HD Supply "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

HD Supply Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 9, 2019

2.7
HD Supply CEO Joe DeAngelo
Joe DeAngelo
Pros
  • "As a former employee, I was able to work with great people, assist in multiple projects on all the product teams(in 48 reviews)

• "Great work life balance, great coworkers(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • "Constant shift with upper management with increase of workload whilst minimal compensation(in 55 reviews)

• "Very little concern about work life balance(in 32 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Credit Associate"

Credit Associate *Credit Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at HD Supply for more than 10 years

Pros

Always felt supported by upper management

Cons

I really didn't feel that there are any cons.

HD Supply2016-01-22

"Mostly good, with a few bumps and challenges"

I have been working at HD Supply

Pros

Challenged with out-of-box thinking, making you versatile and relying on teamwork

Cons

Advice to Management

Clearly define objectives with course of action and more stability in personnel.

HD Supply2019-11-09

"Highly Disfunctional organization"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at HD Supply full-time for more than a year

Pros

Non management staff are very nice and friendly.

Cons

Constant reorganization of various departments. I had 3 different managers in less than 6 months. Was hired under the impression of doing a specific job but no clear roles and responsibilities were ever developed so no clear direction of what my job was. Very toxic environment, upper management would play the blame game regarding simple things. They constantly throw their own people under the bus if mean saving... themselves. The ceo is nice, but he has no idea of how many people hate coming to work every day. The company has started hiring former Home Depot employees and has cause the overall environment to go down hill. The work from home policy is not really actionable. Managers make it difficult for you to work from home. Managers watch what time you come in, what time you take a lunch, how long you take a lunch, ho many breaks you take, regardless of the workload you have. Very little concern about work life balance. Need to leave 30mins early--required you to take personal time, work through your lunch or come in early, even if your workload for the day can accommodate an early departure.

Advice to Management

Trust your employee to do the job you hired them to do.

HD Supply2019-09-27

"Micromanagement hell and completely dysfunctional."

I worked at HD Supply

Pros

My co-workers and team mates. Perhaps misery loves company?

Cons

When I took this position, I took it for the manager and the experience and tenure of upper management. That quickly changed and the company decided to eliminate all of the experienced managers and bring in people who know nothing about the industry. That didn’t work so let’s do it again with some more people. It’s like testing spaghetti against the wall to see if it will stick and instead of trying a different... strand, they get a different brand, cook it and try it again. During my two years of tenure I had five different managers and more changed to upper management than I can even count. Mid-year it is decided to change the account packages and give more accounts to inside sales and give the Field Account Reps, FAR’s some accounts from inside sales. This meant losing half of my package, over 100 accounts, and gaining five from inside sales of which only two are viable accounts. Told the goal moved with the account but no one can show you the math behind this. Given completely unobtainable goals and no support or resources to reach these goals. Management is more concerned about the number of clicks you make in a certain area of Sales Force and pre-cal plans following an ABC format than actually looking at the account and figuring out how you can grow it and be meaningful. Do not add a D to the format or you will be in trouble. One of the items in the ABC format is to review current promotions. Duh! Of course I will do this and educate my customer if relevant sales! Management is required to ride with each sales rep every quarter, not to help the rep close business or overcome obstacles, but to sit back and “evaluate” the rep. Yes, this is exactly what I was told verbatim. Sales reps are required to push promotions, see above with the structured pre-cal plans, but there is no inventory of the product. This creates frustration for the customer because they want to take advantage of the sale but you can’t deliver the product. Serious problems all throughout operations but management has their heads in the sand and according to them, there is no problem. No one is held accountable except the sales rep who is standing in front of the customer having to apologize and is stuck with the goal.

Advice to Management

There needs to be sweeping change from the District Manager on up including in the National Accounts division or this company is going to churn and burn good sales reps. Inventory issues need to be fixed, not swept under the rug. Value the sales team and recognize the issues and stupid practices that are prevalent in this company. Perhaps the CDO should get off the treadmill in his office and see what is truly... happening at this company.

HD Supply2019-08-21

"Horrible experience"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at HD Supply full-time for less than a year

Pros

Regular employees were nice, however, the old timers did take change well.

