HDR "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

HDR Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 16, 2020

4.0
HDR Chairman and CEO Eric L. Keen (no image)
Eric L. Keen
Pros
  • "Truly employee owned with ability to purchase shares that have been steadily increasing in value(in 79 reviews)

• "Really great people to work with(in 35 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Exellent company in many ways."

I have been working at HDR

Pros

Excellent company with design focus on transportation, water/wastewater, energy and architecture. Very good healthcare and benefits. Friendly atmosphere with a real emphasis on vitality and work/life balance. Excellent company functions (summer picnic and Christmas party) for family involvement.

Cons

Significant matrix structure with heavy middle- and upper-management involvement. Decision making requires significant consensus building and often takes longer than it should. Sometimes decisions appear bottlenecked in middle-management, with little staff visibility by upper management.

Advice to Management

Streamline the matrix structure.

HDR2016-10-06
  2. "Good Place to Work when there is Work"

Current Employee - Cadd Technician

I have been working at HDR full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

challenging work, good company overall, good place to work if there is enough work.

Cons

Utilization problems because they continue to hire even though there isn't enough work, and upper management looks at numbers and budget and that's about it. Very flexible with hours, when you can work. The culture is pretty decent.

HDR2020-01-16

"Accounting is the red headed step child"

Former Employee - Project Accountant in Tampa, FL

I worked at HDR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee Owned Location Good Company as a whole - not office specific

Cons

Office Specific: High school type drama Micro management Old mindset in upper management Old stigmas seem to stick Favoritism towards long time employees

Advice to Management

Used to enjoy my job, atmosphere turned volatile. Wants to sweep issues under the rug and look at situations through bias glasses. Not overly impressed with how corporate HR and Tampa upper management dropped the ball on multiple occasions.

HDR2019-10-24

"Good company, bad local office."

Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at HDR full-time

Pros

Local presence nearly everywhere with offices throughout the U.S. One of the better IT departments I have experienced. Some truly good expertise in all disciplines. Great marketing staff with a can-do attitude. Holiday party free for you and your spouse, summer picnic for the whole family.

Cons

Unfortunately for me, I had a bad experience in my local office. An underlying culture of fear permeated throughout. I was part of the senior management, and could not believe watching my senior colleagues get berated by upper management in front of everyone. I was generally boxed out and ignored due to my differing views from the "approved" ways of doing business. I had to give a low rating due to the horrible experiences that I endured. But it appeared to me that other offices were good environments to work in from my travels and dealings with my colleagues in those offices.

Advice to Management

Clean house in your known problem offices, or talent will continue to leave.

HDR2018-10-24

"Experience depends on your section, office, and supervisor"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at HDR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company with decent benefits, great resources, and experts from across the country. You get to work on some of the biggest projects in your region, as well as across the country or the world. You are encouraged to join professional organizations and this is 100% paid. You'll be exposed to a variety of interdisciplinary projects in different geographical areas - it usually never gets boring. The company has lots of resources, and will get you the latest software that you need to do your job. Being employee owned was a plus. I took advantage of this and grew my 401k by investing in the company. The company does really well every year.

Cons

Raises were not transparent. Employees with less experience could make more than people with significantly more experience, and there are clear favorites in each office and section. Everyone who is not a favorite may be treated as expendable. The NY/NJ offices are treated like a money making machine. Upper management doesn't treat employees as people. You are given unreasonable utilization goals and pressure to stay utilized. If you need to go to a conference, you either make up all the hours or work extra hours during the week. it is unpaid, even though managers will boast "paid training" for employees. Some project managers have absolutely no technical knowledge and more junior level staff must teach them. There is very little opportunity to grow in the organization. You are treated as a junior engineer for the first 6 years of your career. Even when you get your PE license, you are still a junior engineer. You can ask for opportunities to manage projects, but you won't get them because these just go to upper/middle management's favorite staff. Once you do manage to reach mid-level engineer, the senior project managers and section managers still micromanage your projects. On the section manager side, they typically don't focus on their employees. Mid and senior management is more focused on client development, marketing, and micromanaging your projects for their clients. No one cares about developing staff. If you start out your career here, you will suffer because they'll always see you as a junior engineer. Costs for licensure, any PE review classes, etc. are not paid. The project management software was very slow and inefficient.

Advice to Management

Focus on staff development and promoting staff internally instead of hiring outside.

HDR2018-10-05

"Project Manager"

Project Manager

I worked at HDR for more than 10 years

Pros

Talented design professionals and large, interesting projects.

Cons

Upper management at local office is out of touch with what happens on the floor. It's inexplicable how some individuals can be promoted up the career ladder. If you're looking for an employer that values long-time employees, you'd best look elsewhere. Employee/employer loyalty is definitely lacking.

Advice to Management

Value your employees........they're the reason you're there.

HDR2017-02-11
  7. "Upper Management"

Current Employee - Power Engineer in Billings, MO

I have been working at HDR full-time

Pros

Local management at the lower level is great, it's a team oriented environment great for learning.

Cons

Upper management often accepts too much work, lying about the companies capabilities and availability to do the work. Then they expect the lower people to drop their priority work to get it done I had a coworker negotiate for a raise, which was to be given at the end of the year, but bonuses throughout the year would make up for the extra income she was missing out on for 6 months. Well upper management lied about the bonuses, saying after the fact that the company policies say they can't promise bonuses, and went back on their word after looking at the success of the entire section of the company, saying we didn't meet our goals. Well, our group blew our goals out of the water, and management lied about the bonuses (but I'm sure upper managment will get sizable bonuses this year still)

Advice to Management

Don't play games with your clients, and definitely don't play games with your employees. The goal is to do good work in a good atmosphere, not to take advantage of people.

HDR2016-12-02
  8. "Great Company"

I have been working at HDR full-time

Pros

HDR allows for creativity and flexibility. The culture is great and employees are smart, fun, and active in and out of the workplace.

Cons

It is hard to think of a poor thing to say about this company. HDR is a great place to work and even though we are growing, upper management cares about everyone.

Advice to Management

Thanks for allowing your employees to further their careers and listening to our advice through the online portal. HDR is a great company and I am excited to see what the future brings.

HDR2016-11-14

"Project Accountant"

Current Employee - Project Accountant

I have been working at HDR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee owned and decent benefits. Above average salary. The work is easy and Corporate is helpful in some areas.

Cons

The lack of communication is horrible. Managers do not back up the accounting group with PMs. PAs are treated like the red headed step child. Try to run a lean department but everyone is way overloaded and work can't be done thoroughly. Upper management allows favorites have flexibility in schedules but not others. Manager of accounting doesn't even know how to operate new accounting system.

Advice to Management

Be consistent and support your staff when they need it. Reward employees for hard work. Hire more people. Get managers who know how to do their job!

HDR2016-11-04
  10. "A/E/C Firm"

I worked at HDR full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits were great. Working there could be very relaxed and fun at times.

Cons

Upper Management is in a bit of chaos at the moment and the office needs a real "Captain" to steer the office in the right direction.

HDR2016-07-22