HARMAN Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance is highly dependent on the Project you are working on (in 36 reviews)

• there no work life balance and managers more more partial toward people they like (in 16 reviews)

1. "Sales Analyst"

I have been working at HARMAN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location and office; co-workers are nice; company is developing so fast that bring many chances for employees.

Cons

some management problem exist due to fast-developed period

2. "Moving US jobs to Mexico"

Pros

Great group of people, good benefits

Cons

All US jobs are being moved to Mexico

Advice to Management

Careful what you wish for. You may be sacrificing quality to save a few pennies.

3. "Good company to start after college"

Pros

- Ownership of projects
    - Interesting work

Cons

- Limited option to switch teams

4. "Excellent"

I have been working at HARMAN full-time

Pros

nice to work with colleague, management

Cons

I didnt find any cons ,

"Global Legal Billing Administrator"

Former Employee - Legal Billing Administrator in Northridge, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Billing Administrator in Northridge, CA

I worked at HARMAN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I absolutely LOVED working for Harman. Its a fun company and I enjoyed everyone who worked there. I LOVED my job and wore many hats in my position. Everyday at my desk was different day. There is so much work there that I had a field day because I like working and making money and immediate results.

Cons

really nothing....I never had issues. If they asked me to come back and work I would. I left the company for medical reasons at the time :(

Advice to Management

It helps when you have a manager that understands my job because it was very hard to explain myself the the things I do, when you don't come from an accounting background.

"It's a stepping stone to something bigger (Connected Car)"

Former Employee - Engineer in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Novi, MI

I worked at HARMAN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture depending on which group you're in, but the building is small as compared to an OEM so it is very easy to get to know to everyone. It is also very easy to rub elbows with management since everything is so tight-knit.

Harman is also excellent with their tools despite some of the groaning that may be heard.

Cons

The biggest con is that everything is getting outsourced to India, which has been a priority for Dinesh ever since he took over the reins. I have seen so many H1B workers come in that Americans have become a minority. Harman does this because they have a hard time hiring talent, which stems from very noncompetitive salaries. Intentional? I think so.

Mediocre work-life balance in most engineering groups, although they are working on this. It's definitely not as bad as Denso, but people have left because of it.

Most of the higher management believes that they understand startup culture, yet none of them have actually been involved with a startup (except for a couple). I wrote my two-cents about it below. Although, the managers are good people and I had nothing against any of them.

Most of the software management had been promoted out of necessity or because of internal relationships, which has had mixed results in terms of effectiveness. The hardware teams are also extremely understaffed and terribly under-supplied with equipment. On the other hand, the hardware teams and management are incredibly skilled and there are still a few veterans. You can learn a lot from them. There are also a number of software engineer veterans that are excellent at what they do.

Advice to Management

Startup cultures can only be inspired when the employees get a cut of the growth. After all, the sole purpose of joining/forming a startup is to grow a company and reap the rewards together. Without that, there is no reason that anyone would work overtime with noncompetitive compensation, except to temporarily grow their career and then get out.

I viewed my experience at Harman to be like a stepping stone. The lack of resources allowed me to touch every aspect of engineering that I wanted to, but it was not sustainable.

"Learn Spanish"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at HARMAN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice products, JBL, Harmon Kardon

Cons

Stressful work environment, long days

Advice to Management

Get some friends

8. "Technical Support Manager"

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HARMAN (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great flexibility, great management, awesome work environment.

Cons

I don't have any cons for this company. I have been really grateful for this awesome opportunity.

"Very successful company on the business side, but engineering is a joke."

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Novi, MI

I worked at HARMAN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok place for freshouts to learn some engineering concepts. Audio is a fun topic to delve into. DSP is the only "cutting edge" part of the company.

Cons

Even better place to learn what NOT to do. Desparately needs an upgrade in engineering management and technical competency. Feels like the wheels are ways about to fall off.

Advice to Management

Your managers are technically incompetent and butt-kissers of their clients and have no real appreciation for the internal resources who get them to their end goals. This is evident in the turnover. Engineers last 1 to 3 years and bail on you, while the PMs are retained for 8 to 15 years. Data speaks wonders, start processing it unless that is thd business model you desire.

"Fabrication Prototype Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at HARMAN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a place for long term employment for many people

Cons

All American manufacturing jobs are moving to Mexico. No respect for long time employees.