HJ3 Composite Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

James Butler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales"

I have been working at HJ3 Composite Technologies full-time

Pros

HJ3 offers Competitive Salary plus commissions in addition to training. The company invests in people. Field Labor recently began receiving standby pay as an example, and the company pays health benefits. I also like the people that work here as they are kind and supportive.

Cons

The company is pushing for growth and at times this is stressful. I see the benefits of the effort but I also think it will take time to reach the level of growth being pursued.

Advice to Management

Continue communicating to the company and laying out the road map. It has been a positive to see the energy put towards training and development and communication.

2. "Empty Promises, staggeringly low results..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at HJ3 Composite Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the talent there is extraordinary. Their dedication to their craft is the only reason that the company is still staving of bankruptcy.

Cons

Egomaniac at the helm of the ship, and he surrounds himself with sycophants. It's tough to stand in a room with a business major lecturing pHD structural engineer about how to put a project together.
    And integrity? None. He will promise a commission scale that will disappear before your eyes. You can get commissions on this if you beat the yearly average... Unless you do, then you have to beat the 3 year weighted average... Oh! You beat that too? That's really a house account and no one is going to make a commission on that. Sell a commercial job? I'll give your commission to someone else and bonus the Sales Manager for a job well stolen. Have a customer doing really well? He's a house account now... Commissions paid? Uh... no. Still waiting over 18 months to get the last two. I'm sure that they were paid to someone else already.

Advice to Management

Quit. Be great at sales and let someone else manage. Be a closer, stop looking for an excuse to hide behind. Take responsibility for your own decisions and stop looking for someone else to blame. If you can't see beyond your own limitations then step aside and let someone else take control.

3. "Do not work here if you are a hard worker"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Tucson, AZ

I worked at HJ3 Composite Technologies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Grew quickly and was easy commute. Think it could be a good company with real management

Cons

Management was inconsistent and screwed people on pay. Lied to by senior management about stock and raises, all the managers left within 6 months who were any good. The finance lead was forced to lied to bank and vendors, died from the stress with a heart attach. All I saw was a firm focused on making ownership money and screwing all the good and bad workers for management benefit

Advice to Management

Have some morals and be truthful

4. "Poor Leadership Leads to Poor Results"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Technology is amazing and the potential in the marketplace really exists...as a niche market.

Cons

Small company desperately trying to compete with stronger and smarter competitors but under egocentric and paranoid leadership it will be very hard. My first red flag was during my interview with the CEO when he said he is "a great leader". Who says that?
    Sales strategy changed some four times in one year. After 6 months with the company I was told by the CEO that my revenue targets for the year was bigger that the best year the company ever had!?! How is that possible? If you are a sales professional you will not be treated as such at HJ3. Go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop making promises you cannot keep. Get out of the office bunker to realize that clients do care about value but also care about pricing. Your sales department and your clients are not the enemy.

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at HJ3 Composite Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work offering competitive pay and benefits. The company focuses on work life balance, offering flexibility to take care of personal appointments, family affairs and after school activities. Supportive small business with a focus on community outreach. HJ3 is making a huge impact, working to solve a major world problem reinforcing and repairing numerous types of infrastructures.

Cons

Open work environment, office can be a bit distracting at times

Advice to Management

Continue striving to grow the company to the next level of success. Try to hire more enthusiastic, passionate and energetic people.

6. "Strong Corporate Values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Pros

I enjoy working at HJ3 because they truly put family first. I need flexibility in my job to take care of school pick up and various kid activities, and the company works with me to make it happen. I appreciate the nature of the work. You really feel like your part of solving a major problem by repairing infrastructure, and the product has positive environmental impact. The company invests in its people and has a $100,000 in grant funding from the state of Arizona because of its commitment to training and job growth.

Cons

Key processes are worked on but not yet in place. There seems to be an effort to structure things, but various emergencies, mostly client driven, seem to come up ALL the time. Sometimes it feels like we take two steps forward and one step back.

Advice to Management

Let go of high paid consultants and hire leaders that can process the business

"CEO doesn't deserve the great staff he has!"

I worked at HJ3 Composite Technologies full-time

Pros

Great product, which truly has the potential to improve the world's failing infrastructure. My colleagues were very hard-working and provided a positive atmosphere.

Cons

This company will soon go bankrupt if changes aren't made, and most problems stem from the CEO himself. He has very drastic mood swings, and the mood of the office hinges on his own mood. He is unappreciative of his staff's hard work (99% of employees come in early, stay late, work all through their weekends, and never take a lunch break) - which is evident by the dismal pay and the fact that he actually counts how many bathroom breaks they take in a day. He is highly indecisive, and seems to treat business opportunities and objectives as tinker toys - changing them up whenever he feels like it, with no regard to others' input or the stake they may have in those objectives. Women receive practically no training whatsoever, while men are given days-long training classes; generally speaking, the CEO seems to regard women as emotional and manipulative - and he makes no effort to hide it.

Advice to Management

your PEOPLE are your business, not your product. Without a dedicated staff, your product means nothing - so treat them better! Ask for their input, value their opinions, treat everyone with respect and fairness - and if you give them the chance, women can take you from

"Unprofessional and Empty Promises"

Former Employee - Administration in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Administration in Tucson, AZ

I worked at HJ3 Composite Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my fellow coworkers were very nice, hard working and enjoyable to be around. There was an effort made to have monthly group activities on Friday's which allowed everyone to have fun and get to know each other better.

Cons

Whatever the mood of the owner is when he comes into the office sets the tone for everyone else the rest of the day. If the owner is not happy then you better watch out, stay clear and hope he doesn't need to speak with you. There is zero respect shown from him to to the employees, it's his way or no way. There is definitely a "good ol' boys" type of mentality that can go around and if you are female you are given less credibility. Constant promises of upgrading the facility were made and nothing ever came to fruition. There is never any clear direction to anything and midway through any kind of upgrade or change the owner changes his mind and nothing ever actually comes to completion or transition. Lastly be prepared to take on the role of anything deemed necessary. Including but not limited to working in the warehouse, general cleaning, running last minute errands and basically things that are completely outside of what you think your scope of work is or should be.

Advice to Management

The owner needs to get out of his own way! Stand back, trust people to do what you hired them to do. Don't be so self serving, respect your employees and pay them accordingly.

"Voted Best Place to Work in Tucson for a reason!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at HJ3 Composite Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is truly committed to serve it's clients and it's local community. Employees and management are passionate about their work. It's so refreshing to be in a family environment away from cubicles and big corporate America. I really think this company has the potential to grow into a large company.

Cons

The nature of the work requires detailed analysis in a timely fashion to support clients. It can be intense.

Advice to Management

Continue developing your people - your on the right track! Incentive compensation would reward key people.

"HJ3- A company that makes a difference"

I have been working at HJ3 Composite Technologies full-time

Pros

Pros - HJ3's product line is exceptional, saving clients money and repairing our failing infrastructure using their patented carbon fiber and advanced composites. HJ3's products have many applications which can save lives & money by repairing and extending the life of essential civil, commercial, residential and industrial structures. Making a difference is a key motivator for me, so if making a difference is important to you, this would be a company to look at. The people are nice and there is a sense of team. HJ3 is a growing company. In this economy that speaks volumes. My manager is wonderful which makes my job even more rewarding.

Cons

Like any growing company, HJ3 is experiencing growing pains. Candidates should be flexible and able to multitask.