HD Supply Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HD Supply CEO Joe DeAngelo
Joe DeAngelo

Pros
  • Good work life balance is very good (in 31 reviews)

• Great people, strong vision of where they want corporation to go (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work / life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management changing store offerings based on nation wide usage, removing products from inventory that were good local sellers (in 32 reviews)

1. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at HD Supply (Less than a year)

Pros

Pot lucks and sometimes free food

Cons

This job is horrible.

"Conservative views are not welcome"

I worked at HD Supply full-time

Pros

Salary and bonus compensation was the only good thing about working there.

Cons

Only work there if you agree with far left politics. If you don't and they even have a since that you don't... you will be isolated.

Advice to Management

Be honest with people and don't treat work as if it is high school.

"Field rep"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Make your own schedule. Supportive area manager.

Cons

Too much middle management that has no idea how to do their jobs. They create ridiculous rules & initiatives so their position stays relevant. All brown nosing. Bad insurance options. Only wants to look good to stock holders. Employees are not their first priority.

Advice to Management

Get rid of middle management if you want to save some money and save good employees from finding another company to work for.

"Garbage"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Brooklyn Center, MN
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Brooklyn Center, MN

I worked at HD Supply full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers and my relationships with them.

Cons

Been 5 months since I left and keep in contact with current employees. No changes have been made. Lies and lip service is the #1
    priority. This company is on a backslide. It all needs to change from the top down. Nothing but insanity. You know the definition...DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY.

Advice to Management

Get your things together and stop lying to your employees. They care like I did. Give room for advancement. Very horrible to hear change is coming when it's all bs.

"Robots only please"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL

Pros

The only pro is that it is a Monday thru Friday job.

Cons

Robots need only apply. They have changed their policy to where you can commit no errors. They only want perfect people and those who will do nothing but be yes men and people who kiss butt.

Advice to Management

People aren't robots, don't treat them like it.

"Used to be a good company...."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at HD Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WAS a great learning experience
    WAS a family atmosphere
    WAS a leader in eCommerce

Cons

Upper Management. Joe DeAngelo blatantly lied to our faces when he was on-site in November 2015 and said "the San Diego office is safe, there are no plans to relocate for at least 2 years". In January 2016, an announcement comes that the San Diego office is closing and everyone in the building is being laid off, or forced to reapply for their jobs when the company relocates to Atlanta. I know of only 3 people that were actually offered to move. So, basically it was an excuse to fire 500 people. I understand hard business decisions have to be made, but there has never been ONE apology or ounce of respect for the good, hard-working people that dedicated their lives to this company for years. The company handled this mass reduction in force very poorly in my opinion. The closest I've seen to compassion for the move was a response to a Glassdoor review by the HDS HR team. I don't use the word "evil" often, but upper management has made some pretty heartless decisions. Even before the mass layoffs, it was not a company to be trusted. After going public in 2014, the employee benefits were shredded to appease shareholders. Their "Be Well" initiative included terrible cuts to medical benefits (see other Glassdoor reviews). Not to mention, employees weren't even told the company was going public (kind of a big deal) until the morning of the IPO. We all received an email at 6:30am with the announcement, and that complimentary (stale) breakfast burritos would be available until 8am - knowing that most people start work at 8:30. No advance notice to the people that supposedly "are HD Supply's most important asset", no offers of discounted stock purchases. Thanks for nothing. All this starts and ends with Joe D. His weekly canned email messages are entertaining because of how out of touch he is, and The Way He Oddly Capitalizes Random Phrases. He is a joke. It's sad to root against HD Supply, but this is not the company it used to be. It's possible things will change in Atlanta, but remember, it's still the same management team in place. I wouldn't trust one thing they say to you. Look elsewhere for your next job, or you'll be looking elsewhere within 6 months.

Advice to Management

More of advice to the "Board". Get rid of Joe DeAngelo and all his cronies. The previous management team grew this company into a successful market leader. We were primed for even more growth. Your response is to fire all the people that got you there? If I hadn't seen so many good people heartbroken by their future being upended, I'd laugh at this gross incompetence. Some of the decisions are so head-scratching that I wonder if he was trying to get himself removed.

"bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at HD Supply (More than a year)

Pros

travel, travel, travel, travel

Cons

lay offs, bad management, nepotism, low pay, low pay increases

"Receiving Lead"

Current Employee - Receiving Lead in Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Receiving Lead in Northlake, IL

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people in the department. Everyone works together as a team to get the work done. The associates get along very well.

Cons

The way they promote in the company is very unorthodoxed. They don't go by merit or by qualified persons they go by how much brown nosing you do. Specifically in Northlake.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that actually spend more than 5 minutes on the floor instead of staying in the office avoiding interaction with the associates.

"Down the drain"

Current Employee - RSC
    Current Employee - RSC

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to have a world class Property Improvement Team. Great teamwork, everyone working toward one goal. We were excited to come to work. We worked so hard to be number one. Was terrific spirit among the team.

Cons

New leadership last year turned what we built upside down because they thought they could do it better. Now no one is making plan and our customers no longer turn to us for their Reno needs. All the RSCs used to call each other for advice to grow their business. Now we call each other to see if anyone knows of a company hiring so we can finally get out of this mess.

Advice to Management

Quit. Or hire good managers like we used to have. Better yet - hire back the old ones!

HD Supply Response

Nov 18, 2016 – HR Leader

Thank you for your candid feedback. We will be sure to share it with the Property Improvement leadership team. We never want to lose good people; and with our open door policy, we encourage you to ... More

"Credit Manager"

Former Employee - Credit Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Credit Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at HD Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I felt that my managers did provide me with the tools to grow as a credit manager. Most managers have an open cube policy.

Cons

The company tries to say they're family oriented and promote a healthy lifestyle using their "be well" campaign. I do not think they care about the employees, just obtaining a lower benefits package. I also don't feel that they care about the employee because I was let go 3 days before my wife gave birth. 3 years with the company and not a negative mark on my record, was given a 13% merit raise that year and then...goodbye!

All they care about is the bottom line.

HD Supply Response

Nov 4, 2016 – HR Leader

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We are truly sorry to hear you had this experience. We will be sure to pass this information on to the department leaders. We do not take our ... More