HMC Architects Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Brian Staton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In my experience, HMC is very committed to a work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• HMC is an excellent place to work, great people, open and approachable management (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • A top-heavy office with little working hands (in 4 reviews)

• There are a lot of leadership vision plans and talk about future programs being discussed by various leadership committees (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time

Pros

Projects
    Staff and Culture
    Growth Opportunity
    Professional Development
    Work/Life Balance

Cons

Equality in skill and opportunity across offices

2. "Great people"

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for - they seem to have figured out how to hire and keep some really people to spend your days with.

Cons

It's a big company that's been around for quite a long time. They have a lot of inertia sometimes and don't adapt to change quickly.

Advice to Management

The next 75 years will be nothing like the last 75 years. The firm needs a plan that doesn't involve large, expensive projects in California.

"PL"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I worked at HMC Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Office and some employees are friendly.

Cons

The culture of the firm is not like it was before. Many sr. project managers & young project managers are not very supportive to the people whom work under them. Also, the sr. project managers & young managers do not really know how to work together as a team, not proactive and unfriendly. They claimed themselves of capable in utilizing some computer software, but they don't.

"it's been a long haul"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Ontario, CA

I worked at HMC Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is, at times a great place to work. They pay well and will give you the time off you need for any personal issues you may have.
    It is one of the better firms I have worked with.

Cons

There is a lack of leadership. there's a lot of MANAGEMENT, but not a lot of leadership.
    Some of the top people are so self serving, you wonder how they got to where they are. I have watched some act in the detriment of the company to serve their own fragile ego.
    The competitive nature between the practices/studios is perplexing: we're all on the same team.

Advice to Management

See above, clean house, don't be fooled by a smooth talk or the ability to get work. You need to remove the silos.

"Healthcare LA"

Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HMC Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people to work with. Good benefits and pay. Great downtown Los Angeles location. The office was nice and spacious. A good place to grow your knowledge in education and healthcare architecture. Opportunity for growth if you play your cards right.

Cons

A top-heavy office with little working hands. A mixture of managers who were manipulative, indifferent, emotionally unstable, and straight-up ruthless who often time micro managed the little production members. Design opportunity was usually wasted by poor-sighted leaders who believed themselves to be the best. A recent addition to the upper crust had attempted to "reform" but only caused more tension and stress while failing to live up to his promise.

Advice to Management

Leave your ego at home and truly live up to what you preach at work.

6. "Sr. Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Architect in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Architect in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional Managing Principal who leads by example, creates strong team environment and empowers us all to succeed. Interesting projects, kind and talented professional people. Opportunities for professional growth and development.

Cons

No cons if you are a nice professional person

Advice to Management

Thank you for your commitment to the entire San Jose team!

7. "Architect"

Current Employee - Architect in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HMC is an excellent place to work, great people, open and approachable management. Lots of avenues to grow professionally. Diverse projects and good clients. Convenient/accessible location in downtown San Jose, beautiful office and comfortable environment. Overall great company doing impressive work.

Cons

There are few firm-wide events.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. It is wonderful to be part of such a success story. Setting up frequent firm-wide events would help connect employees from different HMC studios.

"Hmc Los Angeles has changed"

Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HMC Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At first when I worked here it seemed like they said they cared about employee satisfaction. Ok benefits

Cons

The education practice seemed more fair and had people staying, but the healthcare practice seemed like they were understaffed of poorly managed. I felt overburdened with overtime hours. But if you factor overtime my hourly wages were low

Advice to Management

There was a new partner that seemed ruthless and pretty much wanted to get rid everyone to make the office in the image. I think of my time here and don’t really think it amounted to anything. It totally turned me off of corporate culture. Squeezing the little guy for all they got and throwing them away like they didn’t matter is the kind of the cold ruthless side of corporate culture. It seems like the la office is trying to attract an award winning lead designer and become a wannabe pretentious elitist firm. If you want that work here. But beware you might not meet there elitist standards and pressure of fire you.

""Awesome place to work!""

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time

Pros

Amazing company to work for & I thoroughly enjoy being part of HMC family. San Jose office moved to a nicer open office with lot of daylight helps maintaining a balance, friendly atmosphere. HMC believes that employees are firm’s greatest assets. Flexible schedule allows great work-life balance. Enthusiastic, passionate, talented, & helpful co-workers along with supportive management who will always encourage you to continue to grow at your own pace. Regular monthly performance reviews help to voice your concerns and goals to nail issues at source & improve performance. Quarterly connect keeps everyone current with the status & direction of the company. Up to date with current technology & has diverse work portfolio with exciting projects to look forward to. There are various groups/committees who meet on routine basis to share/learn & improve various aspects of the company. Work share among various HMC offices is a norm. X-Ref program, Design Future foundation, scholarships available for employee children, gym, recreation room & variety of restaurants with in walking distances are real plus. Ideas/opinion from every employee are always well received by the management. No wonder why there are many long time (+10 years) employees or they return back to HMC.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up with the great work of design commitment to enrich people’s lives!

"Corporate administration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management asks for employee input through company wide surveys. Some change is implemented, but they never address the negative or below average answers to the survey responses. Some studios have regular in-house happy hours for staff each week. There are regular vendor lunch learning seminars.

Cons

Management tends to take care of themselves, while excusing their own poor performance. Management talks of training and mentorship, but those doing the talking don't actually know what it means to invest in employee training.