HMC Architects Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Brian Staton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "In my experience, HMC is very committed to a work-life balance" (in 6 reviews)

• "Good projects, some great people, flexible hours" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "A top-heavy office with little working hands" (in 5 reviews)

• "Your hard work is not gonna be valued and you are losing your life balance" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time

Pros

Projects
    Staff and Culture
    Growth Opportunity
    Professional Development
    Work/Life Balance

Cons

Equality in skill and opportunity across offices

"Los Angeles Studio"

Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HMC Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location. Friendly hardworking staff. Company perks.

Cons

In this office the healthcare studio leadership lacks real leaders. About a year ago they hired a new principal as a “strategic” hire, he has done nothing but get people that he doesn’t like fired and has cause so much division in the studio. The healthcare leadership truly belittle their staff.

3. "Functional office, not a lot of design opportunities"

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time

Pros

Good people, good culture, inclusive

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to design.

"Needs new leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good projects, some great people, flexible hours.

Cons

If you are not "the" designer not much chance to be a part of the team other than pick ups. Top leadership is a joke and a good ol' boy club, if you are not one of them you will not advance. Hard work is NOT rewarded.

Advice to Management

Drop false lofty ideals of innovation or leading edge and recognize what you actually are.

"Lots of work to be done."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meaningful projects, flexible hours, dedicated team and nice office/studio environment.

Cons

Top-heavy, hard to grow in the company, hard work doesn't pay off, obvious equality issue, lacking diversity in race and gender in upper management. Very unfortunate.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention on how to get the work done not just on getting and winning projects, invest in your employees growth not only in marketing, remember the core of the firm is architecture .

"What a nighrmare"

Former Employee - Project Leader in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Leader in San Diego, CA

I worked at HMC Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay there is decent. That’s about it.

Cons

Worst managers I have ever had the miss fortune to experience. My last yearly review was 4 months late and excused away because ‘managers are busy’ but when my work was questioned,and I told them I didn’t have the time to do everything they assigned to me, it was my fault for not working smart enough.

For over a year I took my Tuesday and Friday lunches after an 11:00 AM construction meeting. On the way back to the office I would stop at at any one of a number of places to eat, shop, whatever. Came to find out that my managers thought that the entire year I was skipping out of work and cheating them. When they confronted me with it, ready to fire me, and I told them that I had been lunching they were dumbstruck. They had no idea what to do, how to handle it, or anything. They told me they’d get back to me about it but never did.

Most notorious was the big bosses (C level) and their seagul form of management. They would be totally hands off through the most of the construction documents, then fly in out of no where, crap all over everything the team did, and fly away.

Advice to Management

Take a class on managing from a learning annex. Learn to manage without relying on rumors and conjecture.

7. "Great people"

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for - they seem to have figured out how to hire and keep some really people to spend your days with.

Cons

It's a big company that's been around for quite a long time. They have a lot of inertia sometimes and don't adapt to change quickly.

Advice to Management

The next 75 years will be nothing like the last 75 years. The firm needs a plan that doesn't involve large, expensive projects in California.

"Designer/Architects"

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company culture, good benefits to attract employees, lots of resources, always new people around

Cons

Never get fooled by the big picture. Big firms never lack of people. I would def give a negative to the management if possible. If you work OT doesn’t get approved by the manager but he/she always gave you work overloaded, you will always end up with work overtime voluntarily (8-9 pm). It’s a good company, but it just depends on your team and management. You would not wanna work for someone who is micro management, interested in politics or exploit the employees. The feedback from employee will be reviewed by your manager before you hand to HR. Certain team is always hiring and the turnover rate is high every year. Just keep an eye on those always hire new. Your hard work is not gonna be valued and you are losing your life balance.

Advice to Management

Rather than always hiring, HR really needs to function and listen to designers all around. If the turnover rate is high, something must go wrong with the manager.

"it's been a long haul"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Ontario, CA

I worked at HMC Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is, at times a great place to work. They pay well and will give you the time off you need for any personal issues you may have.
    It is one of the better firms I have worked with.

Cons

There is a lack of leadership. there's a lot of MANAGEMENT, but not a lot of leadership.
    Some of the top people are so self serving, you wonder how they got to where they are. I have watched some act in the detriment of the company to serve their own fragile ego.
    The competitive nature between the practices/studios is perplexing: we're all on the same team.

Advice to Management

See above, clean house, don't be fooled by a smooth talk or the ability to get work. You need to remove the silos.

"PL"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I worked at HMC Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Office and some employees are friendly.

Cons

The culture of the firm is not like it was before. Many sr. project managers & young project managers are not very supportive to the people whom work under them. Also, the sr. project managers & young managers do not really know how to work together as a team, not proactive and unfriendly. They claimed themselves of capable in utilizing some computer software, but they don't.