HCL Technologies Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "You're on your own."

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist – E2 in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist – E2 in New York, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Normal work hours and bi-weekly pay.

Cons

No support from management they focus on whatever the client wants.

Advice to Management

Support your own employees.

2. "Enter at your own risk"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A job if you need one to meet your financial responsibilities. Otherwise "Enter at your own risk"

Cons

I became an employee of HCL when they took over the IT operations of the company I worked for, due to the company Outsourcing the entire IT department to HCL. I had to train my replacement but I was one of the few lucky ones who was offered an opportunity to remain with HCL. I stayed with them for a little over a year, but left because management was all over the place. There were too many managers and not enough people to actually perform the work. Also if you were not Indian or of Indian decent you were treated like a second class citizen and many times not even included in your own departmen's meetings. the non-Indian employees used to refer to the company as HCHell instead of HCL... that tells a lot...

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more responsive. I know they are based in India but responsiveness needs to improve. They also need to properly determine the undertaking of projects so that they can provide adequate levels of staff and support.

"No future in this company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Better than average salary compared to other offshore companies. Benefits are OK even though every year benefits are getting cut here and there. You can meet bright people here as well

Cons

HCL looks at employee as a commodity - W2 contractor with benefits, nothing more. No training. They just put you on any project so that you are billable. If you are not on the project there is no bench time - they call you and let you go immediately or force you to take unpaid leave. It is likely illegal to ask full time employee to take an unpaid leave. But since many employees are on H1B they have to be quiet and compliant. During Christmas time they force you to take vacation. They win projects by price dumping and using majority of offshore resources but quality of many consultants are really bad. Customers who thought they saved money are getting poorly implemented projects. As a result some SAP implementations end up in a disaster - recent $100 million Miller Coors lawsuit against HCL is an example. It adds to HCL poor reputation.

Advice to Management

HCL has a good slogan "Employees first" but it is not working in real life. In fact, employee is a "last thing" at HCL. Take care of your employees, invest in them and you will be rewarded.

"Poor Recognition for Long Time Fulltime Employees"

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

N o t h I n g

Cons

HCL pays more salary for unknown new comers from outside. Worst Salary and Recognition for existing employees.

$60k or less for existing top performing employees, min $95k+ for unknown new comers.

Advice to Management

Pay MARKET STANDARD salary for knowledge and work the employee do for organization. Treat and respect to all the employees.

5. "Worst Company to work for"

Current Employee - Associate General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be an employee friendly company

Cons

Claim as one of the top IT Services company with poor top level management. Suck your blood and there are couple of accounts like UBS - they literally put you under the bus - humiliate you in all occasions

Advice to Management

Change required from top level guy

"Run Don't Walk From HCL"

Former Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

Pros

None at all based upon my experience.

Cons

Poor pay and poor benefits. I resigned my position and gave 2 weeks notice. HCL requested this in my offer letter. HCL refused to pay me for the 2 weeks. HR never contacted me. I was unable to find out if my health benefits were still in place. I emailed at least 6 HR staff members and was never answered. I have been working in IT for 25 years and have never experienced a company treating an employee this poorly. I have a family and HCL could care less. I believe legally HCL must provide this information as well as providing options to continue health care coverage. Nothing was offered. Do not work for this company if you value integrity and fair treatment.

Advice to Management

Too many things to list. Start with running your company like a real business. If you ask for 2 weeks notice then honor your request. Have an exit interview if an employee leaves.

"Terrible for Juniors. Worst company I've worked for. Run the other way."

Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time

Pros

Despite all of the negativity, if you're placed on the right project you have massive opportunity to "Learn by osmosis," meaning that you'll be working side by side tons of consultants with decades of experience. And you'll report directly to them, with no one between the two of you.
    If you have experience, you're golden. Don't be caught up as a Junior. One of the great things is that you get to really choose your own path, and you're given the freedom to do so. Somewhat. That's terribly destructive to a Junior who needs direction and mentor-ship.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    - No pay raise/promotion DESPITE being promised huge opportunity during vetting process. I'm not the only one; others at much higher levels are confirming that NO ONE is getting raises/promotions.
    - Low pay and very little chance of decent bonus pay out.
    - Peers at other companies are starting out at higher pays, and enjoy more challenging assignments which leads to an upward spiral or raises, promotions, and more recognition. At HCL, no one gets recognized.
    - HCL and Axon merged several years back. India stayed off of America's back for a while. That's all starting to really change, and only getting worse. Word on the street is HCL is gearing to become an MSP: Managed Service Provider, since this is the typical Indian model.
    - Where are the SAP projects? They all seem to be disappearing at this company. Executives cry out that all companies are seeing similar trends. Yet, great sources at Accenture, InfoSys, and CapGemini tend to tell me the opposite is true.

"I do not recommend Hcl. Prefer to move on to another job."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got me a job.
    Followed through until I got Onboarded at the client's site.
    Showed me how to user their system enter time worked and issue tickets.

Cons

Very unfair to employees in America.
    Forced me to accept a small part of my salary as bonus but paid it every three months. Then in the last two months and half when we were let go, Hcl said we needed to complete the three months to earn the "bonus". No partial credit was given
    Worked for them for almost two years and no severance was given. No "benching" in America they told me.
    Wanted to get me a job making 30k less than I was making

Only 10 days vacation days per year.
    I never called in sick. Never missed a day. And no severance. Zero penny.

I would not recommend Hcl to anyone. They treat their Indian employees well from what I heard. But were very unfair to the American empLoyees. Or at least to me. And told me they have no benching in America.

Advice to Management

Be truthful. Treat all equally.

"I am happy to be out of there"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

really depends on the manager. I was hired to be part of the US team, manager was passive aggressive, did not really do anything towards the expectations discussed prior to joining/

Cons

Managers are not real " managers" , you can grow in the company if you are a yes man to your boss, chaotic, organization structure keeps changing, bureaucratic, no great decision makers- i am just happy to be out of there. No motivation to wake up and go to work in that place.

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall Park, NJ

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None None None None None

Cons

Work several late nights to sync up with the offshore teams.

Management philosophy is do nothing, unless there is an escalation.

Work typically falls to one or two individuals while others get a free ride.

Advice to Management

Stop the Promotion by years of service crap.

Showing 17 of 9,800 reviews