KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

HCA Healthcare

Engaged Employer

HCA Healthcare

Add a Review

HCA Healthcare Employee Reviews about "hca"

Updated Dec 2, 2021

Found 345 of over 4,216 reviews

3.5
HCA Healthcare Chief Executive Officer Samuel N. Hazen
Samuel N. Hazen
Pros
  • "There would not be enough room to right down the pros about working for HCA(in 217 reviews)

• "The company offers good benefits(in 188 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Hca moves slowly so advancement requires patience(in 177 reviews)

• "Turn over low pay costly insurance(in 102 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about HCA Healthcare

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of HCA Healthcare and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "hca"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Love this company

Nov 4, 2021 - Recruiter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work at HCA

Cons

Competitive pay and bonus structure

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall pretty great culture

Dec 2, 2021 - OB Tech
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay, benefits, schedule, locations

Cons

It’s really hard to get fired from HCA, even for the people that shouldn’t be allowed to work there anymore.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Low Pay

Dec 2, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

HCA is every where so you can always get a job

Cons

They don’t pay well at all.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Fantastic organization that lives the mission daily

Oct 22, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

The leadership at HCA Healthcare leads by example and puts our patients at the forefront of every decision made. We value hard work, innovation, compassion, and providing the best in health care.

Cons

Difficulty balancing work/life, corporate ladder climb can be exhausting

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Cut Your Teeth Here

Nov 5, 2021 - Division Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you’re talented then you get promoted quickly. This is accelerated if you’re willing to move around the country to any of the HCA markets. Given HCA’s size and scale, there are opportunities afforded to you that smaller companies can’t match. The Employee Stock Purchase Program is pretty good. Working at HCA exposes you to the entire business of healthcare which makes HCA employees attractive hires for other healthcare companies. HCA employees are usually efficient and operations/cost minded.

Cons

Low pay compared to competitors, need to be there minimum of 5 years for benefits to be worth it, PTO accrual is draconian, lots of political gamesmanship. This is a financial operations company that happens to own hospitals. Despite what branding would have you believe, patients are absolutely not the focus of this company. The company’s mission is “above all else we are committed to the care and improvement of human life”, but actions signify they are more focused on the care and improvement of their stock price.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Pretty good benefits for HCA facilities, slow to give raises

Oct 19, 2021 - Front Desk Receptionist in Bountiful, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty good benefits for HCA facilities

Cons

Slow to give raises. They hire people for more money and don't increase pay for people who have been there a long time.

7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Intercontinental C Level Execs Need to Show Up and DO BETTER

Oct 28, 2021 - Hospital Management in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

HCA offers lots of leadership training. Between all the health tech, telehealth, medial device, pharma and biotech companies that need management with healthcare backgrounds, HCA has done a great job training us to succeed elsewhere. In comparison these companies offer better pay, quality of life, and real equity based wealth building. WE HAVE MORE OPTIONS TODAY THAN EVER AND WITH REMOTE WORK, WE DONT NEED TO MOVE.

