HCR ManorCare Reviews in Columbus, OH | Glassdoor

Columbus, OH

2.5
Steve Cavanaugh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Coworkers are willing to help you when you get 3 admits all to yourself (in 11 reviews)

• Has good benefits to working here (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is regularly short staffed (in 45 reviews)

• Salaries are only high for upper management (in 43 reviews)

1. "My job"

Current Employee - Business Office Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Business Office Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great teamwork for all the disciplines. Communication always needs work, but mostly everyone makes a good effort. 90% of the time you see smiling faces.

Cons

Some disciplines only have so many workers which puts a strain on the team. Communication is the key to a successful future.

"Admissions Coordinator"

Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, paid holiday and vacations, administration was very lenient with days off, non nursing staff were always nice and I made friendships while I was working there.

Cons

Awful awful corporate. I actually liked my building and co workers. My regional corporate boss was a money hungry leach. We would have morning calls to go over pipeline every single morning with all the buildings in the region, just so everyone (Liasons, business development, admissions, HCI) could all throw each other under the bus and someone had to be a scapegoat. Sadly, that’s all those morning calls were for. To get someone in trouble and blame if the admission didn’t go through. My corporate boss wanted me to turn a private room into a semi private room in the matter of maybe an hour (isn’t that the point of a private room, to stay PRIVATE) when it just wasn’t feasible, timely, nor did it make sense (again money hungry). Admission agreements-GOOD LUCK. Literally impossible to get done due to your workload, but were expecting to get them all completed before resident discharged. I had to clean rooms to get them ready for an admission, which I actually wasn’t bothered with because the housekeepers also have unrealistic expectations with their work load...but it did take away paperwork time to get agreements signed. My administrator was actually a good person and the DON. Just really did not like my corporate bosses which is ultimately why I quit. They talk rudely about other staff members to you and are not professional at all. I literally felt like I was in middle school again with the trash talking and bullying. Awful company to work for, truly. I couldn’t get out there fast enough. You get paid decent, but not enough for all the work you have to do, while corporate gets paid to basically sit on the phone and yell at everyone. No praise for doing good work, only recognized for the negative or if you make a mistake. Favoritism, don’t get me started! I noticed corporate would never hire anyone new, they would just switch job roles with one another..which created a basically non existent chance of ever getting promoted. Definitely beware of the corporate side if you ever decide to work in management for this company.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like children and have respect. Be professional and don’t talk poorly about other co workers. Don’t always try to blame someone for a mistake, usually the mistakes in admissions were a group mistake therefor EVERYONE should be held accountable, not just the person you hate the most. Literally it seems most of corporate hated their miserable lives and took it out on non coorporate people daily. Nasty nasty people.

"Watch your back, smile, grin,bear it, do not use the open door policy"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse/Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse/Supervisor in Columbus, OH

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of extra shifts to pick up if financially needed, you are on your own to work/make decisions independantly without being micro-managed

Cons

Pay is less than average, work load is more than average, poor as the very least statement for management, be VERY careful as management will stab you in the back to save themselves from state surveyors, look you straight in the eye and lie no matter how long, dedicated, or sincere of an employee you have been. Better stated management is manipulative,decieving con artists.

Advice to Management

Turn that frown upside down.You should consider working in a whole other field to find yourself and inner happiness in life again. I have never seen management so miserable, unappreciative, unprofessional, and extremely verbally aggressive. Your attitude as the main facility represenative trickles all the way down the work ladder. Utimately, the residents and patients are the important ones who are affected and suffer from a toxic work environment.

"Admissions Coordinator"

Current Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I have been working at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits
    Sick and Vacation time
    Administrator was helpful and willing to help solve problems
    Fun events for staff and residents

Cons

Underpaid
    Not enough staff required for corporate's expectations for facility admissions
    Staff rudeness toward admissions
    picking up slack of others

Advice to Management

Be willing to help admissions and provide coverage when possible or necessary. Half of my day was spent going on a wild chase finding housekeepers to get rooms ready that should have been done days ago for an admission. Social workers expect you to tell residents about them getting a roommate even though it's their job since admissions can't document. Nursing and most of the staff constantly have attitudes because you are doing your job aka ADMISSIONS

5. "Nice People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at HCR ManorCare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of nice co workers.

Cons

There seems to be a turn over.

"RN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Good people was a typical shop, no unusual activates

Cons

Pay was low and seemed to attached lower-end nurses.

Advice to Management

Hire better skilled people

"just ok"

Former Employee - Floor Tech in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Floor Tech in Columbus, OH

Pros

its a job. you get paid do work and there are some free things you get

Cons

they dont value you. everyone is replacable mentality invest in yourself becasue they will not invest in you

"RN Supervisor"

Former Employee - RN Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - RN Supervisor in Columbus, OH

Pros

You get paid . If you survive all the LPN's and RN's have the supervisor title so you can take that to your next job.

Cons

Extreme under-staffing and regular call offs. The only time management is helping a lot is when the their is a State inspection which happens often because of family complaints of resident treatment.

Showing 8 of 1,170 reviews