KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY

Engaged Employer

HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY

Add a Review

HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Employee Reviews about "herschel"

Updated Feb 26, 2021

Found 6 of over 85 reviews

3.6
HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Managing Directors Lyndon & Jamie Cormack
Lyndon & Jamie Cormack

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "very low salary compare to the amount of work.(in 6 reviews)
  • "side with lots of homeless people, drug users, needles, garbage etc etc to get from where my bus drops me off.....not a pleasant walk to & from Transit each day....really need a car to get here but lack of parking is a problem.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Widely known the pay is bad.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Disorganization, lack of clarity and communication(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "herschel"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee

Hard to imagine working anywhere else

Jul 9, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The company culture is amazing. I can only speak to my experience, but both my department and teams outside of my own were extremely welcoming and helpful from the very beginning. - Herschel cultivates an extremely collaborative environment. You're given a seat at the table, so to speak, and have an ability to effect change at the company. - You can feel the passion from the founders of the business and you'll find them walking around the office, sitting in on meetings, and greeting you as they pass by. They're personable and easy to approach. - There is a high-calibre talent at head office across all departments. Many employees possess a wealth of knowledge and experience from other top tier firms and global companies, At the same time, no one takes themselves too seriously. - Comprehensive health insurance plan - Friday afternoon drinks at the office

Cons

- Although the Herschel brand is renowned and far-reaching, teams are probably much leaner than most people expect—sometimes there is a lack of structure. - Remuneration could be more competitive and salary increases and promotions are inconsistent and often delayed. - There needs to be a healthier and stronger HR presence. - Lack of employee parking spots—If you drive to work, you either have to get to the office extremely early to snag one or be forced to pay unless you want to try to find a free parking spot and move your car every hour.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Lots of potential

Feb 26, 2021 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team and people are Herschel are great and really make the company a special place to work for. The product and growth has a lot of potential for the future.

Cons

Lack of communication on how the company is performing with the team and visibility on growth targets. Lack of diversity in voices at the top level. Lack of interest in hearing opinions from members of the team outside a select few.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0

Worst Company To Work With

Jul 7, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I for the life of me cant think of one positive thing to say about Herschel supply. Unless you value getting free snacks and and a employee discount on over rated bags that all look the same.

Cons

There is so many things wrong on how this company operates but below are just a few: 1. Training is a joke with no structure what so ever. There was no training manual to reference cause it was all out to date. For me my trainer it depending on how stress she was that day for me to ask questions without getting talked down to & belittled or snapping. This seems to be accepted form of behavior cause the person has done the same to management and they don't do anything. 2. Understaffed: Which as causes employees to be overworked and have to put in a lot of overtime. 3. For the amount of work expected the pay does not match. 4. Lack of innovation on improving processes. Everything takes 10 times longer than it should. This could be a contributed to the fact no one in the department had been there longer than a year and just has accepted the inefficiencies.

8 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fast-paced, hard-working, fun & friendly!

Sep 16, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Herschel is an amazing place to work. Everyone who works here loves the brand and loves coming to work everyday. It is dynamic, exciting, collaborative, and positive! The office is in a great space and the kitchen is filled with snacks (bagels!), coffee, and juice! There are company softball and soccer teams, and people frequently spend time together outside of work hours. The office's location in Railtown allows you to step out to Gastown or Chinatown for lunch or after-work drinks. Love working here!

Cons

No cons - I really enjoy working here.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Once in a lifetime place to be.

Oct 24, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I don't understand some of the negative views of herschel supply here. It may be due to the lack of previous experience in other workplaces. But what I would say, from working in many environments is that this is by far the most fast-paced, challenging, engaging, and dynamic place you can be to hone your skill set and grow your career. Major pro is the fact that no two days will ever be the same, if you are looking for a 9-5 punch-in punch-out type of environment, this is not it. That I can say with certainty. The entrepreneurial spirit of the place is infectious. If you have something you can contribute, you are challenged to take the first steps and drive the project forward. I rarely have ever head "thats not your job". You have the opportunity to own your role and define it as the company continuously grows (fast). This means doors open up within the company and in new markets they enter. Two passionate founders means this place has a family business feeling that makes you feel like you are a part of something bigger than a corporate space.

Cons

Fast moving environments tend to come with process and communication issues. This is a symptom of the explosive growth, but with each month things tend to tighten up, trying to catch up to global growth. As a start-up type of environment, with it comes a lack of HR and leadership type of programs or training you many get from some larger organizations. As some others have stated, parking is tight and I would recommend buying a bike if you don't want to be circling the block for half an hour.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee

Fun place to work, needs improvement

Oct 3, 2016 - Product Developer in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team at herschel is a great group of people. A lot of fun young, inspiring co-workers.

Cons

Equal pay is hard to come by. They have a ways to go in terms of figuring out compensation.

4 people found this review helpful

HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Response

Human Resources Manager

We agree that we have an amazing team. We are always looking for ways to improve and will continue to evaluate our programs to ensure we are remaining competitive and investing in our people. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback!

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews