H&M Reviews | Glassdoor

H&M Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

Pros
  • H&M has really good benefits for full-time retail employees (in 185 reviews)

• Great benefits and great work environment (in 159 reviews)

Cons
  • Slightly lacking of work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• chez h&m directement car les interimaires sont mieux pay (in 145 reviews)

1. "Depends on your store/mgt team."

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Advisor in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Advisor in Farmington, CT

I worked at H&M full-time

Pros

Great company to work for and amazing benefits. It really feels like they care about you. I loved most of my coworkers who were such a great team to work for. It was amazing at times.

Cons

Unfortunately, after two years of hard work, all it takes is a bad mgt team/district team to create low morale, and to stop one from growing in the company. I ended up taking my skills to another similar company and getting a higher position on the spot. It's sad because I enjoyed working with my fellow coworkers a lot but mgt at this store was really unprofessional. It's what made many coworkers apathetic after some time.

Advice to Management

Be a leader and really reward those who work hard and mean well. Teach them rather than ignoring them for someone who kisses your butt.

2. "Unprofessional, Favoritism, lack of communication and disrespect."

Former Employee - Department Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at H&M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and decent benefits. You get to meet all types of great customers and because of customer traffic your day goes by quickly.

Cons

Not a good team atmosphere. Turn over rate is extremely high, no self ownership to problems or mistakes and company fails to meet train and promotion deadlines.

Advice to Management

This might not be the industry for you.

"Responsible"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at H&M part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opening new stores, positive faces and attitudes

Cons

Management sucks and lacks communication. Empty promises of full time and you bust your butt just for them to tell you you didn't prove enough yet you were the only one in the store supporting.

"Awful"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at H&M (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay
    Nice discount
    Lots of hours

Cons

Favoritism
    Lazy coworkers
    Bad attitudes
    Need I say more??

Advice to Management

For as big as this company, you should really have better training for your employees.

"Total disaster."

Former Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at H&M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited overtime during new store openings. Aside from nice pay checks the job itself was a nightmare.

Cons

Horrible company culture, abusive leadership, no work life balance, very early mornings and very late nights, favoritism, discrimination, unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Change everything.

"Visual Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Visual Marchandiser in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Visual Marchandiser in Boston, MA

I worked at H&M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great camaraderie amongst the visual merchandisers across my district. Good opportunities for current students while in school or retail professionals without a college education or higher ed certificate program.

Cons

Where do I begin? Throughout a 9 year retail career (to be fair, predominantly in luxury retail), H&M was by far the worst company at which I have worked. In my district, there was a supercilious attitude from management that permeated down into the entire team. Gossip and mind games from management staff had sales advisers regularly in tears. Management did a very poor job at creating boundaries with the sales staff and would choose favorites with whom to socialize, ostracizing those outside of their cliques. Rampant nepotism led to inappropriate behavior in the workplace, employees (while with managers!) having cocktails or other alcoholics beverages on their breaks, and promotions given to favorites rather than those who deserved them. I had constant disruptions in my work to mediate between sales advisers, or between sales advisers and management. This was not my role, as I am not a human resources professional. For my actual deliverables, there was never enough money budgeted for me to have the basic tools I needed to do my job, planning with management was poorly coordinated, and there was never enough time allocated to do my job. This was an issue that as a district-wide visual team we all struggled with. The direction I was given from management was to clock out (as I wasn't approved for overtime pay) and continue working - even to start new tasks while clocked out! This is illegal and if I were to get injured on the job (fairly common for a role working with power tools), I would not be covered by worker's comp. This is a huge issue and a common H&M practice. Overall, H&M touts itself as a value-conscious company and it could not be further from the reality. I mean, they have their Conscious Collection items shipped with each garment individually wrapped in non-recyclable plastic. How much more hypocritical could you be?

Advice to Management

Behave like a management team. I know many of you only have a high school education, but try to act like you've graduated.

"worse company ever!"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at H&M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have low priced clothing

Cons

This company care's nothing about customers or their employees. All they want is you to shove the product to the floor and let it fall to the floor. yuck!

Advice to Management

Focus more on your employees and customers and less on shoving everything out.

9. "Sucked completely"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beachwood, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beachwood, OH

I worked at H&M part-time

Pros

there are no pros here unless you like to stand in a fitting room for a whole shift.

Cons

worked for the company part time for 2 months did not do anything but work in the fitting room.

Advice to Management

Learn to train your new hires everything at the beginning you never know how much potential somebody has.

"Department supervisor"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at H&M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Cool clothes. Fast paced environment. Lots of responsibility from the begin inning

Cons

Poor training, lack of communication, understaffed, terrible upper management. Company doesn't make people a priority.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves. Every district and regional person in this company don't have a clue as to what there doing.

"Depends..."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at H&M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers, competitive pay, discount

Cons

don't practice their own company values, favoritism is rampant board-line discriminatory, favoring persons of European descent. Retention is poor and internal promotion is rare. Absolutely no communication at the store or district level. No focus on service or people development.

Showing 169 of 2,515 reviews