HMC Architects Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Brian Staton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Glad to be part of HMC team"

Current Employee - Designer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to start career, open for adapting emerging technologies and fresh ideas.
    There is always an opportunity to do something here if you are really passionate about it.
    Great learning environment and visionary leaders.
    Good work-life balance, Friday half day.
    Exciting projects are in pipeline and great changes are coming.
    San Jose office is moving to the vibrant environment.
    Great program like X-ref to encourage young talent and provides platform to grow.

Cons

None, none, none. I can not think of any at this moment.
    But, I think office can be more integrated

Advice to Management

Keep empowering employees to gain experience in diverse aspects of the project.

2. "Bi-Polar Firm"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Architectural Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at HMC Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They had some interesting work.

Cons

It felt as if there was a "Big Announcement" every week. They went through 3 presidents during my 3.5 years of being employed there. Each week a new big hire or new market the firm was exploring, then the following year they'd announce that hire was let go or we were no longer seeking that type of work. If this firm was personified as a person it'd be a Bi-polar one.

Also, when they bought our company we were all basically asked to interview for our current positions. They didn't seek out advice or recommendations from the principal or directors.

Our bonus was an IPAD which they deducted the taxes for on our next check.

Advice to Management

Advice to management? prep your resumes, because i'm sure the board of directors isn't far from replacing you.

"Project Manager at San Jose Office"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very encouraging and helpful environment
    - Allow younger employees to jump into multiple aspects of a project and learn quickly. HMC wants to include you!
    - Many resources to get work efficiently and use the companies inner network of talents
    - Company is up to date on current technologies and seeking more advancement to improve architectural service with emerging technologies.
    - Promote continuing education, certifications, and licensing
    - Competitive salary and benefits packages with many other company perks
    - Flexible schedule to accommodate different needs

Cons

- Large company with a set approval process, so decisions need to be run by all stakeholders. Can take time, but ultimately is a good review system.

Advice to Management

Continue to value and educate new talent as I see the company already is doing. One thing that stood out immediately to me when I was hired is that the company will invest in your growth if you are willing to learn and work hard. HMC is constantly looking towards the future.

4. "Exciting Changes"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Ontario, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are new people in leadership who are trying to change the culture. Feel like communication is getting better and feel more supported everyday.

Cons

CEO still seems unapproachable. Relies more on video to talk about the company but doesn't know who I am. Hopefully will get better next year.

"Enjoying the Growth"

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time

Pros

HMC is adapting and growing to better serve its clients and employees. It is great to be a part of the firm during this time and experience the positive changes. My coworkers are some of the most best people I've worked with. Of course there will always be one or two that you won't click as well with, but everybody tries to get along. The firm encourages personal growth and tries to help you get to where you want.

Cons

Change takes time, and if you don't have the patience and enthusiasm to participate in and experience the positive growth happening at HMC then this firm is not for you. With the influx of new hires comes the price of waiting for each to find their place. This causes some confusion as to how responsibilities are distributed, but we are each figuring it out. Helps if you are proactive.

Advice to Management

Upper management meets regularly, but lower level staff gets left in the dark sometimes. More transparency and communication to the lower level staff would help to keep the firm greased. The company has the man-power and the talent, but still needs to figure out the efficiency and efficacy.

"HMC SJ - Making a splash"

Current Employee - Designer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexibility of schedule for those with children!
    - Interesting projects for long time/ returning clients
    - Currently quite busy (Need more drafters!)
    - Expanding into small civil projects!
    - Education projects that are challenging old "norms" of the classroom environment
    - Great learning environment for graduates, small projects and small teams are great for learning in my opinion
    - Opportunity of volunteer for causes or make your own group for a cause
    - Management is doing a tremendous job at hunting for work!

Cons

- Office is quiet, but we are productive. Need some music!
    - Hard for new graduates to get into the Pre-design phase of projects
    - Current office is nice, but very rigid/"accountant" like to some
    - Transparency. One staff meeting a month leaves some people out of the loop who cannot make them. In that case, everything is by word of mouth and not necessarily accurate

Advice to Management

- Bi-monthly staff meetings
    - Celebrate people's birthdays on that day or following Monday
    - Moving would bring a boost to moral (especially color on the walls... or repaint!)

