KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

HEI Hotels & Resorts Reviews

Updated Sep 15, 2021

Found 501 of over 507 reviews

3.9
HEI Hotels & Resorts CEO Anthony Rutledge  (no image)
Anthony Rutledge
Pros
  • "Great company to learn and grow(in 17 reviews)

• "Meet some great co-workers, free lunch at work, property in a nice location(in 15 reviews)

• Cons
  • "As with many hotels, it can be difficult to juggle so many stakeholders but this is a modest con(in 31 reviews)

• "Poor upper management and leadership(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of HEI Hotels & Resorts and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for

Jun 17, 2021 - DORM
      Business Outlook

Pros

I feel that I am really appreciated in what I do. HEI works hard to create a great environment to work in.

Cons

I don't have any cons at this time.

1 person found this review helpful

HEI Hotels & Resorts Response

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience with us and with others who are researching employment with HEI! It is a huge compliment when our employees enjoy their experience so much that they take the time to review our company and recommend it to others. We truly appreciate your tenure with the company, and we're thrilled to have you on our team.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Sales & Marketing Department

Sep 15, 2021 - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Marriott Benefits -Lazy team -Cool GM -Employee recognition

Cons

-Blind leading the blind in every department -The employee break room needed a makeover for how hard the employees worked, especially boh -

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Westin La Paloma Resort, Spa & Country Club is the best place in Tucson ,Az to work in hospitality

Jun 11, 2021 - Director of Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am home grown coming up thru the ranks at this property. Before HEI came into manage the property, and certainly since their arrival here, I've been afforded countless opportunities for growth at the property. I have been allowed to go on Task Force to assist other HEI properties thru transitions / new build processes, and have been allowed to become certified in many different training capacities as well. The opportunities are better than I could ever of imagined.

Cons

I wish only that there were more hours in the day, and more days in the week to fully be able to take care of the company's needs, the expectations of of our guests, members and associates, and maintain only a slightly better personal work / life balance. :) I still love being here after all these years, and am very grateful for the opportunity.

Corporate Talent Acquisition Team

We are thrilled to read these comments! Thank you for such kind feedback and supporting us with all of our various projects and task force needs. We look forward to having you continue to grow with HEI.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Overall, an excellent employer

Jun 14, 2021 - Human Resources
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, I think HEI is excellent; giving five stars for overall work experience. I very much enjoy working for HEI. I feel like I have opportunity for growth, I love that we have a weekly HR call where we cover, reinforce, or learn new topics, I feel like I have resources to lean on if I have questions, employee recognition is a key value which I appreciate, I believe in our DEI initiatives, and I believe in the new vision outlined by Anthony Rutledge. I hope it comes into fruition.

Cons

There is room for improvement. While health insurance benefits are good, vacation and paid time off leaves much to be desired. In addition, more feedback on performance would be good; I often feel like I'm on an island. Even though work-life balance is a value at HEI, it is not often reflected in its policies--official or unofficial (i.e. paid time off, mandatory 50 hour work weeks, etc). Hospitality will need to re-evaluate as recruiting becomes harder and harder and I guarantee work-life balance will be key.

Corporate Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for your well thought out and thorough feedback on our organization. Your passion and commitment to our culture is so crucial in the HR function and we appreciate you living that for your associates. Your feedback for improvement is extremely helpful to us. We continuously review our benefits packages, including PTO. This information has been passed along to our Director of Benefits to look into further so that we can ensure we are remaining competitive in the industry. Your time outside of HEI is equally as important as the time you spend with us. Thank you for all you do!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

An Ever Evolving Culture is Key

Jun 9, 2021 - Sales and Marketing in Norwalk, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

A consistent approach to always putting people first, even in the worst of times, there is a recognition of talent, talent at HEI play a crucial role in building a community culture. A dedicated focus to diversity and so many other genuine values driven initiatives help make the difference. From a business perspective, the same holds true; the company's ability to be nimble, and innovative has always been one of the major attractions of HEI for potential talent and home grown talent, coupled with an amazing track record of personal growth for said talent. Many of HEI's Senior Leaders have grown with the organization, as an example.

