treat employees and watch how you talk to people before y'all get cursed out one day.

"Really bad company"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Houston, TX

Pros

Is a corporation and if you can grow is a great thing

Cons

everything, it used to be a very good company to work for, but not anymore, growing potential is only good if you are good friends with management or if they like you, hard work and loyalty to the company is pretty much irrelevant, the company continues to hire outside management, without giving those opportunities to the people that work inside the company. I've won several things through the company and still not promoted, Ive been a sales advisor for 4 years and someone that was there only for a year got the promotion before I did. I went to the district team to complaint and they did absolutely nothing

8. "Extremely Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at H&M part-time

Pros

My coworkers were around my age so it was easy to get along with them.

Cons

With the exception of one manager, the rest were all extremely dramatic and never actually did their job. They would hide in the break room for hours at a time and refuse to answer walkie-talkie calls from employees asking for help or back-up because it was too busy to be on the floor alone. I would often hear them gossiping about employees, they would text and have certain employees on social media although that is not allowed, and to top things off, they also lost some of my financial information and did not care. I, along with many other employees, tried calling HR but it overall did no use. This H&M location is an AWFUL place to work and I would not wish it on anyone.

Advice to Management

Keep your personal lives and your business lives separate, keep the workplace drama-free, do not project your problem on employees. I feel like you are extremely insecure about yourselves and abuse your power because of it.

9. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Bloomington, IN

I worked at H&M part-time

Pros

Discount is okay. Pay was good.

Cons

I have none. Management is a complete joke

Advice to Management

Get a reliable management team. Awful

"Management Is Not Really The Best"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bayside, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bayside, NY

I have been working at H&M (More than a year)

Pros

If Your Full time, And Paid Birthday

Cons

No Communication, no fun, very boring, lack of career oppertunities

Advice to Management

Better Communication

Showing 195 of 2,874 reviews