H&M 2,333 Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 23, 2017
2,333 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,333 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • lorsque l'on travaille chez H&M via une boite d'int (in 174 reviews)

• Great benefits and great work environment (in 155 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a work life balance (in 81 reviews)

• chez h&m directement car les interimaires sont mieux pay (in 142 reviews)

1. "Sales associate"

I worked at H&M part-time

Pros

flexible hours, understanding management, great store locations that allow you to see many people, pay isn't that bad, great discount

Cons

customer basis can be extremely temperamental, inventory days are the absolute worst, management can change and causes disruption, call outs cause a lot of issues some days

2. "Amazing and unique company to work for!"

I worked at H&M part-time

Pros

great pay for part-time, awesome discounts, fun co-workers, met new people everyday.

Cons

there were only 2 full time positions open and a lot of part timers. You had to wait for full time to open up if you wanted it which wasn't very likely and when a supervisors position opened up, a lot of current employees wanted the job but was filled outside the company which i thought was wrong.

Advice to Management

hire from within! There are many people dedicated to this great company but want to be rewarded.

3. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Designer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Designer in Houston, TX

I have been working at H&M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly employers, relatively stress-free environment

Cons

No bonuses for late hours, no opportunities for upward mobility

5. "Great in the begining of the job"

Former Employee - Per Diem Administrative in Kearny, NJ
    Former Employee - Per Diem Administrative in Kearny, NJ

I worked at H&M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers were like family

Cons

No raises every year.

6. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at H&M part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount, ability to travel to support other stores, amazing coworkers,

Cons

Favoritism when it comes to advancement

7. "Zero Work Life Balance & Flexibility"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager- US Support Office in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager- US Support Office in New York, NY

I have been working at H&M full-time

Pros

Great PTO
    Opportunity for Growth & Lateral Movement
    Laid Back Work Environment
    Great Colleagues

Cons

No Work-Life Balance- expectation is to start early, work late, and travel a lot. Very difficult to start a family and stay here.

Zero Flexibility with Work Environment- no option to telecommute, even part time. Zero flexibility here even for internet-based job descriptions.

Salary Not Competitive- lowest level of salary in the industry. This is across all corporate office functions, not just HR

Advice to Management

Get with the times! You will never be a Great Place To Work if you don't adapt to employee needs. Your free branded water bottles totes, office snack breaks (Fika), and ridiculous excuse for a Summer Friday program are not the difference that will make the difference. If you want to be an employer of choice- take some real action based on the GPTW Surveys. Increase compensation to at least match industry averages, open up the opportunity for telecommuting like the rest of the industry, and put policies in place that foster a work-life balance.

8. "Loved H&M!!"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Willow Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Willow Grove, PA

Pros

Good pay, amazing hours, they consider your other commitments and schedule you accordingly, everyone is generally helpful.

Cons

Not too many cons.. I had one bad experience . I was accused of dancing around the fitting rooms while we had help from another store and was rold the behavior was embarassing to management. Management felt that I was enjoying myself too much and that it wasn't fair for the guest to see me dancing while they were working hard.. I just deal with pressure differently , if I keep a smile on my face and balance myself with positive energy I can work more effectively.. & I was happy I loved working there but I did feel that I was scolded just for simply enjoying my job and not letting the stress of a crowded store get to me. I was not at all dancing I did feel the beat of a song smiled did a little clap but I never stopped working that fitting room! And it was PACKED with stock. . But... perspective...

Advice to Management

Continue to do everything you're doing. I left for personal issues I was having if I was ever offered another position here I would take it GLADLY! I loved everyone here, especially Ralph. This is an amazing team if you stay 100% professional and stick up for your self! Loved the experience

9. "Great employees, terrible leaders"

Former Employee - Support Office in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Support Office in New York, NY

I worked at H&M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Values (though not many actually live by them)
    Competitive benefits
    Fair wage
    Growing company
    Store level experience seems to be positive (versus in the support office)

Cons

Poor leadership
    The left hand does not talk to the right - no one knows what they or anyone else is doing
    No work-life balance
    Unfair expectations
    Very high turn over

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people purely because they're tenured. There's too many people in the support office that are totally unqualified in their roles. Get rid of 90% of leadership and hire actual leaders in the field. Hire to the Values!

10. "Ive worked in this company for 8 years and I can say that I would recommend it"

Former Employee - Area Controller in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Area Controller in New York, NY

I worked at H&M full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Carrier opportunities, benefits, people. There are plenty of examples in the company when people start from part time sales assistant and in some years they a taking top management position.

Cons

Hard to start, you need to work hard and very fast in the store, some nights shifts and early mornings, we stared at 7 am

11. "Great job to fit in to college schedule"

Former Employee - Team Member in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Team Member in Denver, CO

I worked at H&M part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, Fit in very well with my busy college schedule

Cons

You could be fired at the drop of a hat if you were late. Although I was not fired they have a no forgiveness policy if you are more than a second late. Made getting to work on time very stressful for some people. Some of the people at my particular store also complained a lot which was a drag to be around. But I realize this may just be the particular group of people that I worked with.

Advice to Management

If you are going to be a "green company" don't have every piece of clothing you have shipped to the store sent in its own plastic bag that is then thrown away...SO BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT!

Showing 2,333 of 2,366 reviews