HMA (Healthcare Management Administrators) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Snodgrass

Pros
  • HMA has a great casual dress code (in 6 reviews)

• The ability to work from home is the only thing that keeps most good employees with this company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also top managers were told they had to write glowing reviews on this site (in 4 reviews)

• Inconsistency in policies and procedures (in 2 reviews)

1. "Outstanding Company"

Former Employee - CDHP Lead in Mukilteo, WA
    Former Employee - CDHP Lead in Mukilteo, WA

I worked at HMA (Healthcare Management Administrators) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility when needed, Good pay, Many outstanding staff

Cons

The "cons" were taken care of

"30+ Year Startup Seeking to Innovate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HMA (Healthcare Management Administrators) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely the highlight of working at HMA is the employees. Being a smaller company, HMA has a tight-knit culture consisting of very talented employees. In my case, my supervisors are very supportive and encourage me to leverage my creativity and strengths. It is also evident that HMA has the correct mindset of wanting to change such as replacing some of its obsolete and tedious processes with innovative technologies.

Cons

Although this is not the case for me, I feel as if upper management encourages employees to speak up, but many employees have amazing ideas and feedback that are listened to but not taken into account. In addition, despite some processes being optimized, HMA is understaffed and a number of employees are asked to work beyond capacity. As mentioned in past reviews, there is a struggle between people in the company who don't embrace change and people who do, which leads to some ambiguity in terms of HMA's future goals and strategic alignment.

Advice to Management

Keep persisting for change - it is difficult but worthwhile. Also, continue developing, listening to, investing in, rewarding, and recognizing employees for the immense effort they put in to keep HMA strong.

"Is anyone really listening? Can you hear us now?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HMA (Healthcare Management Administrators) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have developed a strong bond with some of my co workers, and the ability to work from home occassionaly.

Cons

The severe lack of respected leadership has become a real issue. People in these positions are not qualified to lead the staff to their potential. There is a lack of resources and support in almost every area of the company. It has become about impossible expectations even for those employees w great capabilities to perform.

Advice to Management

Why do you think staff is acting out? What are the surveys telling you? What is morale and turnover telling you? If you want to make a difference ask yourself why good people are continuing to complain and leave.

"A fulfilling place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HMA (Healthcare Management Administrators) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at HMA seem to really care about doing the right thing. Lots of reviews here talk about the "new management" that came in about a year ago. Having been with HMA with the "old" and the "new", I can tell you definitively that the new management operates at a much higher level and has made significant improvements to the business. I like my job and I like the people I work with. I feel respected by my manager. Pay is okay, benefits are great. Overall, I am happy.

Cons

I think HMA is still going through changes. The company has not yet found its equilibrium and that can be unsettling for people who have been here a while.

Advice to Management

Help all employees see the impact and positive results tied to the changes that have been made over the past year.

"Trying to improve but obsessed with $ and prestige while ignoring questionable behavior"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

HMA has decent pay and good benefits. Majority of the employees are hardworking and nice people. IT is finally working on getting up to date. Overhauled HR so its no longer gossip central. CEO is a nice person who tries to do the right thing.

Cons

Obsessed with becoming top employer in the NW and making money that they are now overworking people more than normal. Overlooks managers who abuse and lie about the people under them. People are kept on as bodies when they can't or refuse to do the work assigned to them. Promotions are based on sucking up. Discourages individuality. Lack of raises.

Advice to Management

Stop keeping people as bodies. If the person can't or doesn't want to do the work don't keep them for years. It causes discouragement over standards for the people who do the work. Stand up for your hardworking employees not the ones who know how to work the system and lie. HR may have improved in some areas but these overly positive reviews, almost identical, reviews are making me think HR is on a mission to hedge the reviews on glassdoor to the positive side rather the accurate side.

"Better and Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HMA (Healthcare Management Administrators) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of new amazing new talent-- Refreshing, exciting, positive-- It's infectious and exciting to be part of this company where every employee makes a difference.

Cons

There is a lot of new energy--but there are still some angst about moving forward and getting everyone committing and on board--I think it will just take a bit more time --

Advice to Management

Keep the open doors open and continue to be transparent with all staff reinforcing our progress and excitement--

"What is this company now?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at HMA (Healthcare Management Administrators) (More than a year)

Pros

The pros - there are (or probably more accurate at this point, given turnover, HAVE been) some great people here.

