HARMAN Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
HARMAN Chairman, President and CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal
Dinesh C. Paliwal

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance is highly dependent on the Project you are working on (in 29 reviews)

• there no work life balance and managers more more partial toward people they like (in 13 reviews)

"Very successful company on the business side, but engineering is a joke."

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Novi, MI

I worked at HARMAN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok place for freshouts to learn some engineering concepts. Audio is a fun topic to delve into. DSP is the only "cutting edge" part of the company.

Cons

Even better place to learn what NOT to do. Desparately needs an upgrade in engineering management and technical competency. Feels like the wheels are ways about to fall off.

Advice to Management

Your managers are technically incompetent and butt-kissers of their clients and have no real appreciation for the internal resources who get them to their end goals. This is evident in the turnover. Engineers last 1 to 3 years and bail on you, while the PMs are retained for 8 to 15 years. Data speaks wonders, start processing it unless that is thd business model you desire.

"Worst"

Former Employee - Cloud Architect in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Cloud Architect in Dallas, TX

I worked at HARMAN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of free time. They are getting no business and its a sinking ship

Cons

Mgmt has no idea what they are doing. Acquisition by Samsung will hopefully open their eyes.

Advice to Management

Your Indian style does not fit in a US culture

"Stay away - No Job security and toxic"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in South Jordan, UT

I worked at HARMAN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Summer and Winter discounts on audio equipment.
    Health benefits are a little better than other companies. Harman will fund your HSA each year.
    401K options are good but the match is just average.
    There are opportunities to move around the group.
    Pays well above the median because that is the only retaining option.

Cons

Stay away, Harman has been the worst experience in my professional career. The environment is toxic and the turnover is unlike any other company with people leaving in a few months. Great employees tend to leave and the less great employees can't find anything else and stay. As a result Harman is just throwing any available body at the open positions and a few employees have their degrees from degree mills and are older doing entry level jobs. Their accounting knowledge and skills is lacking which is detrimental but management doesn't do anything. In fact, they are rewarded because people sneak out of work and never show up on time, leave very early, or constantly call in sick. You will see the general accounting team leave at 3 PM while other groups are struggling and will stay past midnight during month end close. Some managers don't check any work and just pencil whip things and go home before their team members.

Morale is devastatingly low and the environment is extremely hostile. There is open aggression and unprofessional behavior and management refuses to correct the situation. Each accounting group and person is out for themselves and there is no teamwork.

There have been massive layoffs and department shutdowns all over the globe to move operations to low cost areas in Hungary, Mexico, and China. Nobody feel secure about their job which leads to people doing the bare minimum.

Everyone is burned out, management will not do anything with toxic unprofessional employees, and they simply don't care. Nobody is engaged at work, nobody enjoys coming in, and everyone wants to leave. Spare yourself the turmoil and look elsewhere because you never know when they are going to shut down the Utah operation.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the toxic, detrimental employees that add no value to the company.
    Enforce discipline and don't let employees call in sick every single week or come in regularly at 10:30 AM.

5. "Complete Chaos"

Former Contractor - Test Associate II in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Test Associate II in Redmond, WA

I worked at HARMAN as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They have some great caring people that work at the company.

Cons

Wouldn't even bother to try to negotiate better wage, also didn't tell me i had options to choose at the get go, and when i tried for months trying to get paid time off and holidays, they wouldn't even retroactive

Advice to Management

They need to get their stuff together. My onboarding was a complete disaster as I had three company emails messaging me, then i was scheduled to be onsite at the job, and then meeting my representative the same day.

Then the recruiter that got me the job, spent over a half hour as I politely tried to get him to go to my rep about changing contracts, however it was the exact same contract on the exact same team. Wasting time as I already was behind because I had doctors appointment

6. "Not so great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Novi, MI

I have been working at HARMAN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get really great discounts on most of the consumer products and decent discounts on pro-audio products.
    You also get some discounts when you buy certain Brand cars from dealers.

Cons

The management mostly cares about dollar profits and not about the employees.
    Benefits package is below average.
    Office is cluttered.

Advice to Management

It's not always about dollar profits.
    Also, having Audio/Music related events from time to time is not a bad idea since majority of the products are always related to Music.
    Benefits should definitely be made better.

7. "Terrible management"

Former Intern - Software Engineering in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Intern - Software Engineering in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at HARMAN as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot, had very enjoyable coworker relationships and its a good workspace. I got the feeling that corporate was run well but lower management just ruined everything.

Cons

They laid off a huge amount of inters by gathering them all in a room and calling out the names of those who just lost their jobs. One of my bosses kept threatening to fire us if we didn't meet his wildly unreasonable expectations. I loved the job until he became my manager. He had little to none technical expertise and wasted a huge amount of company resources trying to retask QA testers to automation developers. Then when his terrible strategy crashed, they just laid off a bunch of people.

Advice to Management

Have a stronger grasp on how sub managers are treating their employees. I know communication is difficult in such a big company, but this manager should have been fired before he wasted the companies resources this way.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Novi, MI

I have been working at HARMAN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cool products, interesting technology. Great opportunities if you are in the H1B visa program from India or China. Flexible work times (you can work any 12 hours of the day you want). Lots of overtime available (unpaid). Lots of free lunches because you will be expected work through your normal lunch.

Cons

No work/life balance. Worst vacation policy in SE Michigan (you get your 4th week after 15 years of service). Constant fire fighting and new management team has no idea how to bring this under control. People are pretty disappointed in the current direction of the company and the company prospects. A few years ago, in a surprise move to most people, they laid off 50% of the audio group to send those jobs to India and China. Lots of customer dissatisfaction due to OEM yard holds. Management team works so many hours (including lots of weekend meetings) that they don't know how to appreciate your extra efforts.

Advice to Management

Sorry, you have a difficult problem to solve. Good luck.

"RUN!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at HARMAN (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are good people at the worker bee level that try their best to keep up.

Cons

Dinesh is a basket case and incredibly selfish. The dynamic of the Stamford "Iron Fist" paired with the top leaders of the world wide organization would surprise any of their customers. Forget being innovative, sticking up for the good guy or doing anything the right way. Cheapening products and little salary increases, while Dinesh rolls in the money. They keep expanding buildings and dividing up the teams- collaboration is little. Get ready to have projects dumped on you, doing busy work because upper leadership want you to do things 300x over or slice the data over and over. No traction to move forward, it's always about who is the big guy with the loudest bark. Glass ceiling for women, take a look at how many women are in leadership roles compared to the men. It's disgusting.

"Stay away - a completely dysfunctional mess and getting worse"

Current Employee - Director in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Stamford, CT

I have been working at HARMAN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, some great people

Cons

Incompetent upper management who have no knowledge of the audio space and who are doing everything they can to devalue the brands. And new management hires are following this pattern.
    Mean and negative management who use bullying tactics and routinely engage in unprofessional behavior.
    Employees are depressed and anxious.

Advice to Management

Advice to the Board: replace the CEO

"Farcical"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Northridge, CA

I have been working at HARMAN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are still some of the finest technical folks in the world on the payroll. If you're a VP at any other corporation, it'll be easy to get a job here. Just say, "Oh, your problems aren't so hard. All you need to do is...[Insert imaginary silver bullet here]". They'll pay you a lot of money. It's easy to vacation in your office.

Cons

No one in top management knows anything about the audio industry. Company is an ATM and entertainment provider for the CEO and his co-conspirators. Revenue generation by sales at any price and margin management by cost cutting isn't a recipe for success. Age discrimination rampant. Relentless focus on emerging market growth is a disaster waiting to happen.

Advice to Management

Take short positions against your own company, if you haven't already.