HCR ManorCare "short staffed" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 27, 2019

2.8
HCR ManorCare President  David Parker
David Parker

"Former STNA, assisted with patients ADL's"

Former Employee - STNA in Parma, OH

I worked at HCR ManorCare part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Residents were pleasant and a great learning experience. - Activities department had fun activities planned every day to get residents involved - Nurses were helpful, especially when aides were short staffed - they'd help pick up the slack

Cons

- Pay was average and when they claimed they were giving you a raise they never actually did. - HR was never available and never resolved issues. - They were always short staffed and had unrealistic expectations of you - Many aides were lazy and/or mistreated patients

HCR ManorCare2016-07-22
  2. "Awesome"

Former Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Richardson, TX

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful environment that felt like a home. Great supervisors and team work all around. Wonderful family members.

Cons

Seeing residents pass away Staff call ins leaving shifts short staffed alot

Advice to Management

Just pay higher wages! More good workers will tend to stay

HCR ManorCare2016-07-13

"Not good"

Licensed Practical Nurse in Sunbury, PA

I have been working at HCR ManorCare for more than 8 years

Pros

Co workers are great. Hours

Cons

Short staffed. Pay scale is bad insurance sucks higher management are not helpful and one is nasty and talks you down bringing in train wrecks and no staff

Advice to Management

Listen to staff. Increase in pay. Hire CNAs and have more than 4 on a floor

HCR ManorCare2016-08-04

"Horrible place to work"

in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at HCR ManorCare for less than a year

Pros

The residents, who you fall in love with.

Cons

Corporate! Management!...they could care less about the patiets or employees. ALWAYS short staffed & incompetant agency nurses who make serious errors. The building is old and run down. The 2nd floor smells horribly!

Advice to Management

Ask yourself could/would you reside there or better yet, would you leave your parents there?

HCR ManorCare2016-04-18
  5. "Fulfilling but very hard work."

Certified Nursing Assistant

I worked at HCR ManorCare

Pros

Working with the residents is a very rewarding experience. Getting to see a resident go home is a very heart warming feeling. Although you are sad to see them leave, its rewarding to know that you were a part of something so important. Work can be very fun and fulfilling when you take the time to get to know the residents and co-workers.

Cons

It is very hard work and exhausting work. You are often required to work short-staffed on a regular basis.

HCR ManorCare2016-03-08

"Typical LTC Facility"

Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Long-Term Care in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at HCR ManorCare

Pros

Mostly clean, co-workers, direct deposit paychecks

Cons

Repeatedly short staffed, poor scheduling services for your work schedule & for vacation requests, management doesn't listen to concerns or complaints of staff, pay is low

Advice to Management

Hire more staff, offer higher pay

HCR ManorCare2016-02-24

"Terrible company to work for"

Former Employee - CNA in Reno, NV

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

The kitchen went above and beyond to meet residents requests. The facility is very nice, the rooms are relatively spacious. Activities does a fair job of providing things for residents to do.

Cons

Always short staffed, making for overworked and short tempered employees. Low pay and terrible benefits. Management doesn't give two cents about staff, creating a hostile work atmosphere and a constant turnover of employees. Corporate is incredibly greedy. Getting a raise is practically unheard of. When state comes to inspect, everything is cleaned up the day before and everyone is put on their best behavior. After state is gone, regulations go back to being lax.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff a reasonable wage in relation to the work you are asking them. Stop being apathetic to staff input and make staff feel cared about. Provide opportunities for staff to improve themselves and feel motivated. Your staff's attitude directly affects your residents, so if you want happy clients, make your staff happy.

HCR ManorCare2016-02-03

"Some things are frustrating but overall it is okay."

CNA in Montgomeryville, PA

I have been working at HCR ManorCare

Pros

Decent hourly rate for a new hire with my experience level. Most of the nurses will pitch in if you are short staffed. DON is very nice and approachable. I think overall the direct care staff cares about their jobs. Easy to pick up hours as a CNA. There is a transportation service at my location for employees who live in the nearest city.

Cons

Lots of the CNAs speak their language amongst each other and it is off putting as an English speaker, also it makes communication hard. New administrator every few years, the current one is standoffish. Fair to poor communication between departments. They are always expecting the CNAs to do more and are short staffed often, but the work is manageable if you work with good people.

Advice to Management

Please actually enforce your callout and absence rules. There are many employees at my location who call out once every week-two weeks and don't seem to be written up or have any corrective action. We often work short and it is very difficult to provide the level of care you expect from us when we are struggling to provide the bare minimum to our patients/residents.

HCR ManorCare2015-12-23
  9. "Rn Charge Nurse"

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time

Pros

Variety of work. Good experience.

Cons

Short staffed, underappreciated, high stress

HCR ManorCare2016-01-21

"Feel sorry for the patients"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Long-Term Care in Oak Lawn, IL

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

you get scheduled off every other weekend

Cons

High turnover, very short staffed, although management says they have an open door policy, beware when reporting ANY issues, management doesn't want to hear it. It's very sad, feel sorry for those patients. I DO NOT recommend working here.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, give them the tools to succeed, happy employees=happy patients/clients,

HCR ManorCare2016-01-07