HCG Healthcare Communications Group Reviews | Glassdoor

"Sr. Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group full-time

Pros

Interesting work with pharmaceutical companies

Cons

Company was closed due to lawsuit brought up by employees. HR management was useless and didn't see it coming despite frequent employee complaints about long hours and low morale

Advice to Management

Be kind to your employees and listen to complains promptly. Don't insist in finding faults on employees capabilities, look at your leadership and ability to define good processes.

2. "Decent Small Company"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in El Segundo, CA

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good close knit company with a daily morning meeting for all hands status update which is very beneficial to learn of all opportunities.

Cons

Not much room for growth, fairly high turnover, extremely low salary for positions. Not a huge profit business model. Not very tech savvy group of individuals.

3. "One of the poorest run companies I have ever had the misfortune of working at"

Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was close to my house. It also allowed me to work in an industry I was not familiar with - recruiting subjects for pharmaceutical clinical trials. That's about all the pros I can think of.

Cons

I worked at HCG in early 2005. Clearly, things have not improved - they've only gotten worse. Management was extremely punitive. No training was ever offered to employees (I had no background in the field). You were literally thrown into the job with no background as to what you would be doing, how you should be doing it, and who you would be working with at the pharmaceutical companies. Policies and procedures were non-existent - and yet you were excessively micromanaged. How you can be micromanaged with no policies and procedures in place, you may ask? You were micromanaged based on the arbitrary will of the manager who decided you were screwing up - even though you had no training to determine the correct and appropriate way to do things. I lasted at the company 3 weeks before they told me I was lazy and "not a team player". I agree completely with a previous poster who wrote "There was almost no process organization in place. Managers apparently felt this was not part of their job and were confident that their time was better spent lecturing employees in endless meetings about what they were doing wrong." If you get a job at this company, expect to be demeaned and humiliated by management. They seem to enjoy it. One last point: I had some ethical concerns regarding this company. I was actually ordered to go into a chat-room for parents who had bipolar children under the age of 13; pretend I was a parent who had a bipolar child; and then encourage other parents of these bipolar children to "try this new pharmaceutical drug! It worked wonders on my child!" I was then advised to post the hyperlink to where HCG was recruiting bipolar children under the age of 13 for clinical trials for a new pharmaceutical drug. I refused to do this. I was told I was not a "team player" and I was told by management that they couldn't believe I had ever gone to a top tier college because clearly I was lazy. I have never been spoken to that way before, and I have not been spoken to that way since in any other job. Do not work for this company, no matter what you do!!!!!! I wish this website had been around in 2005. If I had seen posts like this, I would have run in the opposite direction!!

Advice to Management

You may actually want to train employees. Create FAIR policies and procedures. And implement process organizations. You may also want to seriously "change-out" your senior management, including the CEO, CFO and CIO. They are unethical and seem to take great pleasure in being punitive and demeaning to employees.

"Very poorly managed company with high turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Company located in a nice area of El Segundo near the 405 and LAX. The office itself is comfortable and clean.

Cons

The management team at this company was one of the worst I have ever worked under. The level of micromanagement was above and beyond levels I have previously experienced. Managers were generally punitive in their attitudes toward employees and deadlines were consistently unrealistic. Training was poor or nonexistent. There was almost no process organization in place. Managers apparently felt this was not part of their job and were confident that their time was better spent lecturing employees in endless meetings about what they were doing wrong. Employees spent absurd amounts of time in management required meetings during the day so that the actual work day often did not begin until about 3:00 or 4:00pm. I was also told by the hiring personnel that the hours were generally 9 - 5 for everyone, which was a lie. (I worked an average of 55 - 60 hours a week.)

Advice to Management

Put excellent work processes in place and spend adequate amounts of time training employees one on one in these processes. Then trust employees to do the jobs you have trained them well to do and show gratitude for a job well done. Do not berate employees for making mistakes in group meetings. Consider actually taking the time to read the book that the CEO gives to new employees, "Gung Ho", which provides some great advice to new managers. I thought it quite ironic, by the way, that the CEO gave a helpful book on management techniques to new employees who were about to be managed very poorly by managers, most of whom admitted to never reading it.

5. "It is a challenging environment, but you gain an enormous amount of knowledge."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

You are able to work with a diversity of people and partner with physicians and clinics to help various patient populations.

Cons

Employee development is limited and training is inadequate. Job descriptions and SOPs are vague and leave a lot of room for interpretation.

Advice to Management

Recognize the value of long term employees, internal promotions, and lower turnover rates. Hold yourself accountable for failures, along with employees.

6. "Clusterf*ck Run By Hormones"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Great health benefits! Company pays for the entire HMO.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. While on salary, I'd work 50+ hours a week. If I had one sick day, they'd insist upon taking it out of my PTO, even if I still worked 45 hours that week.

Advice to Management

You're not princes and princesses. You shouldn't state outright that your employees should suck up to you. Take some time management classes, and go to a seminar on proper communication.

7. "Micromanagement allows for a lot of time spent with senior management which provides learning opportunities."

Current Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

Pros

HCG is a leader in the patient recruitment industry. It is known for its high standards for quality. It is a great starting point in your career to understand the basics of project management.

Cons

The company is run by micro-managers. Salaries are also low in comparison to similar positions at other companies. There are few opportunities for additional education even if career oriented.

Advice to Management

Low salaries and lack of trust in staff limits HCG's capabilities. Adding automation to current processes would create efficiencies (SOPs are not enough).

"Expect to be micromanaged"

Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

Pros

They are located in El Segundo, CA, a great area to work and is also right next to LAX. They have friendly management and some really caring staff.

Cons

If you thought the micro-managing was bad elsewhere, just wait till you get here. There isn't any training or support and some of the deadlines are unrealistic. Creative ideas are not appreciated and most of the management are computer illiterate. Also, they let go (and fire) people frequently.

Advice to Management

I would suggest reducing the amount of micro management placed on the employees. Allow for a more creative environment where people can think and speak freely without fear of being verbally reprimanded. Offer training to new employees so they understand what is required and so that the all employees are on the same page. Have better budgeting to prevent unnecessary lay offs.

9. "Keep Looking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Opportunity to learn about pharmaceutical research.

Cons

Venomous upper management. Constantly degrading, insulting, and undermining employees. Very long hours with no compensation or bonus.

Advice to Management

Quit patting yourselves on the back and take a look at your turnover. Firing one person a week when you only average 50 employees is NOT a good record. Hostile atmosphere should be changed to increase overall success.

10. "Experience as a Research Intern"

Pros

Everyone was really friendly and nice! Despite the fact that I only spoke English and some of the employees in the hospital spoke very little English, everyone tried really hard to help bridge the language barrier.

Cons

One not so great aspect was the fact that many times they wouldn't have any work for me to do. I realize that as a hospital they work with patient samples and as such cannot always give them to interns to do tests on, but it was a little extreme to say that I wasn't even allowed near the samples. I had quite a bit of previous experience working with patient samples and conducting lab tests before interning here so I found this very annoying.