HCL Technologies Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
HCL Technologies President and CEO C. Vijayakumar
C. Vijayakumar

Cons

1. "Don't Trust a Word They Say"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A legacy of transformation skills

Cons

Deceitful hiring and compensation practices
    Complete lack of diversity - 100% ( nearly Indian )

Advice to Management

Adjust your untrustworthy ways to match the non-Indian world

2. "Worst Company to work for"

Current Employee - Associate General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be an employee friendly company

Cons

Claim as one of the top IT Services company with poor top level management. Suck your blood and there are couple of accounts like UBS - they literally put you under the bus - humiliate you in all occasions

Advice to Management

Change required from top level guy

"Run Don't Walk From HCL"

Former Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

Pros

None at all based upon my experience.

Cons

Poor pay and poor benefits. I resigned my position and gave 2 weeks notice. HCL requested this in my offer letter. HCL refused to pay me for the 2 weeks. HR never contacted me. I was unable to find out if my health benefits were still in place. I emailed at least 6 HR staff members and was never answered. I have been working in IT for 25 years and have never experienced a company treating an employee this poorly. I have a family and HCL could care less. I believe legally HCL must provide this information as well as providing options to continue health care coverage. Nothing was offered. Do not work for this company if you value integrity and fair treatment.

Advice to Management

Too many things to list. Start with running your company like a real business. If you ask for 2 weeks notice then honor your request. Have an exit interview if an employee leaves.

"Terrible for Juniors. Worst company I've worked for. Run the other way."

Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time

Pros

Despite all of the negativity, if you're placed on the right project you have massive opportunity to "Learn by osmosis," meaning that you'll be working side by side tons of consultants with decades of experience. And you'll report directly to them, with no one between the two of you.
    If you have experience, you're golden. Don't be caught up as a Junior. One of the great things is that you get to really choose your own path, and you're given the freedom to do so. Somewhat. That's terribly destructive to a Junior who needs direction and mentor-ship.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    - No pay raise/promotion DESPITE being promised huge opportunity during vetting process. I'm not the only one; others at much higher levels are confirming that NO ONE is getting raises/promotions.
    - Low pay and very little chance of decent bonus pay out.
    - Peers at other companies are starting out at higher pays, and enjoy more challenging assignments which leads to an upward spiral or raises, promotions, and more recognition. At HCL, no one gets recognized.
    - HCL and Axon merged several years back. India stayed off of America's back for a while. That's all starting to really change, and only getting worse. Word on the street is HCL is gearing to become an MSP: Managed Service Provider, since this is the typical Indian model.
    - Where are the SAP projects? They all seem to be disappearing at this company. Executives cry out that all companies are seeing similar trends. Yet, great sources at Accenture, InfoSys, and CapGemini tend to tell me the opposite is true.

"I do not recommend Hcl. Prefer to move on to another job."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got me a job.
    Followed through until I got Onboarded at the client's site.
    Showed me how to user their system enter time worked and issue tickets.

Cons

Very unfair to employees in America.
    Forced me to accept a small part of my salary as bonus but paid it every three months. Then in the last two months and half when we were let go, Hcl said we needed to complete the three months to earn the "bonus". No partial credit was given
    Worked for them for almost two years and no severance was given. No "benching" in America they told me.
    Wanted to get me a job making 30k less than I was making

Only 10 days vacation days per year.
    I never called in sick. Never missed a day. And no severance. Zero penny.

I would not recommend Hcl to anyone. They treat their Indian employees well from what I heard. But were very unfair to the American empLoyees. Or at least to me. And told me they have no benching in America.

Advice to Management

Be truthful. Treat all equally.

"I am happy to be out of there"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

really depends on the manager. I was hired to be part of the US team, manager was passive aggressive, did not really do anything towards the expectations discussed prior to joining/

Cons

Managers are not real " managers" , you can grow in the company if you are a yes man to your boss, chaotic, organization structure keeps changing, bureaucratic, no great decision makers- i am just happy to be out of there. No motivation to wake up and go to work in that place.

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall Park, NJ

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None None None None None

Cons

Work several late nights to sync up with the offshore teams.

Management philosophy is do nothing, unless there is an escalation.

Work typically falls to one or two individuals while others get a free ride.

Advice to Management

Stop the Promotion by years of service crap.

