HCSC Reviews | Glassdoor

HCSC Reviews

Updated April 29, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance can be improved (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management does not have a clue what is going on with the lower level people (in 17 reviews)

"Moving to Outsourced Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No pros here - very painful transition to offshore support - also moving to "voluntarily" LOL release employees over the age of 50

Cons

Have to train replacements to receive your separation package

"Customer Advocate"

Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Waco, TX

I have been working at HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home is a dream. When ill and out on leave, I was treated well by the staff and case manager.

Cons

All else is collapsing. HCSC is just another insidious "corporation", not a good place to work. High stress, not only from the calls, but also from the constantly changing rules and requirements. Not to mention the IT which is gone to pot - there are too many programs that have no central starting place. Half of the time on the call (and trust me, every second you are on and off the phone is monitored to an Orwellian level). virtually no training, mass confusion throughout. "Winging it" is the way we cope. In correct information given, we get in trouble, but they don't look at the source of the matter - lousy system, lousy training, piss-pour management on the higher levels. Enough said?

Advice to Management

Stop the money grab and treating us like robots. Expendable and ultimately unnecessary. But for the fact that our clientele wants an American on the line, we would have been outsourced years ago. Lousy service, but you'd sure have a lot of money.

"IT"

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and salaries. I have 16 years service and basically forced to take severance package.

Cons

Once a great place to work. Last 2 years have been rough. Outsourcing 100's of jobs and expect employees that are losing their jobs to train incoming vendor.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. They were willing to take less money to save the company but that was not an option

"Interesting Time for Older IT Workers at HCSC"

I have been working at HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HCSC used to be an exceptional place to work. It was a place where your experience and dedication were rewarded with loyalty and opportunities for advancement. They did offer a good "Voluntary Separation Package" for long term employees of a certain age.

Cons

HCSC is currently outsourcing the majority of its Information Technology operations to HCL Global. This move was primarily based on cost savings. Older, experienced American IT workers are significantly more expensive than ones with H-1B visas.

Advice to Management

I am seriously concerned about HCSC's ability to handle its commitment to its members from an IT perspective. I have no confidence that our current IT leadership is aware of the gaping knowledge holes we will have in many of our critical systems as our current workers are laid off.

"Keep looking - abusive and toxic workplace"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at HCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice views of Lake Michigan
    Cafeteria food

Cons

Managers are abusive and harass their employees
    Managers sabotage employees work and set them up for failure
    Managers treat employees like slaves - you are required to work 24/7, holidays, nights, weekends, on your medical leave and paid time off
    Managers require you to stay at your desk all day without a break. If you get up for a stretch break, or get lunch, you are told you are not allowed
    Managers stalk you on the Internet and call you at all hours of the night
    Managers dump work on you they don't want to do and is not your job, then take your job responsibilities and claim them for themselves
    Human Resources blames employees for managers mistakes and incompetence and threatens employees with a lawsuit
    Managers lie and have the support of C-Suite
    Managers encourage gossip and spreading rumors about fellow managers and employees across the company
    Managers bicker and call each other names like five yr olds
    Managers prevent employees from doing their jobs and order them around
    Managers tell employees they need to be quiet and do what they're told
    Managers record phone calls with you in secret and illegally without you knowing about it
    Managers download PHI on their personal computers and take it home to work on
    Managers call you out in front of other employees and make up false statements on your performance review to make them look good

Advice to Management

Watch the world news as the public and the police will know your criminal, unethical and abusive behavior to human beings.

"Market Research"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, great perks, tuition reimbursement, pretty laid back environment.

Cons

Classic corporate bureaucracy everywhere. Managements are generally good, but if you get a bad one, you're pretty much done.

"Outsoursing Infrastructure is a huge mistake"

I have been working at HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a good place to work at until layoffs and outsourcing occurred, cutting hundreds of knowledgeable, loyal employees in 2016.

Cons

Huge mistake to outsource Infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Do not get rid of the mainframe.

"Good people, bad management"

Former Employee - Programmer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Programmer in Chicago, IL

I worked at HCSC (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and great location.

Cons

management mostly homegrown, no outside experience.

Advice to Management

Revamp and start fresh!!!

"Department dependent"

Former Employee - Reporting Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Reporting Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at HCSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great building, good pay, great coworkers, good job security, great opportunities to network and learn in demand skills

Cons

Work life balance is not there, and everything is dependent on your manager, the company claims to have flexible hours but certain managers require an 8-5 schedule with little to no flexibility. Micromanagement is an understatement with certain managers and half a day of training is a joke.

Advice to Management

When I started in my position I heard nothing but negative things from coworkers about my manager and his track record for hiring and losing employees quickly because of his micromanaging, lack of training, and unreasonable expectations. My advice to management is take a look at your middle management. Certain managers did not earn their position by merit and do not even hold a degree.

"Great Work Life Balnace not so great job safety"

Current Employee - Financial Systems Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Systems Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HCSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Place is great. People are friendly and helpful. Direct managers shows empathy.
    Fast paced environment. You get exposure to many new tools and technology.
    Benefits are alright. It is surely a vibrant place as you can see multi culture teams formed.

Cons

Many departments (Specially IT) are facing heavy layoffs. Which brings great sense of fear about job security as management is going through huge changes. Lot of contractors play key decision making roles which doesn't seem to be in company's best interest not to mention is gives a wrong message to full time employees.

Advice to Management

Wouldn't it be better to train your own employees rather than depending upon outsiders for key projects? Other than that place is great.