HEILBrice Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hal Brice & Joni Brice

1. "Great Company with a Great Vibe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at HEILBrice Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My time with HEILBrice was valuable and overall improved my career. They are a top-tier Advertising Agency, with employees that match their level of success. The culture within the company is laid back, you can even bring your dog to work. During your day to day, you’re expected to be very proactive and will thrive if you communicate with your co-workers whom are very helpful and professional. Management listens to you, respects your expertise and values your opinions. They are also not afraid to give you direction and feedback on your performance, which is extremely valuable in helping you grow. They use the latest and greatest communication tools that make it easy to work and feel part of a team. I wish my employment at HEILBrice could have been longer. I highly recommend HEILBrice to anyone looking to work with the best and improve their career development.

Cons

No real cons, although I strongly suggest being motivated and a self-starter.

""If your mentors only tell you that you are awesome, it’s time to find other mentors.”"

Pros

Pro
    Upon reading some of the reviews, it prompted me to share my perspective of my time at Heil-Brice. While I understand that each person may have a different experience, I fully believe that some of the antagonistic responses were highly exaggerated and a few downright incorrect (they do not hold weekly prayer meetings!)

Advertising is a tough field and it is deadline oriented. It requires a tough skin, flexibility, creativity, forward thinking and above all teamwork.

Heil-Brice had the perfect blend of culture and challenge. It was fast paced, dynamic, complicated, interesting and unique. During my career journey, I worked for Hal and August (Joni), three times in three different roles. To this day I consider them two of my greatest mentors and visit them annually. I have successfully run my own business in Michigan in part due to the many lessons learned during this time.

I have considered them a dynamic duo, they are visionaries, leaders and worked hard to follow their dreams.

The expectations were high; solid work ethic, attention to detail, accountability and a passion for learning. These things were a must. Consequently, they are also the things that help you be successful in any area of your life.

I was paid a fair wage for the experience and services I provided during each of my three roles. But what I gained was worth far more than any amount of money. I was also taught that if I wanted more, showcase how you bring value to the team and company. I may not have seen it in my early years, but everything I earned has led me to the success I have today both personally and professionally. They saw things in me that I had not yet seen in myself.

They fostered a culture that was creative and fun. Both kid and pet friendly. There was never a dull moment at the office.

They consider family the most important thing, this was extremely evident when three ladies in the small office became pregnant at the same time. They were caring and flexible.

They foster the idea that giving back is just as important as making a profit. This was evident in the many areas they gave to and with Augusts’ (Joni) passion for making the world a better place. Whether it was children or the effects of technology on our health to the many things that ignited her passion, it was her voice, her passion that inspired everyone around her. It didn’t matter if you shared the same opinion or not. It was the passion that energized the room.

What I learned the most over the years is to work with people that share your values. That is the key ingredient. I share this notion during my industry speaking engagements and employ the concept in my business.

Some of the takeaways over the years with Heil Brice.

-If you want to be important, then you must first think you are.
    -Be confident not arrogant.
    -Be authentic
    -Never stop working to be successful. It does not come overnight or handed to you on a silver platter, it is hard work plain and simple.
    -Be mindful of your actions.
    -Have a strong sense of accountability
    -Share credit, take responsibility
    -Always learn
    -Mistakes are opportunities for growth
    -Make time for your family and friends. Work hard, play hard.
    -Sometimes you have to do what you like least to get what you want most.
    -Give back.

Cons

I don't see this as a con, but you must have a solid work ethic, be flexible and a passion to always improve. Expectations are high, but you will not achieve success without high expectations. You can be ordinary or extraordinary.

"Fun, hip, hard working agency."

I have been working at HEILBrice Advertising full-time

Pros

HEILBrice is a fun, hip, dog-friendly agency that is packed full of talented and hard working employees. This agency provides great opportunity and mentorship to grow professionally. It's a small enough agency where you feel like part of a family but a big enough agency where the business can take on multiple clients and employ professionals in all aspects of advertising.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard, this agency is always attracting new clients and that means lots of work, but if you want to be successful in this field you know that hard work is a requirement!

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating a successful, fun and family oriented atmosphere to work in every single day.

"Company has potential but there are roadblocks"

Former Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA

I worked at HEILBrice Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool-looking office, young staff, creative environment

Cons

The husband-and-wife CEOs are far too involved in every aspect of the business and their opinions and recommendations regarding marking strategy and creative direction are often off-target, especially since they are not involved in the brands the company works on. The office is far from restaurants.

