HCG Healthcare Communications Group Reviews | Glassdoor

HCG Healthcare Communications Group Reviews

Found 12 reviews

2.1
Frank S. Kilpatrick
  1. "Experience as a Research Intern"

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group

Pros

Everyone was really friendly and nice! Despite the fact that I only spoke English and some of the employees in the hospital spoke very little English, everyone tried really hard to help bridge the language barrier.

Cons

One not so great aspect was the fact that many times they wouldn't have any work for me to do. I realize that as a hospital they work with patient samples and as such cannot always give them to interns to do tests on, but it was a little extreme to say that I wasn't even allowed near the samples. I had quite a bit of previous experience working with patient samples and conducting lab tests before interning here so I found...

HCG Healthcare Communications Group2015-10-04

"Sr. Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group full-time

Pros

Interesting work with pharmaceutical companies

Cons

Company was closed due to lawsuit brought up by employees. HR management was useless and didn't see it coming despite frequent employee complaints about long hours and low morale

Advice to Management

Be kind to your employees and listen to complains promptly. Don't insist in finding faults on employees capabilities, look at your leadership and ability to define good processes.

HCG Healthcare Communications Group2014-06-20
  3. "Great company with great people..."

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group

Pros

Plenty or resources, team culture great location, great management team.

Cons

This is not your 40 hour a week job. Your at the mercy of your clients and their timelines.

Advice to Management

Great job with the resources available... Manage client expectations

HCG Healthcare Communications Group2014-04-15
  4. "HCG Out of Business - no surprise"

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group

Pros

Read the reviews. It's probably best they closed their doors forever. Once the two smartest and most ethical women left, it was only a matter of time - less than 1 year for the company to crash and burn.

Cons

When they closed, they left clients high and dry. Resigned every account. The left-overs who couldn't find other jobs have formed a new company. That should be interesting.

HCG Healthcare Communications Group2013-03-31
    • "Decent Small Company"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in El Segundo, CA

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good close knit company with a daily morning meeting for all hands status update which is very beneficial to learn of all opportunities.

Cons

Not much room for growth, fairly high turnover, extremely low salary for positions. Not a huge profit business model. Not very tech savvy group of individuals.

HCG Healthcare Communications Group2013-02-06
    • "One of the poorest run companies I have ever had the misfortune of working at"

Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was close to my house. It also allowed me to work in an industry I was not familiar with - recruiting subjects for pharmaceutical clinical trials. That's about all the pros I can think of.

Cons

I worked at HCG in early 2005. Clearly, things have not improved - they've only gotten worse. Management was extremely punitive. No training was ever offered to employees (I had no background in the field). You were literally thrown into the job with no background as to what you would be doing, how you should be doing it, and who you would be working with at the pharmaceutical companies. Policies and procedures were...

Advice to Management

You may actually want to train employees. Create FAIR policies and procedures. And implement process organizations. You may also want to seriously "change-out" your senior management, including the CEO, CFO and CIO. They are unethical and seem to take great pleasure in being punitive and demeaning to employees.

HCG Healthcare Communications Group2012-11-05

"Very poorly managed company with high turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group

Pros

Company located in a nice area of El Segundo near the 405 and LAX. The office itself is comfortable and clean.

Cons

The management team at this company was one of the worst I have ever worked under. The level of micromanagement was above and beyond levels I have previously experienced. Managers were generally punitive in their attitudes toward employees and deadlines were consistently unrealistic. Training was poor or nonexistent. There was almost no process organization in place. Managers apparently felt this was not part of their...

Advice to Management

Put excellent work processes in place and spend adequate amounts of time training employees one on one in these processes. Then trust employees to do the jobs you have trained them well to do and show gratitude for a job well done. Do not berate employees for making mistakes in group meetings. Consider actually taking the time to read the book that the CEO gives to new employees, "Gung Ho", which provides some great advice...

HCG Healthcare Communications Group2011-06-08
    • "It is a challenging environment, but you gain an enormous amount of knowledge."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at HCG Healthcare Communications Group

Pros

You are able to work with a diversity of people and partner with physicians and clinics to help various patient populations.

Cons

Employee development is limited and training is inadequate. Job descriptions and SOPs are vague and leave a lot of room for interpretation.

Advice to Management

Recognize the value of long term employees, internal promotions, and lower turnover rates. Hold yourself accountable for failures, along with employees.

HCG Healthcare Communications Group2011-05-14
    • "Clusterf*ck Run By Hormones"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at HCG Healthcare Communications Group

Pros

Great health benefits! Company pays for the entire HMO.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. While on salary, I'd work 50+ hours a week. If I had one sick day, they'd insist upon taking it out of my PTO, even if I still worked 45 hours that week.

Advice to Management

You're not princes and princesses. You shouldn't state outright that your employees should suck up to you. Take some time management classes, and go to a seminar on proper communication.

HCG Healthcare Communications Group2011-05-04
    • "Micromanagement allows for a lot of time spent with senior management which provides learning opportunities."

Current Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at HCG Healthcare Communications Group

Pros

HCG is a leader in the patient recruitment industry. It is known for its high standards for quality. It is a great starting point in your career to understand the basics of project management.

Cons

The company is run by micro-managers. Salaries are also low in comparison to similar positions at other companies. There are few opportunities for additional education even if career oriented.

Advice to Management

Low salaries and lack of trust in staff limits HCG's capabilities. Adding automation to current processes would create efficiencies (SOPs are not enough).

HCG Healthcare Communications Group2011-04-06