HD Supply Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
HD Supply CEO Joe DeAngelo
Joe DeAngelo

Pros
  • Good work life balance is very good (in 31 reviews)

• Great people, strong vision of where they want corporation to go (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work / life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management changing store offerings based on nation wide usage, removing products from inventory that were good local sellers (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Field Account Rep"

I have been working at HD Supply full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. All about family

Cons

I have no issues with this company at all

Advice to Management

Keep it up your doing great HDSUPPLY

"HD Supply offers no growth. Unethical business practices. Minimum wage and zero benefits compare to similar stores."

Current Employee - Front End in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Front End in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Learned a lot of new skills. Employees are friendly and easy to get along with. Customers are
    very friendly and loyal to the company.

Cons

HD supply has two types of employees; full time and part time. Full time employees get a higher salary and benefits while part time employees get pay minimum wage and zero benefits. All
    new employees start as part time and of course strive to become a full time employee to get paid more, and get health benefits. After working at HD supply for a year now , I can say this company doesn't have any room for personal growth. A year working here and I'm still stuck at being a part time worker with minimum wage and no health benefits. The company doesn't want any part-time employees to become a full- time employee so they don't have to pay more $ and give healthy benefits. Similar to Circuit city practices , they rather hired new unexperienced workers than to promote hard working , loyal , employees that been there for ages working with empty promises of one day moving up within the company. All part time employees must work holidays without being paid time and a half. Although this is legal, this practice is very unethical. Even fast food chains pay their workers time-and-a-half for working holidays!! when you ask for a raise or for a full time position , management simply state that business is slow and sales are down. Yet the next day they hire new workers. Simply unethical , shady business practices. How do they expect us employees to be positive and loyal when they don't reward us for being the catalyst for the company?

Advice to Management

Reward loyal , hardworking employees. We are the foundation and with not stand being cheated by greedy corporations.

"HD Supply Interiors"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

Pros

The associates work hard and are dedicated!

Cons

Management doesn't care enough about the associates. Management doesn't ask other for input in the decisions that are being made!

Advice to Management

Ask for input from the people doing the work each day!

"Cumbersome, beauracratic, analysis paralysis"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

401K, gym, on-site cafteria, good professional development training programs.

Cons

"cliquish", paralysis by analysis culture, pigeon-hole positions make it difficult to try new things, so many people have to sign off on a project that it can take too long for launch and execution, limited opportunity for growth/promotion.

"Disappointed to see what it has become"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Great customers, what a good group of people to sale to, you learn something new everyday. The product line is very good and the purchasing department is always searching for something new. The field reps and branch managers are some of the best in the industry

Cons

The company is top heavy. There are many directors and managers with high dollar salaries and less experience than the people in the field. Promote within and give your people the ability to advance.

Advice to Management

Get back to the customer service business. People buy from people, face to face, not from an 800 number. Allow all directors and managers to go out in the field with five active accounts and let them service them...they will feel what each field rep experiences on a given day. And to upper management always remember there is always some one better than you are, right
     around the corner. The non-compete is not worth the paper it's written on. Let your customers and field reps talk...and listen to them. Good Luck

"Was outstanding untill you show your true potential"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate1 in Beech Grove, IN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate1 in Beech Grove, IN

Pros

Helps keep you physically active, something new everyday. Good pay and benefits. but too much backstabbing, and holding you down.

Cons

If your GREAT at your job, they get threatend and fire you. Don't uniformly enforce "policies" except to fire you

Advice to Management

Do to all what you do for one. Don't see good work as a threat. listen to your employees carefully

"Awful, Computer system antiquated, resources limited, management scared of their shadow"

Former Employee - Purchasing in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Tampa, FL

Pros

money is decent, company is growing?

Cons

executives have management running scared

"The bad company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just for the overtime hours

Cons

The way of the management run this warehouse so bad that they talked about the problems every single work day but they didn't nothing to fix the problem at all. Also there was so much in favor person that they just give higher job position for their favor persons or friends only. If you were th hard work person and you try to apply for better position they wouldn't let you have it. they tried to keep you at where you worked.

"You'll never succeed here unfortunately"

Current Employee - Special Orders Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Special Orders Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is doing well financially and expanding. Management always works with my schedule to accomodate me. Managers that are good are REALLY good which makes them stand out.

Cons

No matter what your degree and qualifications, the company's management promote/hire who they like, not who is best for the job. More times than I can count, I see very talented co-workers get passed up for promotions/interviews/new job opportunites for outside candidates (reasons always vary). The Company is so big they have a 1/4 of the people that work and the other 3/4 get away with doing nothing. If you don't do your job, the management doesn't train you, they transfer you to another dept. They don't solve problems, just toss them around through a dozen managers and then push them under the carpet. Insurance is pricey.

Advice to Management

Hire within and you will have happier employess. I've seen too many of my co-workers just get disgusted with how protocol has gone out the window. Honestly, so many of us would leave this company if the economy were doing better but unfortunately we are stuck in our "dead end" jobs until then.

"Worst company I ever worked for."

Former Employee - Shipping in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Shipping in Orlando, FL

I worked at HD Supply full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You got paid for working there. Most of the employees were easy to get along with. You got paid for working there.

Cons

Joe De Angelo is letting management run the company in the ground. They play favorites, they have gotten rid of most of all the senior employees to save money, lower management is scared to voice an opinion or take up for their workers. This company will not be in business in 2 years. You can't treat people like they do and remain in business. What goes around comes around.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Joe DeAngelo. How he can stand by and let management treat the employees like they do is irresponsible. If I were an owner in this company I would sell before it is devalued to nothing. If you want to know the truth just talk with all the loyal employees that you got rid of just so you could hire new employees and pay them less. Being loyal serves no purpose anymore. I could name names but that would do no good without someone caring. I do know that everyone working there now would leave in a heartbeat if they could find another job. If the economy ever improves you will have to hire a whole new crew.