7. "Former Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Ontario, CA

I worked at HMC Architects (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Projects. Big company. Not much else.

Cons

Very top heavy and difficult to adapt to the current work world and technology.

"HMC San Jose"

Current Employee - HMC SAN Jose in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - HMC SAN Jose in San Jose, CA

Pros

The people and projects at HMC are first-rate and enjoyable to work with. In my experience, HMC is very committed to a work-life balance. Several employees work part time or modified shifts, including those in professional positions, not just support positions. I have had to modify my schedule in the past and was fully supported through the effort, even though it impacted the office workload.

Cons

Some in the office are working to create unnecessary dissension due to their own personal frustrations. Rather than support the new management team, they are working at every turn to undermine them. Those people bring everyone down and need to move on, or use their professional skills and experience to make positive changes.

Advice to Management

Many of us can see the new team working hard to create an office culture, but it is still a work in progress. We need more office buy-in and for people to support the effort and contribute to it, instead of criticizing it. The previous Managing Principal was well-loved, but was let go because of the many years of not meeting numbers. He was more of a friend and less of a leader, which did not help the bottom line and empowered too many people to not respect the position. We have gotten some new work and have some good potential work on the horizon and in the pipeline. People need to be patient, but also need to feel they are part of the process. Salaries are also way too low for the cost of living in the Bay Area. They need to be adjusted or it will continue to be easy for others to poach good employees.

"HMC Architects, San Jose"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people that work at HMC are very knowledgeable and are good people. HMC’s commitment to providing the best in client service is very admirable. The focus on education and healthcare projects builds great professional experience.

Cons

HMC’s leadership is not successful in helping employees achieve a good work-life balance. Since the longtime Managing Principal was let go towards the end of 2015, the office has been in state of uncertainty, some even say in decline as we haven’t gotten any new projects and there has been a steady stream of good employees leaving to join other area firms. Two project managers were promoted to serve as Managing Principals by corporate headquarters with seemingly no plan and there has been little to no positive change for the office since then. The office continues to struggle with those leaving as well as not being able to hire new in order to handle the work we do have. The employees that remain have to take on the additional work of those who left or were let go while still trying to keep on top of the work they already have. There is a lack of reward and recognition for the hard work that the employees have been doing in spite of the below market salaries for the SF Bay Area that they are getting paid. Employees are also worried that as many of the current projects are finishing up we are not getting any new projects. On a typical workday, most employees don't interact much outside of discussing work on projects, many even working through lunch, and hurry to finish what they have to do in order to leave as soon as they can. There is not really any office culture to speak of. There is a lack of communication from the management about what is happening and it seems that everyone is on their own without focus or direction.

Advice to Management

Management needs motivation and guidance to make improvements for the office, develop a core set of values that everyone can align with, engage the employees, provide clear lines of communication between management and the employees, work to improve morale and culture, show appreciation for the employees, reward hard work, increase salaries to be alteast on par with other firms in the SF Bay Area, provide training and mentorship and promote a good work-life balance. The happiness of the employees and creating an inclusive and collaborative workplace are important first steps. When the employees are treated well and are happy they in turn will be excited and motivated for success. The steps taken thus far by the management have not been working and need to be entirely re-thought.

10. "HMC Architects - San Jose Office"

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time

Pros

Management transition has been much more seamless than I anticipated. Newly promoted co-managing principals did an immediate review of positions and salaries and rectified some long overdue increases, as well as equipment updates. We could use some additional work, but I see more staff pitching in trying to win the work than in the past. Good opportunities for personal and professional growth.

Cons

Market uncertainty, particularly after the recession. Work can sometimes be mundane and repetitive, but is tempered by the occasional cool project. Need more of those. Salaries can be a bit low, especially for this area which has one of the highest costs of living in the U.S. Bonuses are woefully lacking and come way too late into the New Year.

Advice to Management

Salaries in this area need to be appropriate for the high cost of living. Bonuses need to be much more substantial and come earlier in the year. What is the point of a bonus that comes in April for the previous year? If you send out a message that the company is doing well - really well - we expect much better bonus compensation than we all received. If you want to engender loyalty, you need to do a much better job and reward people. When the bonus is really small and half of it goes to taxes, it doesn't feel like much of a bonus at all.