HCL Technologies Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

HCL Technologies President and CEO C. Vijayakumar
C. Vijayakumar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"3.5 Year Technical Consultant"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Big name clients
    - Big and complex Porjects
    - Collect points and rewards for travel expenses to your personal account

Cons

- Employee are Contractors on salaries. Employment can end at anypoint without warning.
    - Unorganized in resource\people management
    - Little opportunity for internal relationships and development
    - Sell projects by being the lowest bidder

Advice to Management

Build Teams and Practices with chemistry and good people. Involve consultants on sales and pre-sales more. A sense of cohesion and chemistry should project to potential clients and increase confidence in the company.

2. "Good people, below market pay"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, I find the people nice to work with. Environment is nice.

Cons

Political minded management that fears to assert on behalf of employees. Offered Pay is low and raises are low.

Advice to Management

Recognize that employees devote and spend 33% of their lives for you and that you need to offer them pay to support the remaining 66% of their lives; ie family and personal obligations.

"Good Pay & Benefits, but horrible at everything else."

Former Employee - Lead Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was very good
    Health benefits were top notch

Cons

Everything at this company is based in India. If you are working in the US, prepare for having absolutely no support from inside the US. Specifically:

1) All the management is in India. From the time I joined the company, I never met a person face to face (even during the interviews)

2) The intranet, emails, etc are all based off of India. If you call tech support for an issue, be prepared to be woken up at 2am because you will get a call from India. Your HR & manager will be in..you guessed it...India. Even the contest they ask you to join are paid in Rupees.

Advice to Management

If you want to expand in the US, make sure you create a standalone US branch with local executives, management, intranet, etc.

4. "I Guess"

Former Employee - Technical Manager in Ridgefield Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits and bench when they want to give it

Cons

Bench at their discretion, beware allowances in pay, only two weeks PTO which included sick days. Cultural clashes at times

Advice to Management

Revamp the company so everyone can feel confortable

5. "Work Culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at HCL Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

It all depends on the project. The project I worked had flexible office hours. Few of my friends projects, the situation was very hectic. They had to work weekends.

Cons

It is like government office. They keep you in bencj for years and throw you out.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a Job. Better than being unemployed

Cons

Company is based in India. All processes are performed via e-mail and HR customer service portal. Things take long to get resolved. The ratio of manager to employees actually performing the work need to be reversed. I had to give mandatory 2 weeks notice before leaving, which meant they would owe me another week of pay. Have not received payment for my last week. seeking legal action to try to get paid.

Advice to Management

"Employees First" axiom is definitely not practiced in HCL America. You do get the impression that it is in India.
    If company policies apply only to certain regions they should be made specifically clear.
    Sensitivity training should also be given to Indian employees – so they can relate to American culture just as American employees are given sensitivity training to learn to relate to Indian employees.

7. "Not a great company"

Current Employee - Group Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Group Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good learning oppurtunities for freshers and college passouts.

Cons

Micro management and lack of open attitude

Advice to Management

Management need to start focussing on employee satisfaction. Company needs to revisit all employee benefits and related policies

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at HCL America for over 4 year. My old company outsourced my product development to HCL in 1998. They gave me a retention bonus earned after staying for a year, which is nice.

Cons

I am one of the many senior software engineer in the team. Every year, they kept laying off current senior people and outsourced their responsiblities to India. Some Indian programmers are pretty good technically. But they only do what you tell them to do. They don't have much other common sense. If you spec is missing a few details or is wrong, they would just code it anyway. Also, there is no career opportunities for existing developers from the transitioned company. You are there for knowledge transfer only. I see all these junior/mid developers rose the ranks to become managers or leads over the 4 years that I worked there. Their idea of employee first is really Indian people first. Also, I got like less than 1% raise every year. The only reason that I stayed was because my manager, who is out of state, let me worked from home (which is a real big convenience). Their HCL America web site was really confusing with a lot of sites that are not connected. I had to create several credentials. But over the years, they improved it a lot, actually. But as of 2012, it is still not as good as my old company's internal website (2008). There is a lot of bureaucracy within the organization. We tried to get a laptop and had to go thru like a dozen approvals and took over a year. Also, HCL does not really know how to do product development. All they are about is their bottom-lin and profit margin.

"A company that calls itself 'a transformer' while actually being just a body shopper"

Current Employee - Solution Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in New York, NY

Pros

stable employment even in crisis situation
    visionary CEO and some good top executives

Cons

A body shop that has zero interest in the employee and employees well being
    CEO talks about "employee first" "disruptive" "transformer" but no one at the ground level implements it...all are just interested in billing..forget value creation
    HR and Admin behave like they are doing a favor by letting the employee work in USA
    Worst compensation in USA
    Benefits are bare minimum (as req by law) and lowest possible
    Works like Indian government, a lot of red tape for everything
    Kingdoms run by "General" Managers who do not add any value, they just walk around showing their influence and power

Advice to Management

Don't just listen to what Vineet (CEO) says and clap. Implement it! "Invest" in value creation, forget 100% billing. Pay decent salaries and benefits that match the industry "in USA". Revamp on-site HR and Admin groups .. they don't care for the employees needs.

"There was once potential....until most of the workforce was laid off or outsourced..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rutherford, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rutherford, NJ

Pros

The people. Your fellow employees that are dwindling in numbers.

Cons

No guidance or honesty at the senior management level. No clear plan for the future. There was always a feeling of the floor dropping from underneath you. Too many layoffs after being told there wouldn't be any. Overall sense of dread.

Advice to Management

Resign your positions and allow new more enthusiastic people to run the company.

Showing 11 of 8,845 reviews