Cons

Poor top-down communication. Too many political, self serving, actors in the management ranks. Culture is a much discussed topic at any company, and for the most part, it feels that the negative aspects at most companies are universally distrubuted, and their impact on the daily lives of their employees, are minimally impactful, and maybe even necessary to a smooth operation and a successful, healthy business. Not so at HMA. It's quite hard to totally summarize into words, and the problems at HMA have been pretty thoroughly discussed already in previous reviews, but the management of this company, based on any reasonable eye test, has been disastrous. The company has been reorganized and restructured many times in the past 2 years or so, and each attempt to switch course feels questionable and like a hastily jerry built panacea to problems that don't seem on the surface all that difficult to solve. They've drained their company of brain power (and not just by lay offs - the pro management reviews might deride all of the negative comments as disgruntled former employees or people who couldn't 'get with' their program...but in actuality, it's probably the case that many of them are simply frustrated because they care about the people that work there and don't like the direction that things are heading), and it doesn't seem like there's an end in sight.

Advice to Management

I don't really have much. I don't want to denigrate anyone's character here, but I don't have a lot of faith in the management they have in place. A note to anyone who might be reading reviews about this company - the CEO that Glassdoor has listed is the founder and president, but he's not effectively the "executive officer" at the company anymore (but he's obviously well liked). The operations are mostly controlled by other people now. Assumedly. Management is very quiet about how they structure their decision making.

"Deception At Its Finest"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HMA (Healthcare Management Administrators) (More than 3 years)

Pros

HMA is a small company of about 250ish employees. It was a great place to work, until recently under the new leadership. New leadership have turned what was a family-like culture where people genuinely like each other, care about the company, and want nothing but the best for it into a cold, corporate, cutthroat culture where employees viewed as machinery rather than human beings. It is really sad to see and experience. Many long-term employees have left over the past year or so. Some voluntarily, some not. Many of those that remain are looking for work elsewhere.

In fairness, not all of the change occurring is bad. There have been some much needed process updates implemented to improve organizational efficiency.

Cons

Very controlling (new) leadership.

The flurry of glowing reviews that have popped up on this site in late May and early June 2016 are clearly fake and submitted in an attempt to increase the overall glassdoor rating. The new HMA...deception at its finest.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the clouds and treat the people who work for you with respect. It's not all about your individual ego!

10. "A chance to make a difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HMA (Healthcare Management Administrators) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HMA is currently going through a time of intense growth and culture change with an eye to becoming a PNW Top 100 Employer and an industry leader by 2020.

This makes it exciting to show up at work each day for those who enjoy being challenged to consistently be better at their job than the day before. And not only at their jobs.

HMA values employees' whole health and so institutes an aggressive wellness plan to ensure that every employee not only has the opportunity to become healthier but is also encouraged and, in fact, cheered on to accomplish their personal goals.

Regarding careers at HMA, many people currently employed at HMA started in a different position, even a different department. Management at HMA appears personally committed to the growth and development of the people and talents they hire.

Cons

While HMA is an exciting and challenging place to work, this is a recent development. Culture is currently in flux as employees who have been well-used to an established status quo are being challenged to step out of comfort zones- and in some areas, challenged to do their jobs in totality.

Management at HMA no longer appears content to allow employees to simply exist and punch a time clock every day. Now, everyone is being encouraged to find ways to make it personal in everything they do- to the point that multiple $500 bonuses are now available each quarter simply to recognize those going above and beyond.

I added the above under cons because I know that there are those out there- even some currently employed at HMA- who would like to go back to the "old way" of doing things where they do the minimal required, punch in, punch out, and collect their paycheck. That is no longer the way HMA does things.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! It'll get rougher before it gets better but the best way to get through is to stay the course.

11. "Great company if you're willing to roll up your sleeves"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HMA (Healthcare Management Administrators) (More than 5 years)

Pros

HMA is in a transition phase. As noted in other reviews, there has been some change in the leadership team. The new team has a great vision for the future and is actively working to build the company to achieve that vision. HMA likes to hire from within - many long time employees can attest to having worked in many different areas and at several levels. If you're willing to roll up your sleeves and dig in, its a great place to be. Its a small & nimble enough company that one person can make a difference. The company has put a focus on culture with various initiatives to engage employees and focus on wellness. Those initiatives are still growing - but its a good start.

Cons

Transition is tough and there have been some people exit the organization in the past year. Its hard to see some of those people trashing HMA on this site. HMA's business is complex. It can be a great place to learn but there is definitely a learning curve for anyone new coming in the door. Management could do a better job with training during the onboarding process. Also, HMA allows many people to work from home-based offices. While this is a great perk for many of the staff it makes it harder for people to stay connected and engaged with the team as a whole.

Advice to Management

Build out a stronger onboarding and training program; keep working to address & improve culture and wellness.