HFP Capital Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "great experience"

Former Employee - Trainee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trainee in New York, NY

I worked at HFP Capital Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

long pay int he long run

Cons

hard to start as a trainee

Advice to Management

higher pay in the beginning

"Worst Company EVER!"

Current Employee - Lead Qualifier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Qualifier in New York, NY

I have been working at HFP Capital Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any.

Cons

Complete Boiler Room, and they promised me a salary and ended up paying me way less. Stay AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

"Terrible experience"

Current Employee - Registered Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at HFP Capital Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get sponsored for Series 7 & Series 63

Cons

Extremely low pay, even by industry standards. Terrible working environment. No opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Treat your talent better, pay them for the work they've done and maybe the revolving door at the front of your office will stop spinning.

"I was lied to from day one!!!!"

Current Employee - Registered Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at HFP Capital Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will sponsor you for your series 7 & 63, they buy good leads. It is a young environment where dont have to be very professional

Cons

Its essentially a pyramid scheme where thew top 5 guys make money off the jr. brokers before firing you or bringing in new ones. They tell you the obligation (50 qualified accounts, recently changed to 100) is the tough part and if you can make it through that, the big money starts to come in. However, very few guys are given the chance to actually get through the obligation, and 80% of the brokers that do were fired within 2 months of getting through their obligation losing any chance to make real money because the accounts you get no longer go to your senior broker.

Senior brokers are uneducated for the most part, while the other half is either college dropouts or just high school like the head of retail. There are no CFA's or MBA's and they have an inferiority complex to all the bigger firms. HFP is one of the least paying firms out there.

There is no talk or understanding of the market as you are just told to push the product they need to be sold. Although not a boiler room (because they are selling real products) they are selling very bad investments under the guise of being safe that even the head guys do not understand. I am aware of plently of securities that HFP sold of companies the ended up going bankrupt.

You expected to work 3 saturdays a month and until 9pm during the week (In at 7am)

Most of the senior brokers do not have clean licenses and you can look that up on brokercheck, the head of the firm can not even sell securities in a bunch of states and another state is suing the firm. They are currently spending a lot of money on PR and want only good things to be seen when you search them. Including this site so be aware of what looks like what may be done by a PR pro, it likely is because nobody is happy at this firm except for the top 5 guys. Even the few mid-level guys I have heard are scared for their jobs now that they are making really good money because they do not reach quotas. And because of how the contract is structured they can fire you whenever they want down the road no questions ask. You have to sign it... Best of luck though

Advice to Management

Compensate jr brokers for the work they do and earn. You know they are very underpaid and the obligation standards just arent feasible with the current pay structure

"Bad environment, horrible people, and no sleep"

I worked at HFP Capital Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Probably a good introduction into finance culture on Wall Street, although not sure. I did not go to any other firms before or after to compare.

If you have any 4 year degree and can speak clearly, you will probably get hired.

Fully sponsored for Series 7 and 63 exams.

If the job is right for you, the money can grow exponentially.

Cons

They hire everyone they can because they know that their job is demanding and most will not stay. I advise people who are looking for respect and a positive work environment to not work there.

Through my experience here, I have found that most of the people there are vocally racist and sexist. They tend to talk about women in a very demeaning way. Some of the brokers there had the maturity of a stereotypical college frat boy, and in a way being a trainee is their version of hazing.

The job is 100% cold calling until you are licensed. They do not want a trainee to do anything else but cold call. They will reprimand you for asking questions about the product that they sell, company policy, and/or the market trends as a whole. Its a closed environment and don't expect to make any friends. They conduct their business very strictly and nothing else.

I was nothing more than a glorified intern as a trainee. I ran to get the brokers coffee multiple times a day and got paid very little, barely covering the costs of commute and taxes.

The hours are very long. As a trainee, you are required to be there at 7:15am every day. If you are late, you should expect a stern reprimand; and there is no concept of a sick day to them. As a broker once one passes the 7 and the 63 exams, you should expect to work from 7:15am until very late at night cold calling as well as Saturdays.

In addition, every new trainee is forced to make one of these upon your first day. Their ratings here were very low, and they made their interns and trainee give great reviews of the place to make recruiting easier. Don't be fooled like I was, I can tell by the language of some of those posts that a supervisor was standing behind them as they wrote it.

Advice to Management

Treat trainees better. Let them ask questions and ease up on them. They want to learn and they will work better for you if they feel comfortable and can enjoy what they are doing.

6. "Broker Trainee-amazing opportunity"

Current Employee - Stock Broker Trainee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Stock Broker Trainee in New York, NY

I have been working at HFP Capital Markets full-time

Pros

Sponsored for Series 7 & 63
    Unlimited income potential
    Hands on work from the beginning with training everyday
    Fun and exciting atmosphere
    Get off early to study

Cons

Studying and working is a full time commitment
    A lot of hours and hard work is required to obtain firm obligation

Advice to Management

Raise base salary but it is understood that money comes in once licensed

7. "Broker Trainee"

I worked at HFP Capital Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full Sponsorship for Series 7 and 63 licenses
    Team leaders are always providing help and training, never left alone
    Free lunches if we show improvement
    High Earnings potential in the long run

Cons

no benefits as a trainee
    low salary to start
    studying for the series 7 is hard

Advice to Management

Please pay a higher salary

8. "THE BEST opportunity on Wall Street for 2013"

Current Employee - Account Executive/Broker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive/Broker in New York, NY

I have been working at HFP Capital Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at 2 firms before this and overall I have nothing but good things to say about my experience here. Incredible research department and bond analysts. A wealth management team that has continually exceeded the standards and returns of even the top end Banks (ie. Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan, etc). The most legitamate opportunity to start a highly paying career in the Finance industry. Really d*mn hard in the beginning, but WELL WORTH IT.

Cons

EXTREMELY strict compliance department. High pressure to perform and show significant gains for clients month after month and year after year. VERY demanding as far as bringing in new customers consistently. VERY long hours, don't expect any free time for the first year or 2.

Advice to Management

Give more time to study for exams during day. More one on one training (There is some but more would be even better).

9. "Strong earning potential, boiler room."

Former Employee - Stock Broker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Stock Broker in New York, NY

I worked at HFP Capital Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong earning potential at an early age. The higher ups clearly make money and are willing to spend on their employees. Pretty easy to speak to the owners/bosses if you need, as they sit right in the middle of everything. Sponsorship for Series 7 & 63.

Cons

Furious cold calling.
    You won't learn anything except how to sell in your time there.
    The pay while unlicensed is horrible.

"Boiler room atmosphere."

Former Employee - Stock Broker Trainee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Stock Broker Trainee in New York, NY

I worked at HFP Capital Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Series 7 & 63 certification

Cons

Boiler room atmosphere with limited career advancement.

Advice to Management

Have a little more respect for employees.