Cons

None to speak of, HEI continues to drive results and culture by living the values daily!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Definitely a great company to work for!

Jun 9, 2021 - Director of Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Incredibly smart leaders you could learn TONS from. *Growth opportunity within resort and big box hotel options. *Hotels virtually in every main city in the nation.

Cons

*You have to wait 1 full year of work to accumulate PTO. *401K plan matching could be better (pre-pandemic).

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

If the Shoe Fits... and it does!

Jun 9, 2021 - Area Director of Revenue Management in Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

What I love most about working with HEI is the support I receive, the open conversations, and the structured framework around expectations and daily rhythms. When I mention structure however, it is a flexible structure that responds and is nimble when needed to address the current marketplace.

Cons

Working within a structured framework, albeit nimble when needed, is not for everyone. My personality works best within specific daily rhythms, and defined expectations and goals. But for those who like their environments less defined, you will need to adapt to truly be happy with HEI. That being said, I've seen this company survive and be successful throughout the pandemic while adjusting their framework of expectations to be reasonable, but still maintaining that baseline structure that made it successful pre pandemic.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Know your business

Aug 27, 2021 - Food and Beverage Manager in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

ability to move up if you're willing to relocate

Cons

tight labor budget. understand your staffing needs and you'll be fine. explain any variances. hours are long.

HEI Hotels & Resorts Response

Thank you so much for giving us a 5 Star Review! We take a lot of pride in our internal growth and development. In addition, we appreciate your honest feedback about some challenges you faced during your time with HEI. We are always evaluating and improving our different tools and practices, so we will continue to address any changes that need to be made.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great growth

Aug 23, 2021 - Human Resources
      Business Outlook

Pros

Looking to invest in growing its employees

Cons

The company has done a tremendous job putting resources in to becoming competitive salary wise, not a current con but may have been in the past

HEI Hotels & Resorts Response

Thank you for your service with HEI and for taking the time to share this review! HEI definitely takes pride in developing our employees. We always strive to provide our associates with all of the training and tools that they need to succeed and grow within their careers. This of course includes appropriate compensation, which we have dedicated a lot of time and research into as well. We will continue to dedicate these resources into making sure that every single employee is compensated fairly. Thank you again for your review!

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Has the opportunity to be great but falls short

Aug 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I think the direction that Anthony Rutledge is trying to take the company is a positive one. Given the changes in the employment environment this feels like it aligns with those trends. Summer Fridays.

Cons

The benefits fall short. This is the first company I have had to pay for my own short and long term disability. I also find that 5 days of sick time during an pandemic and with the long-term changes coming to the workplace when it comes to going to work sick, this has a lot to be desired. My previous company gave unlimited sick days as a result of the pandemic and that sick time was already generous. I find the tuition reimbursement to be laughable. I am glad they brought it back, but the amount doesn’t even cover professional certification, let alone one undergrad course. The vacation time needs to be updated to reflect the current trends in the market as a result of millennials. Where you don’t have to wait a year for vacation time. The hours seem arduous given most corporate type jobs are 9-5, and you work extra as needed. I could accomplish the same amount of work in less time. I have experienced upper management yelling and Fbombing in a conference call. Which I personally find completely unacceptable from someone that is in a leadership position. Move away from micromanaging and move into empowering and trusting your employees. Any ideas I have brought to my superior have been shot down. No org chart and no real training on how each department and team interconnects. To much of a siloed approach. I’m treated as though this is my first job out of school, but I have over 10 years experience, along with an MBA and professional certifications.

1 person found this review helpful

HEI Hotels & Resorts Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and insight regarding your experience at HEI. Although it is disappointing to hear that we have fallen short of your expectations, it is helpful to hear honest feedback that we may need to evaluate further. I have provided our human resources leaders with the information you shared so we can address some of your concerns.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 501 Reviews