HEI Hotels & Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 30, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Anthony Rutledge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great perks: free lunch on Monday's, hotel discounts, good benefits, etc (in 12 reviews)

• The company is growing nationally with options to work in or transfer to all the main urban centers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • High work demand which can sometimes affect work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Relocation might be necessary for advancement into upper Management (in 12 reviews)

1. "Grea opportunities!"

Current Employee - Front Desk in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HEI Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working with our team. The managers are super helpful and will help you achieve what you want in your career. Even though it's busy they will take the time meet with you and figure out your future plans. I wish we had more staff sometimes but the people who do work here are awesome!

Cons

Just wish we had more staff. Benefits cost is higher than the last place I worked but that seems pretty normal these days

Advice to Management

The managers are helpful and supportive! Thank you!

2. "Assistant Front Desk Manager"

I have been working at HEI Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Easy to move up within company, lots of turnover, company is growing

Cons

Shortstaffed, company doesnt care about employees as much as company itself

"HEI is not a hospitality company"

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at HEI Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Subsidized orca pass. 50% off monthly pass.

Cons

HEI Hotels is clearly not a hospitality company, but a real estate company and it shows. There is so much great opportunity to develop associates and improve scores, but due to the overhead of HEI it causes everyone to lose focus. Just ask other GM’s about HEI and they will tell you they are known as real estate and not hospitality.

Associates never get trained properly because we were always understaffed and then thrown to the wolves.

If you were part of the inner circle of the Executive team then this is a great place for you to work since they will always back you up....until you get on their bad side and they push you out. Mainly due to their pettiness.

There is such a high turnover rate at this hotel and I have seen multiple managers just up and quit without notice. Honestly i would not be surprised if there was a strike. They even train their managers on how to spy and see the signs of employees possibly wanting to strike.

They work their assistant managers to the death - required to work 10 hour days and make a quota of hours every week just to make salary. They may offer you a higher wage but overtime eligible manager status is NOT WORTH IT!

They will sell you on the dream that this is an amazing place to work but within a few weeks you will see it is not.

Advice to Management

Marriott should stripHEI of this flag.

"Management does not value employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great coworkers, they make you feel right at home no matter what is going on that day.

Cons

-They do not value long term employment, obviously, as they lie to most of their hires that they will be full time, and then regularly schedule you 15 hours or less a week.
    -I was lied to about being full-time, which I really needed at the time, and it was flipped on me for a "change in availability", which had already been approved for full time status. You don't get happy employees who want to come to work when you lie to them and constantly look for opportunities to throw them under the bus for your mistakes.
    -There is no fore-planning for anything, and a serious lack of communication. Guest satisfaction suffers for it.
    -There is a lack of resources for one to do their job well, and even after multiple suggestions you will be ignored.

Advice to Management

When you do mass hiring in the summer, you should let people know they are only seasonal, and part time. You mess with people's livelihood when you've convinced them they will be working 32-40 hours a week, and in reality its 10 hours a week.
    The majority of employees have awesome and helpful work experience, stop treating them like they are on the first day of their first ever job.

"THE WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at HEI Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot express how there is literally NOTHING good about this place.

Cons

I worked here for 9 months and it was the WORST place I have ever EVER worked! The employee parking is in a garage you have to pay $50/month and is over three blocks from the hotel, healthcare they offer is awful, and management blames everything on the lower tier of employees. Sales constantly messes up reservations and leaves it to the front desk to fix and then blames them when it isn't handled as it should have been. Upper management just points fingers at anyone but themselves, and promotes lazy unqualified people - you will move up here if you do an awful job and are extremely unprofessional. It says a lot about a company if people would rather LEAVE than TAKE a promotion anyways!

Advice to Management

How about instead of blaming the bad GSS scores on your employees figure out WHY those scores are the way they are. Is it the employee or maybe the guest is upset about something with the way the hotel is run?

"Nepotism high. Management terrible. HEI Horrible company. I wish they had a zero star option"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HEI Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Word is starting to get around at work about glassdoor, and you are bound to see MORE negative reviews, and their Glassdoor rating plummet. That's the only PRO there is.

Additionally, go through all the fake good reviews, and read all the negative reviews. Those are the real ones. All of the front of house employees, are treated like garbage. It's time for a strike.

Cons

A) Management blames everything on hourly associates and does not take responsibility for anything. (this is well known at work)
    B) All of management is in cahoots with each other. Our operations has all their friends and family in high level positions (this is well known at our locations, and seems to be a problem with HEI in general)
    C) This is not a hospitality company, this is a real estate company (not well known at work)
    D) The health insurance is terrible AND expensive
    E) There are no benefits to working here. The only benefit is to STAY AWAY
    F) You are hired for full time, but across all departments you will be working less than 30 hours sometimes.
    G) Highest turnover ever. Someone gets hired, and they quit just a few months later, sometimes a couple months later. (that's how horrible you are treated there).
    H) THE BUDGET IS INSANE. We can not do our job when the budget is so tight they won't even comp a free night. This hotel location they make MILLIONS. I have seen the books myself. tens of millions of dollars a year. If guests found out how much profit they were making, they wouldn't even stay here.

Advice to Management

Like the other reviews say on here. GET OUT. Do humanity a favor and leave.

"DO NOT WORK HERE. All positive reviews are faked by directors and HEI"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at HEI Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PROS? None. Quitting that was the best thing.

Cons

Upper management, middle management, HEI it self. Health insurance makes you pay out of pocket until benefits kick in. Not allowed to even eat there. Operations a complete mess. HEI in general is a horrible company. Directors and execs at this property blame everything on the hourly associates.

Advice to Management

QUIT!!

"Do NOT step foot in Bellevue location. STAY AWAY"

Current Employee - Server in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Server in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HEI Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none. This is the worst company to work for.

Cons

1. All management is related, or friends. The reason for this is because upper management is trying to protect themselves. If Marriott found out what was going on, they would be stripped of their name.
    2. The turnover is absolutely insane. Every department is short handed and half the hotel is looking for a new job. What does this tell you?
    3. If you do something that causes for termination, you are promoted instead. Why? Because most likely the people that need to be terminated are related, married, or friends with a director, or operations.
    4. The medical is extremely expensive, and the coverage is terrible.
    5. There are no benefits to working for this corporation or at this property.

Advice to Management

Please quit, so someone else can take over.

9. "Very accommodating employer"

Current Employee - Cook in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Cook in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at HEI Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They accommodate with students. They work with you (if you have another job). Management establishes growth development and wants to see you succeed.

Cons

Better communication between management team itself. Management does not mesh well together like staff and personal do.

Advice to Management

Set aside your pride and pay it forward by helping out.

10. "Every Manager Should Go Through an HEI Property (Gauntlet)!"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Outlets Manager in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Outlets Manager in Glendale, CA

I worked at HEI Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent business strategies for the most part. Well managed properties. Benefits are comparable to other hotel companies, not the best but not bad. As long as you follow the directives, the parent company allows you to try different ideas and to grow as a manager and individual. This company is a definite must for growing managers in the business. It is tough but great structure.

Cons

Nothing glaringly bad to say. Opportunity to improve yes. Needs to allow for a bit more support staff. Supervisors and assistant managers are imperative for so many reasons. You need to give your managers for more vacation/days off, support staff to guide department in department and hotel goals, and to lighten workload.

Advice to Management

Needs to allow for a bit more support staff. Supervisors and assistant managers are imperative for so many reasons. You need to give your managers for more vacation/days off, support staff to guide department in department and hotel goals, and to lighten workload. Pay should be more competitive. There should be compensation based on job analysis and not just title. People tend to wear more hats than what corporate may know.