HCR ManorCare Reviews | Glassdoor

1,018 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,018 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Coworkers are willing to help you when you get 3 admits all to yourself (in 11 reviews)

• Decent pay, great benefits, awesome (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Heartland creates a very oppressive work environment; every decision is based on meeting the bottom line so that upper management can get their bonuses (in 40 reviews)

• Short staffed, Combative resident, 10 minute walk from bus (in 39 reviews)

1. "Heartland Hospice"

Former Employee - Account Liaison in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Account Liaison in Greenville, SC

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company with many resources to assist you, small local office to support you and with the right people it feels like a 2nd family.

Cons

You're territory is to large to cover, it's hard to make connections when you have so many accounts to call on. Nurses also have the large territory which could mean the patients have to wait longer while the nurse travels to their home.

Advice to Management

Small coverage area for both sales and clinical team, it's not fair to patients to have to wait over an hour due to travel time.

2. "Work is Work"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Livonia, MI

I have been working at HCR ManorCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of overtime & locations all over the US, sign on bonus with 1 year commitment.

Cons

Workload can be overwhelming, due to high turnover at times.

3. "Registred Nurse"

Current Employee - Registred Nurse in Caguas, PR
    Current Employee - Registred Nurse in Caguas, PR

I have been working at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay. Director of Nursing is really accessible.

Cons

A lot of patients for one nurse. in the night.

Advice to Management

More organization

"Avoid This Company At All Costs"

Former Employee - Compliance Coordinator in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Compliance Coordinator in Toledo, OH

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Co-Workers, Convenient Location for Downtown Toledo, Warm and Welcoming CFO,

Cons

Non-competitive Wages, Archaic Company Policies, Will Fire People Instantly Instead of Proper Warnings or Investigations, Deceitful HR, No Unique Perks, Cold Mid-level Management (VPs and GMs), CEO Desperately Wants Out Because He Knows The Company Will Be Dissolved Soon. I had plenty of downtime but when I requested more work I was constantly questioned about why I wanted to work more. After being promised a bigger role during the job interviews and training process I was still given only 2 hours of work a day. I even inquired about possible promotions because of my desire to prove my worth and the VP saw this as an "attitude problem" and was told I need to put in my time before I can be considered for alternate roles (I have never seen a company think negatively about wanting to work harder and advance your career). I on multiple occassions spoke open and honestly regarding my job security because I was being paid far more than what I was producing for the company and wanted to produce more but was assured at every instance that I was doing better than expected and to just be patient. Then I was fired for being told by direct manager that I was able to sick days in place of vacation days until I was eligible and a VP found out. Instead of punishing the manager for giving me incorrect advice or giving me a proper warning, I had no previous warnings for this and perfect attendance at work. I was then told by another departments manager that the real reason I was fired was because I was asking for more work and they saw it as an "attitude problem" (again direct quote).

Advice to Management

Proper leadership training for all VPs. I cant believe the way i was treated when I was just simply trying to help the company. These are chances to embrace and groom a young employee to be exactly what you need them to be. Do not just brush them off. Also wanting to work more and harder is a good thing. If more people had my mindset in the company I am confident they would not be in the situation they are in. You should want to attract hard workers, not fire them for wanting more work. Give proper warnings out. My firing shocked everyone that knew me in company across many different departments because they were unaware that it was something you could even fire someone for on a first offense. Many of them didn't even know that they were not allowed to sick days that way. I would suggest adapting a modern Time Off policy that lumps together sick/personal/vacation days because it is much better for employees. There is a reason why all of your young talent leaves after 1-2 years.

5. "Admissions"

Current Employee - Director of Admissions in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Director of Admissions in Toledo, OH

I have been working at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company to work for
    benefits included
    hire within company
    easily able to transfer within the company
    work together to make sure you are achieving goals

Cons

work over hours
    vacation time during the first year

"Horrible place to work!"

Former Employee - RN Supervisor in Gig Harbor, WA
    Former Employee - RN Supervisor in Gig Harbor, WA

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated, hard working staff of nurses.

Cons

Staffing practices that are unsafe to patients. Revolving door of staff! DNS and Administrator that don't care that patients are being harmed. Numerous residents have died, and it wasn't reported to the State.

Advice to Management

Close this place down or change your management practices. Look at why people don't want to work here.

7. "STNA"

Current Employee - STNA in Parma, OH
    Current Employee - STNA in Parma, OH

I have been working at HCR ManorCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Making money. Enjoy working with the elderly. Like to hear story's about residents past.

Cons

Short staffed for aid's. Not enough time to talk to residents or family members

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Long-Term Care in Jersey Shore, PA

I have been working at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can not think of one thing that is positive about this job, staff and managers are horrible too many gossip clicks

Cons

Favoritism is shown too much, can not print corporate policy Two people corrected with two different punishments. One nothing was done because she was pregnant the other who is a service connected vet was severely punished with hrs reduced and shift change

Advice to Management

Be respectful of your employees, do not continue to show favoritism. Equal punishment for all employees and fair wages for the area

"Nurse Supervisor"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Supervisor in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Supervisor in Livonia, MI

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

12 hr shifts
    Decent pay w/ shift & weekend differential

Cons

High turnover rate. In a month 3 unit managers quit, the others were all new with a few months under their belt. The poor teamwork. Day shift staff was so rude. No one steps up to help the new kid on the block. Aides not doing their job. Rooms old & unkempt . CNAs under supervised d/t the nurse workload being so heavy. Patients & residents receiving poor care just in general.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

10. "Receptionist"

Former Employee - Receptionst in McMurray, PA
    Former Employee - Receptionst in McMurray, PA

I worked at HCR ManorCare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of co-workers are great. Families and residents were the best part of the job.

Cons

Too much micro management. Salary is awful. No benefits for part timers such as sick or vacation time accrual. Rearrange schedule for front desk. No one wants to come in for a 3 hour shift.

Advice to Management

You want everyone to give expect yourselves.

Showing 1,018 of 1,039 reviews