Cons

The company is split up between several organizations with no collaboration...different ERP's, processes, etc. The upper management creates and allows conflict and is run by 'old timers' who basically think they own the place, however, due to their young age, they must have graduated and it's the only job they know. All organizations are top heavy. The mgmt. treats contractors differently...….not allowed to go to... some functions, does not get all employee emails, etc. Good news is, a contractor can share the same bathroom.

Advice to Management

Advice to the CEO.....remove the top heavy mgmt., hire new blood with fresh processes and goals, and combine the organizations to drive growth. In 2 words....take time to review your Sr. Mgmt and take control.

HD Supply2019-08-07

"A Study In How Never To Manage Teams"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at HD Supply

Pros

Good, professional workers will try hard to make the company a better place in spite of poor mid-level and upper level management.

Cons

It's a great place to see how badly managed people react in a poorly run team environment. If you are writing a book on the subject of "How Not To Manage People and The Mistakes They Make", then this is the place for you; however if you are interested in working in a professional environment and enjoy producing for a company that appreciates its employees then... stay away and read the cons. Management is very... focused on how great they think they are and how elevated they feel they are above their lowly underlings. Very little consideration and respect are given to employees. Working there was like traveling back to a time to the dark ages. Managers will turn a blind eye to other managers poor behavior and will stick together in what can only be described as an "old boy network". Yelling and embarrassing members of the team was the rule of the day. I personally saw most of my top developers leave due to poor and disrespectful treatment. The team was crippled within 3 months by loss of top developers who felt they were treated so poorly by upper management that finding another place to work was their only alternative.

Advice to Management

Fixing all that is wrong with HDSupply's management needs to come from within. If you see a manager abusing a worker, say something! BE A LEADER! Learn how to treat people with respect while encouraging them to be better. Learn how to lead by example. Get rid of your ego. Try to make your team a success and not have the team make you a success. Be a leader!

HD Supply2019-07-15

"Horrible plant manager"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Northlake, IL

I worked at HD Supply full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits and that is about it

Cons

No work life balance for the shipping department. They say they are one team but shipping works 12-14 hours a day while every other department works 8-9. Upper management hides in their offices all day. Never come out to the warehouse floor.

Advice to Management

Get on the floor and see what goes on in a day.

HD Supply2019-06-14

"Installation Project Manager"

Current Employee - Install Project Manager in Henderson, NV

I have been working at HD Supply full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

i work out of my house and cover three markets, they give me the ability to set my schedule and grow the business in each market.

Cons

Current management is not on track for being a true General contractor and struggle with upper management decisions to move and grow the business.

Advice to Management

We need to improve our abilities to grow with the technology out in front of us and become a better one stop shop.

HD Supply2019-05-07

"HD will reap what they sow"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at HD Supply full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working remote, working with customers and the pay

Cons

not enough space to get all points. many good people were let go, new leadership is horrible and could care less how they ruin people's lively hood. Exceeding your goals does not ensure one his/her job. hd is clueless their distribution system is horrible, they are overpriced to all their competitors, they will buy from competitor stores to get a product because hd cant get it. upper management is out for themselves... and have no idea what a team is. the field reps for MRO for some reason people think they defecate gold and get away with so much! Leaders they are abusive and toxic to the employees, they will get rid of one before paying out their bonuses. they will realign your territory to not pay bonuses, they create lies to cover up their faults. They scream health credits and programs of course so they can collect $$ as a company benefits kickbacks but serve garbage on the bogus events they offer. There isnt any organization or truth to the company, The customers are seeing how HD has become a bad name they are not for the customer, always have to apologize to the customers because hd doesn't know the difference between their personal orifice to a hole in the ground. They did get to fire enough people so they could save JD from a lawsuit from the shareholders by tweaking their numbers for up and coming reports. Shame on HD all day Shame!

Advice to Management

Close the doors, selling the company wont fix it its like a dilapidated building you have to demolish it no renovating will fix this company! Joe D go home you have made your millions while crushing many people's lives.

HD Supply2019-05-20

"Loved the Job Not Upper Management"

Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HD Supply for more than a year

Pros

Great company. The internal resources are very helpful to the outside sales position. Customers are loyal and like how HD operates for the most part . Easy sell.

Cons

Upper management use micro management tactics that end up pushing out high achieving sales staff. Unnecessary tasks bog down the sales team.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at upper management. specifically segment managers. Be careful who you promote. Make sure youre hiring managers that know how to manage seasoned and entry level sales people.

HD Supply2018-12-01