Advice to Management

Let your staff members maximize their talents to help your company grow. Give bonuses and/or better salaries for hard work and proven results. Don't poke fun of employees and micromanage them.

6. "Work hard.....Play hard"

Former Employee - Creative Department in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Department in Irvine, CA

I worked at HEILBrice Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Mentors with lots of support and opportunity if you're ready for it. This is a fun company who is way ahead of it's time. The owners truly care about their employees and Doris in HR goes out of her way to resolve any benefit issues. This is a first class company who I was very lucky to land a job with.

Cons

You have to work hard, but you should if you want this to be your career. Most people don't make it past the first two years, but if they do, they're here for life!

Advice to Management

Keep it up, stay progressive and continue making your employees feel like they are part of the HeilBrice family!

7. "Satisfying work with a quality organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

No job is 100% perfect, but my experience at HEILBrice has been nothing short of a solid professional and personal move. It is probably worth mentioning that this is actually my second stint at HEILBrice after an internship with them a few years ago (if that tells you anything), and as soon as I came back I suddenly realized all that I had taken for granted as an intern here, and, ultimately, came to miss as an employee at other companies, that is: a pervasive familial atmosphere, extremely friendly coworkers (within hours of meeting them I already felt like I was a "part of the gang"), and a culture of success and encouragement where everyone's opinion is equal---really! In sum, a great place to work.

Cons

Sometimes the intimate atmosphere can mean occasional overlap in responsibilities (which may or may not be a good thing), but for me this has been good because I have been able to acquire a more detailed understanding of the ENTIRE marketing process, which I will appreciate more and more as I move up the ladder. Also, if for whatever reason you don't get along with one of your coworkers, that still represents a pretty hefty ratio of people you're not crazy about at work.

"HEILBrice is a great place to work and the employees are a great bunch of people. Fun office environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

Plenty of room for growth within the agency. If you are an honest, hard working individual you will be rewarded with promotions. The agency has a great team working very well together for their clients best interest. The company takes care of their employees expenses incurred for travel, work, etc. They offer their employees a few weeks off and are very respectful of family time.

Cons

Not many food choices around the office, need to go a few miles out to find good food. But with the in-house gourmet chef, it makes up for the lack of restaurants in the immediate area. Small office feeling can be tough if you aren't getting along with someone in the office.

Advice to Management

Benefits are the one issue I see, but its very hard for a small agency to offer the greatest benefits. There might be ways to make up for what you can't provide by giving employees a work from home day or something of the sort.

9. "Nice People and Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Irvine, CA

Pros

The people in the office are friendly. Everyone in the office works together for the success of the company. We have good relationships past and present with both clients and vendors alike.
     It is a fun and friendly work environment. The guests coming into the company often comment on the hip and fun atmosphere of the company.
    The management is understanding of personal appts etc and we often make good food in our 5 star kitchen. Overall it is a nice place to be!

Cons

The environment is high stress at times but also high energy. The company moved which makes it a longer commute for me.

10. "it still is a beautiful life."

Current Employee - Vice-President, Operations in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Vice-President, Operations in Irvine, CA

Pros

Great work is produced through sheer hard work and collaborative efforts by everyone at the agency- including the vendors that we have carefully selected to partner with. The open door policy which the agency adopted from it's humble beginnings to the powerhouse it has become remains true to this day. One can freely walk-in to anyone's office to talk about a project or savor the latest concoction coming from the full service kitchen.

Cons

Lack of time to do everything is a fact of life for everyone working in the ad industry. Anyone who comes up with a solution to this problem will achieve overnight stardom faster than Jason Russell. Until then- we rely on our team mates who are all willing to walk the extra mile.

Advice to Management

SOLVANG! Let's indulge everyone to the peace and tranquility of the ranch to celebrate our success and our strength as a team. As the saying goes, all work and no play..........

"Gave a lot to get very little"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA

Pros

If you like a 'family' atmosphere, this place has that. It's run by a family, but that very rarely translates to feeling like you are part of a family. It's more a feeling of being watched and them just waiting for a reason to chew you out.

Cons

Completely led by a ready, fire, aim mentality. Strategy and process are back burned by profit and gain. I constantly felt like we were doing wrong by our clients, but was terrified to speak up.

Advice to Management

Please start being more gracious, merciful and respecting of your team as people and as sources of ideas. Stop treating people as objects and as more than just a replaceable resource. HEILBrice is not a BIG ad agency and hardly any of the people I know who have worked for you wouldn't return if they had the chance, no matter if they magically started making a reasonable salary from you.