HBO Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard Plepler

Pros
Cons
  • very little room for growth; there are tons of assistants and VP's but they need to beef up mid-level employees (in 8 reviews)

• No upward mobility, not millenial friendly (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Key-Art Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Key-Art Designer in New York, NY

I worked at HBO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Like a country club, with gym, huge catered cafeteria and theater

Cons

Compensation needs work although benefits are good

Advice to Management

"We know you’d probably rather be watching Girls or Game of Thrones than job searching. But to get a job at HBO? Well, that just might be worth turning off the TV for. The company takes such good care of its employees that your days at work might feel a little bit like enjoying your favorite show.

Let’s look at all the reasons we love watching HBO—and how you can reap those same rewards on the job at this amazing company.

To Experience Something New

Of course, one of the best things about sitting down for your favorite HBO programming is the breadth of stories, ideas, places, emotions, and more it allows you to experience easily.

As a company, HBO wants its employees to experience—and learn—just as many new things as its users. Learning and continued education is strongly encouraged and supported at HBO. The company offers a wide selection of instructor-led courses through its Learn@HBO Program—everything from Photoshop skills to management training to learning how to harness extroverted tendencies as an introvert—as well as partial tuition coverage for full-time employees seeking to continue their education.

There’s no end to what you can learn on the job at HBO.

To Engage With Some of the Best Creative Content

As a critically acclaimed innovator, ratings record-breaker, and multiple Golden Globe winner in the cable television industry, HBO is really content first. Viewers love it for that—and so do employees.

“The person I want to work with on my Feature Team would be someone who’s passionate about the content, a consumer of the product, and someone who’ll have the voice of the consumer during development,” shares Jenna D’Alba, the program manager of technology program management. The difference here? Instead of just passionately watching it, you’ll be able to passionately help make it.

To Get a Break

Of course, the biggest reason we all sit down to watch some HBO? To get a well-deserved break after a long day. Luckily, the company’s employees aren’t wanting for this, either.

HBO’s unique work-life balance culture supports long-term career success, allowing employees to manage and merge professional aspirations, personal commitments, and recreational interests. Whether it’s pursuing an advanced degree or spending quality time with family and friends, HBO wants its employees to experience healthy and fulfilled lives—on and off the job.

“Everyone—management and co-workers alike—promote living your life so you can experience great things and bring them back.” shares Olufemi Leverett, an account coordinator for marketing and creative services.

So, go ahead, check out HBO’s offices below and th

ng interns for its impressive program.

And don’t worry—you can still watch your favorite shows, too.
    Can We Send You a Helpful Email?

More articles like this one, job opportunities you'll actually like, and advice that doesn't sound like it was written in the '80s.
    "

"Director"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at HBO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HBO is a best in class company. The work is stimulating and the people are great. If you hit the right department you can learn a lot in a short amount of time.

Cons

People stay for long periods of time so sometimes it is difficult to move up in the organization. Also, because people have been there a long time sometimes it is difficult to get people to try new things that might have a small chance of success.

Advice to Management

Listen to all members of teams. Don't be singular focused on certain members of the team.

"One of the best places to work in the world"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HBO part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company hires the best, treats them with respect, gives them the tools they need and there is little turnover.

Cons

There is no opportunity to slow down or slack off - exciting but can be stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Engage more with the workers and show more proactive engagement with the teams.

5. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at HBO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, good work life balance

Cons

none to speak of, really

6. "Fantastic Place to Work"

Former Contractor - Freelance Digital Illustrator in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Freelance Digital Illustrator in New York, NY

I worked at HBO as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Work environment is simply beautiful, everything form the furniture to the most up to date computers to the environmental graphics on the walls to the scent in the air. Not joking, every single detail is considered and extremely well executed. They understand the simple fact that a pleasant work environment creates higher quality work.

Cons

I wish that I had the opportunity to work there longer.

Advice to Management

Management damands a very high standard which is what makes HBO...well HBO.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Amazing coworkers. Great content and exciting projects.

Cons

Seems to lack direction at times. Could benefit from more executive communication down the chain on key objectives and strategy.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at HBO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Creators of the best content, employees are valued, great vacation policy, good pay

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth, political and bureaucratic,

9. "Set Production Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at HBO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High-quality product/content
    - Places high value on employees
    - Friendly work environment

Cons

- Regarding expectations of their content, they are sometimes a victim of there own success

10. "Great experience!"

Current Intern - Graphic Designer Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Graphic Designer Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at HBO as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern you will learn how 'real world' designing works. Sometimes having a few hours to complete jobs you learn to manage time wisely, design quickly and move on to the next project. Very talented people work at HBO and are very helpful in having you learn. They are honest and straightforward, which I feel is important in design work. There is open communication. I feel like I am learning from the best in the trade and my skills as a designer are becoming quickly sharpened. I am so grateful for my experience at HBO. I hope it opens doors for me in this field.

Cons

HBO has a huge infrastructure and at first can seem very overwhelming, but once you learn the in and outs it becomes an old hat.

11. "sr selenium tester"

Current Employee - Senior Selenium Tester in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Selenium Tester in New York, NY

I have been working at HBO (More than a year)

Pros

HBO GO - Leading QA team for TV Everywhere related HBO product encompassing multiple projects involving different media technologies and innovative solutions targeting delivery platforms such as Desktop, iOS, Android, Smart TVs involving all phases of asset's life cycle like Asset Creation

Cons

, HBO GO and MAX GO will be migrated to support Android and IOS operating systems. The HBO mobile applications are designed to enable the users to watch the programs on 'smart phones' and Tablets (i.e. iPad, iPhone, Android phones / tablets) which run with the Android and IOS operating systems