HCP Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 20, 2018

3.7
Thomas M. Herzog

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Amazing progress at HCP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at HCP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have seen a slow and painful leadership change at HCP over the last several years, which at first caused me to doubt if HCP would even survive as an organization. However, in the past two years under Tom Herzog's leadership, HCP has finally started getting our stride in laying a strong foundation for growth. We've cleaned up our portfolio to attain more favorable street ratings in addition to having a now unified leadership team who is truly concerned with employee welfare and engagement. We still have a lot of heavy lifting to do with regards to changing our employment culture, but I have seen a steady stream of improvements in that arena. From small things like more casual dress code and daily healthy snack offerings to large things like a new fitness reimbursement policy, even more attractive benefit offerings (a completely free HMO option in addition to lowered rates in general), and above market compensation, HCP is truly becoming a place where many would desire to work, even if just based on the perks and compensation alone. In addition to all this, HCP has very intelligent, committed, hard-working, and genuine employees. I'm excited to see our progress continue to unfold in the upcoming years, especially with our new and forward-thinking leadership team in place.

Cons

HCP is still going through change daily, and that is likely to remain a constant as our goal is to be continually improving and evolving as an organization. If you don't like change, especially change on steroids and as a constant, HCP won't be the right environment for you. Also, growth paths are limited since we are small with regard to headcount. We are starting to hire more entry-level employees who will have more growth opportunities within their HCP career, but for those in middle management or further along in their career, the ladder is very short or non-existent. Work/Life/Balance is also a concern that is being improved but still needs much work. Because we are small and have taken on many process improvement and technology implementation projects across the organization, workloads continue to be large and a bit overwhelming for many employees. The company is becoming more flexible and allowing employees to work from home/remotely on an as-needed basis depending on the team, which does help those employees with families and/or other obligations outside of work.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employee feedback and communicating to employees as much as possible. Continue modeling transparency and follow-through. Keep up the great work!

"Moving in the right direction..."

I have been working at HCP full-time

Pros

Change is never easy, most especially when it is done in a short amount of time. However, change is also necessary in order for a company to progress. HCP has been on this path of change and is still going through it and with success. Under HCP's new leadership and strong commitment to its employees, I would not be surprised if HCP will be considered one of the best companies to work for within the next few years.

Cons

Work/Life balance can still be a struggle. It can vary depending on the manager. I believe that, as the company continues to make improvements on technology and become more efficient in various processes, work/life balance can be accomplished.

3. "Focused Vision with new leadership"

I have been working at HCP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic vision and focus, strong industry leader and attention to detail.

Cons

Little room for advancement due to size

Advice to Management

Offer employees growth opportunities and stronger education opportunities.

4. "Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Corporate Paralegal in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Paralegal in Long Beach, CA

I worked at HCP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and a solid professional environment with specialists from various backgrounds. Good Human Resource team. Nice office and events all year.

Cons

Stressful environment with office politics taking place more often than desired. Hard to get promoted as well. Conservative standards are too cherished.

5. "Very strong company"

I have been working at HCP full-time

Pros

This is a very strong company with lots of smart and hard-working employees.

Cons

Departments are constantly understaffed and staff often feels unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Foster communication between managers and staff and between departments.

"Culture has Changed at HCP!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at HCP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ever-changing environment but finally moving in a forward thinking direction! I have seen how the company has evolved over the past couple years and it continues to become a great place to work. This will be a great place to work for you if you enjoy change, adding value through collaboration, being proactive with processes, are a great communicator and if you always have a positive attitude through the changes. HCP is a family and you have to be willing to roll your sleeves up and help each other out.

Cons

Change can be scary...sure! The only Con would be that we have been through lots of change over the past couple years but we have made amazing improvements through it all. If rolling with the changes isn't your style then HCP isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue improving Work/Life/Balance. I see it working and its making HCP an even better place to work. Please continue providing feedback to your employees and taking part in their growth. All we want out of this world is to grow, be successful, and provide a wonderful life for ourselves and our families.

7. "Sr. Associate"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Irvin Cobb Resort, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Irvin Cobb Resort, KY

I worked at HCP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work enviornment, benifits, tuition reimbursement, and paid vacation.

Cons

Nothing to say on this!

"Good company performance but poor work/life balance"

I worked at HCP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is above average
    New CEO seems to be heading in the right direction, now if only the department heads followed her lead

Cons

raises & promotions seem to have more to do with politics than actual ability
    not much attention to work/life balance (several departments in on weekends & late into the night)
    high turnover
    more about cost cutting than growing their people

Advice to Management

invest in your people. It's not always about the bottom line.

"Beware"

Former Employee - Management in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Above average salary package to compensate for work environment

Cons

Employees are pawns in a game. Your personal success and failure is not in your own hands.

Advice to Management

Ask the Board to get involved with this company. Too many unexplained changes at the executive level over the last several years.

"Think twice about joining this company"

Former Employee - Representative of Management in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Representative of Management in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Although HCP is a S&P company, the CEO manages it as if it was a family business. Literally every little decisiosn must be approved by the CEO. There is little input from other senior leaders and they are unable and unwilling to make independent decisions that are customary at other companies. The CEO and other members of senior managemnt maintian a distance frm having to interact with employees. Performance management is a farce. Annual reviews focus on perception rather than performance against goals.

The culture is cancerous with continous turnover.

Cons

Limited opportunity to contribute - with heavy micro -,amagement
    Annual company goals and project management skills are non-existent
    Constant fire dril

Advice to Management

Maintain the compensation package - thats the only reason people stay