"Find something else to do"

Former Employee - General Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - General Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time

Pros

If you have friends in VP level you get to travel a lot, you don't need to be good at what you do to move ahead

Cons

The company claims to be employee first and have work life balance, two big jokes. In first quarter of 2015 more people I know left than I have ever seen in any other company, including VPs. It's all about margins, processes are created to ensure someone in the approval processes reject employee expenses, or bonuses to save a few bucks.

"worst company ever to work and join"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

hard working software engineers from india.Some people in company are good at technical skills.

Cons

worst company ever to work

1.Managers look their sub-ordinates as slaves.There is no professionalism in the company.

2.If your manager likes you then you will be at good position.There is no proper recognition for any work you do in the company.More of biased company to certain individuals.Managers are very
    dishonest. They will lie to you while your joining on company benefits.

3.Company expected you to work all hours in a day including weekends at short notice and will not take into account their employees obligations outside of work .They don't pay you anything for extra hours.They bring cheap labour from india and make them to stretch for more hours and expect those recruited in USA also to work same hours without extra hour payments or perks.you cannot question your manager or Management.

4.Their insurance plans are worst in IT industry.The upper management never listens to the concerns of workers on any benefits to workers.Though many people are fighting to change the insurance plans they never bother as they provide cheap plans.

5.Lack of job security.Though your full time employee your job is never secured.

6.They don't have any notice period for employee termination or 15 day notice concept.It just on paper.They send people from india immediately next day your project completes.Its same with full time employees in USA.They give termination once their work is done with them.

7.Thier internal immigration service is worst and they have worst record in Green card process for any non - american workers.

8. No support to employees on any issues faced by them with internal applications in USA.everything you need to go for your manager or should wait to get a reply from india for 2-3 days on any questions or SSD.

9. Once your joined your growth stops in USA.No promotions or salary increase.Max salary increase you get is 3%.That to if your manager likes you.

10.They say employee first...but in reality its employee last.Managers will not allow employees to interact much with customer and they try to showcase more what their peers do as themselves.

No Bonus and no increment and your salary might decrease if your location is changed.

Advice to Management

treat your employees well.Learn to treat them as humans not as slaves.
    Stop biased way.Make people to speak in english in organization culture.
    Give equivalent benefits as other companies .

"Good Insurance benefits, horrible everything else"

Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Insurance is good. Some flexibility with work location. Bi-monthly pay is nice. There truly aren't very many "pros" to HCL America...

Cons

I'm not sure why they call it HCL America. Literally everything is handled offshore in India. There isn't a single non-Indian American in senior or executive leadership. No advancement to senior or executive management unless you're Indian. I find this very disturbing and racist. Pay is horrible.

Travel policy is a complete joke. You have to pay for your own travel, cell phone, etc. and hope for reimbursement. Only $50 max a month allowance for cell phone, and they want you to have a smart phone with data and texting. This a is impossible to do with a max of $50. $90-$100 a night limits on hotel stays when traveling. This is AFTER taxes and fees. This is the limit I have as a manager. It's even less for front-line employees.

"Employee First" is just a catch phrase. They DO NOT practice this philosophy. HCL is losing business in America at a rapid pace compared to where they were 5-10 years ago. Companies use HCL for a few years to help their bottom line and realize how bad their services are and then don't renew their contracts. I had a senior leader tell me that their American business is flatlining and all major opportunities are now in Europe.

Advice to Management

Place a senior/executive team IN the United States for HCL America. It would be nice if these leaders were actual Americans with English as their first language. Pay your employees a competitive salary for native U.S. citizens (especially managers)!!!

Start really living the Employee First philosophy. I have been a manager with HCL America for a couple of years and haven't seen it lived out yet. It's a real joke.

Get company travel/T&E cards for your employees who have to travel/buy supplies more than a few times a year. Stop requiring the use of a "travel desk" that is located in India and is 12 hours time difference. Let us use a travel website to book travel for ourselves, this would actually save money for HCL. Stop with the ridiculous $90-$100 AFTER taxes and fees a night limits on hotels. This is so impractical and my employees and I usually end up at a nasty hotel in a dangerous part of town.

HCL America needs to be run by employees that are actually in America. Not having this in place scares off critical talent. You would keep and gain more U.S. business if you started this practice.

Showing 14 of 8,394 reviews