HM Electronics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chuck Miyahira

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at HM Electronics full-time

Pros

Moving to brand new building twice as big in Carlsbad. New building is going to have onsite gym, game room, basketball court and a quiet room.

Cons

Parking is an issue and working space is small.

Advice to Management

Thank you for providing growth and development opportunities for employees.

2. "HME"

I have been working at HM Electronics full-time

Pros

People are friendly
    Great educational opportunities - professional development encouraged.
    Encouraged to implement process improvements.
    Interesting projects - many challenges
    Company growing

Cons

Pay below industry standards
    Training is done by co-workers, minimal formal training
    Many processes are very manual.
    Lack of documentation - business on tribal knowledge
    Senior Management has very little interaction with employees

3. "Ok/good place to work as a step up job"

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA

I worked at HM Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are the leader in their field and are growing company. The benefits are really good as well and they offer competitive pay. They are actually building a new office in Carlsbad for their growth. Depending on the department the hours are flexible.

Cons

Other than getting hired the pay raises are horrible, on average the annual pay increase is the following: if you do a great job you are looking at a 4-5% raise, a good job 1.5-3% raise or a promotion you get 5-7% from what I have heard and personal experience. Sure there are exceptions to these but I posted the averages for most employees

I listed moving to Carlsbad as a pro, but it is also a con because a majority of their employees are located in the east county or the greater San Diego area. Before they made the announcement to move an email was sent out by the CEO saying they are committed to staying in Poway but I think they deliberately did this knowing a lot of people who are hardworking loyal employees will end up having to quit, and as a result will save them from having to pay any unemployment. Carlsbad will make most of their employees commute double I would not be surprised if they are looking to get employees who are more affluent due to Carlsbad being one of the more expensive areas in San Diego county.

They say they care about their employees but based on my experiences and other reviews their actions speak louder than their words they have a bullying culture there and some of the bosses will discriminate against people with disabilities out of their control.

Though they are growing my their main source of income is dealing with fast food companies, so if they do not have a plan set to make any devices like a kiosk then it will not surprise me of the company revenue will decrease due to the increase of minimum wage for fast food companies which will result in them potentially losing business since their number one seller is drive through equipment

Advice to Management

To the CEO and President of HM Electronics, if you want to continue your company's success try to raise employee moral with more team building activities. The one BBQ and Christmas party are not enough and even those people segregate themselves within the department's they work. Considering people spend more time at work than they do with their families it would make employee moral go up if you guys actually had events where people got to know each other from different departments.

Also too many managers with equal power causes one contradicting another. Improve communication between departments and have some forward thinking since the fast food business is changing and becoming more automated

5. "Great place to work if it wasn't for management"

I worked at HM Electronics full-time

Pros

They pay VERY well and the benefits are pretty good. Medical/dental/vision, 401k matching, decent vacation accrual, opportunity for a year-end bonus. The people they hire are intelligent and friendly, and I absolutely love every team member in my department. Clear Com has a female president.

Cons

Management gets incredibly belligerent if you don't follow the chain of command. They seem to think they're better than you because they all drive Aston Martins and BMWs. It sends a message to our visitors when every car you see parked in front of the building is a brand new Beamer. The people they have in management do not deserve to be there. They are bullies and treat you like you're a subhuman if you so much as make one mistake and "make them look bad". A lot of backstabbing and hypocrisy and will fire you at the drop of a hat. Not a lot of room for growth if you don't kiss management's behinds.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of your butts and stop being a boys' club. The ONLY REASON you look good is because your employees make you look good. Otherwise, you're a bunch of spoiled brats with nice cars.

6. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I worked at HM Electronics (More than a year)

Pros

Zero team mentality everyone works in a silo.

Cons

Closed minded where Christian ceremonies are imposed to all at their Christmas parties. Their way or the highway!!

Advice to Management

Respect people of all religion and color.

7. "Great place to work!!"

I have been working at HM Electronics full-time

Pros

HME is very committed to it's employees.

Cons

There are not any that stick out.

8. "A good company to work for!"

Pros

The company offers opportunities to move to jobs in different departments.

Cons

The company is moving next year to Carlsbad, which will be a much longer commute for many employees.

"Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I have been working at HM Electronics (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work / life balance
    Employees are treated well
    Good teamwork
    Successful company
    Moving to a great new facility in Carlsbad

Cons

Current facility and parking is a problem
    On the conservative side

"Best Places to Work"

Pros

People are encouraged to think outside of the box and are encouraged to find out why we do things and how to improve the process.

People are very passionate about what they do, they go the extra mile to help you when you need it.

People are very friendly and approachable.

People enjoy spending time with each other outside of work. (we have so many leagues/activities: soccer, bowling, softball, yoga, etc.)

Cons

We are growing so much we are running out of space!

"Electronics Repair Technician Tech 1"

Former Employee - Electronics Repair Technician in Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Electronics Repair Technician in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at HM Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

40 hours could be done in 4, 10 hour shifts in a week if a day off was needed and no sick/vacation was used. Generally respectable management.

Cons

Low paying job for my experience. Some parts of the repair job could be done by high-schoolers with no prior knowledge of electronics, and probably should have been instead of wasting the repair technician's time.

Advice to Management

Risk paying technicians more to get decent employees.