Cons

Since our complaints have fallen on deaf ears, time for some hospital management review candor and truths. Our health coverage sucks for being the largest for profit health system in the US. What we have to pay out of pocket, the scope and amount of coverage, the premiums, not ok. Leadership should be embarrassed. HCA pays bottom dollar. Pay is substantially less than other standalone hospitals and health systems. No wonder we have a tough time finding good people and have one foot constantly out the door. Our division is AGE DISCRIMINATORY with 40 and overs. It’s common for experienced people to be passed over and not put forth for advancement opportunities. Ready for that next step, 40 and over, think again. We’re talking about people who are better or as well educated as people going into our admin development program, far better proven leadership skills at HCA, vastly more knowledge of healthcare, more professional accomplishments at HCA, and better qualified overall. Yet somehow disproportionately the majority of admin development program people (that need more training and coddling after the program) are being fast tracked into leadership roles over more qualified and accomplished individuals that happen to be on the planet 4 decades or more. Favoritism abounds in intercontinental. In every leadership class HCA has put us in, I’m pretty sure they’ve all consistently stated favoritism is one of the most demoralizing things leadership can do. Was leadership absent those training days? HCA is a meatgrinder post COVID, and it wasn’t great before. Because we stepped up big time and went above and beyond in a pandemic, leadership expects that level of contribution and sacrifice to be the new normal. We work more hours than investment bankers, without the pay. HCA is for profit, so we run lean in good times. These arent good times. The latest “pandemic” or crisis we’re dealing with is staffing. We have the privilege of doing our jobs and double or triple duty too. Core staffing problems aside, facility C level execs have denied requests to hire support people other hospitals and health systems have that would make our facilities run smoother, more efficient and make our and our peoples lives easier. Staffing shortages are to the point that sometimes quality of care is compromised. Management at facilities are dealing with some areas that are alarmingly understaffed. Ever heard of staff burnout? Ever heard of management burnout? It’s real, happening and getting worse fast. It’s not good for the areas our hospitals serve or the patients. With all the craziness going on and unsustainable hours, across the division many of our facility C level execs are not really visible and working a fraction of extra hours compared to us. There needs to be a culling of poor leaders from the ranks and a kick in the butt for others. What happened to the concept of lead by example? Shared sacrifice? I and my peers all met with the division union consultant. Most of us were against unionization and toed the party line but after talking to management at our other facilities, listening to the challenges and problems they’re dealing with, its apparent there is a BIG wave of management dissatisfaction occurring. Maybe we need a union for hospital management because most of my peers are not OK with what’s being asked of them and what they’re sacrificing for what we’re being paid and the impact on our families. This is after already making huge sacrifices with COVID for almost 2 years, which pushed many of us to the edge. It’s untenable. Maybe we need to have a management sick out. We feel COVID symptoms coming on and need to get tested. Results arrive in a few days. Think hospital C level execs can step in and do the job? Development program? Service lines and areas can run without oversight? Think again. Our jobs’ impact on the economy is enormous vs jobs outside healthcare. The associated contribution of every life we improve or save makes other industries pale in comparison. Life is the most precious commodity. HCA nickels and dimes us to death. A junior worker at a tech startup gets paid proportionally better, FAR better quality of life, is offered equity and has the opportunity to become a millionaire. Yet we trade in the most previous commodity on the planet DAILY and don’t have it that good. So does it make sense that equity at HCA is EXCLUSIVELY the domain of C level hospital, division and corporate execs. THE PRIVILEGED FEW. Yet facility management is hugely accountable and has huge responsibilities with a direct impact and chunk of the facility and division and corporate top and bottom line depending on service line and area. We keep HCA afloat, physicians and people moving in the right direction, patients receive quality care under our watch, we make sure the joint and state doesn’t shut the facility down or drop reimbursement which affects division and corporate numbers and impacts exec bonuses and stock valuation. We have a direct hand in the care of every person that walks through the door. WE KEEP HCA AFLOAT. HOW AND WHY IS IT WE AREN’T GOOD ENOUGH FOR EQUITY???? Our leaders at facilities, division and corporate graciously took a pay cut due to COVID. Some had the gall to complain. Yet they made back multiples of that OFF US RISKING OURSELVES DAILY IN A PANDEMIC with their stock options and grants. Look at the insider trades and share price over the last 2 years. I didn’t see any putting themselves at risk and caring for COVID patients like we did. YET THEY REAPED ALL THE BENEFITS. Management in the division are ALL talking about this GLARING DEFICIENCY and INEQUITY leadership created and has allowed to persist. Leadership’s only defense is “but what about ESPP”? ESPP programs were a good idea decades ago. It’s standard fare and everyone offers it today. It’s a joke, a bullet point in a benefits brochure. How out of touch could you be? Many of us are on call every day and night. No time is sacrosanct for a work call. Who needs continuous sleep after a 16 hour workday? Family time, meh. Then we go in the next day and get to listen to our C level execs complain when they have to take the occasional after hours phone call or admin call. REALLY? The bonuses HCA is paying people are demoralizing management and existing employees. When you break down the hours we work (since we don’t get OT), which are far more than any person that works for us, we are actually paid less hourly than many of our staff. Heck the annual raises DONT EVEN COVER COST OF LIVING INCREASES. HR is clueless, a detriment, an anchor around our ankle dragging us down. Most in HR have no idea what it takes to be a leader, manage a team and have no appreciation nor understanding of what it’s takes to run a service line or area in a hospital. They have SCREWED UP our peoples market adjustment so bad and done such a poor job planning, executing and communicating that some in HR need to be fired or PIPd. We lose people weekly because HR can’t execute. We are told time and again by staff, people can leave the hospital immediately and make $10K or $20K somewhere else. They aren’t lying. ALSO despite being short staffed, across the division HR is choosing to let GOOD STAFF GO even though management wants to retain them because of, crazily, raise requests from 10-20 CENTS to 2 DOLLARS MORE AN HOUR. So INSTEAD OF RETAINING that good employee, HR OVERRIDES our decision, denies the tiny raise request and we have to replace these people. HOWEVER, this increases our expenses DRAMATICALLY because we have to pay external recruiters commissions, it forces us to hire ridiculously expensive travelers, or pay new employees bonuses that are sometimes BIGGER THAN OUR ANNUAL BONUSES. The stupidity, ignorance, incompetence and fiscal mismanagement is staggering. It is bad for management morale and bad for HCAs balance sheet. It also affects our quality of care and efficiency because there’s a lag as new staff and travelers get settled. Our time is also wasted interviewing for a position we SHOULDNT HAVE HAD TO FILL.

2 people found this review helpful