HCL Technologies Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

1. "TIER II Technician"

Current Employee - Tier II Technician in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Tier II Technician in Cary, NC

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good people. Nearly impossible to get fired. Good starter job, not a career job, more like a stepping stone.

Cons

You experience will greatly differ depending on what project you work on. Pay is uncompetitive, going above and beyond and working hard is rewarded with, more work. If you work hard and and have exceptional attendance, you will meet the same rewards as someone that is the opposite. Favoritism and politics come into play a lot. It's all about numbers, so if you are tasked with a side project you won't hit your number and will be penalized for it. Meanwhile the guy that answers 40 calls a day but doesn't actually fix anything causing more calls in turn, will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Competitive pay, overpay the ones that actually have the skill and drive and they will be with your company a long time. Stop hiring people with customer skills experience and little to no technical experience. That only puts a strain on those who know what they are doing and disrupts them from doing their own work.

"Great company unless you actually like getting paid"

Current Employee - Field Support Technician in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Field Support Technician in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at HCL Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Hard working, fast paced environment
    Opportunity to travel (mostly out of your own pocket, of course)

Cons

Not concerned what so ever with making sure paychecks are received
    If you are unfortunate enough to be a sub-contractor to HCL, you are lower than dirt
    Only supplying one tech to a contract that obviously needs more

Advice to Management

Quit making issues overly complicated, just resolve them
    Quit passing blame
    Actually look out for the lower level tech

"Not Bad but could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good flexibility and opportunity to excel.

Cons

Depending on job can be a grind. They will push you to innovate and theres an expectation to create value for the customer, which could be a good thing. But the push is to monetize these ideas.
    New projects will get alot of resources once the environment is stable thats when the cuts begin.
    Work out your salary going in.. Dont depend on raises/bonuses.
    Raises dont keep up with cost of living. And thats if you get one.

Advice to Management

Focus on how Americans Work and thier expectations. The Indian Business Model makes for unhappy employees in US.

"3.5 Year Technical Consultant"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Big name clients
    - Big and complex Porjects
    - Collect points and rewards for travel expenses to your personal account

Cons

- Employee are Contractors on salaries. Employment can end at anypoint without warning.
    - Unorganized in resource\people management
    - Little opportunity for internal relationships and development
    - Sell projects by being the lowest bidder

Advice to Management

Build Teams and Practices with chemistry and good people. Involve consultants on sales and pre-sales more. A sense of cohesion and chemistry should project to potential clients and increase confidence in the company.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, benefits. Good for H1B folks. You are good if you find business for them with Client you are working

Cons

no career path for America employees. Expect you to move to any location in US for newer assignment.

6. "Deceptive Job Listings"

Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at HCL Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a decent Health package and the 401k matching is nice. There are plenty of online resources available for eLearning and advancing your own skills.

Cons

Getting assistance from peers and senior management on unclear tasks is often difficult.

Often placed on a new project that may or may not have anything to do with what you were originally hired for.

7. "Good for freshers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good HR policies, global presence

Cons

Less technical work, work life balance.

8. "What I expected"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The client I work for is great, but steadily downsizing over the years, which is why I was outsourced to HCL in the first place.

Cons

India-based contract fufiller. Pay ok. Raises terrbile. Changing assignements often requires re-locating. Convoluted internal systems. I never met face to face with any other HCL employee.

"Bizzare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really liked working for HCL. The company had an employee first policy and the benefits showed this. This is all I can say positive about the company though.

Cons

HCL was a bizarre company to work with and not one I can recommend. The company has a non-existent cohesiveness that forces one to wonder who is actually in charge. When I began working for HCL in 2014, there were 30 some odd people showing up in the Cary, NC office that week and the office manager had just heard about it the day I showed up. I spent 4-weeks employed before I had a laptop and had actually visited a company site before being assigned a laptop. I was forced to use my own personal equipment. Further, I was usually the last person to know of my next assignment and once privy to the emails, the discussions had been going on for several weeks.

The end of my "career" with HCL came when the organization I was assigned to within HCL was dissolved, but all the affected employees promised, on several occasions, that the move would not be career affecting. Somehow, I got included in the email chain discussing my current assignments. Even though my reporting managers were trying to have me assigned to the HCL CTO's office, a person that was not actively in my organizational structure was was working very diligently to get me benched from HCL only two weeks after being told by very senior management this would not happen. This was after two years of excellent reviews and 85% - 90% bonuses.

Last, beware of travel, because were several times I traveled to a client location to find the travel desk hadn't actually booked a hotel room and the travel policy will not allow you to be reimbursed without prior approval. All travel is out of pocket and done trough advances to personal accounts which may not post to your account until the day you travel.

Advice to Management

None.

"I worked for HCL Technologies"

Former Employee - Consultant in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Cary, NC

Pros

I worked for HCL Technologies for over 4 years. I was prompted each year based on performance. Workers support each other but management is clueless and just wants to please the customer

Cons

Majority of the workers are Offshore in India. Company is taking over America's technology jobs by providing low cost support. Everything is always needed yesterday.

Advice to Management

Don't terminate excellent employees with out a chance to explain the issues properly

Showing 134 of 8,727 reviews