HMC Architects Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Brian Staton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

""Awesome place to work!""

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time

Pros

Amazing company to work for & I thoroughly enjoy being part of HMC family. San Jose office moved to a nicer open office with lot of daylight helps maintaining a balance, friendly atmosphere. HMC believes that employees are firm’s greatest assets. Flexible schedule allows great work-life balance. Enthusiastic, passionate, talented, & helpful co-workers along with supportive management who will always encourage you to continue to grow at your own pace. Regular monthly performance reviews help to voice your concerns and goals to nail issues at source & improve performance. Quarterly connect keeps everyone current with the status & direction of the company. Up to date with current technology & has diverse work portfolio with exciting projects to look forward to. There are various groups/committees who meet on routine basis to share/learn & improve various aspects of the company. Work share among various HMC offices is a norm. X-Ref program, Design Future foundation, scholarships available for employee children, gym, recreation room & variety of restaurants with in walking distances are real plus. Ideas/opinion from every employee are always well received by the management. No wonder why there are many long time (+10 years) employees or they return back to HMC.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up with the great work of design commitment to enrich people’s lives!

2. "Corporate administration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management asks for employee input through company wide surveys. Some change is implemented, but they never address the negative or below average answers to the survey responses. Some studios have regular in-house happy hours for staff each week. There are regular vendor lunch learning seminars.

Cons

Management tends to take care of themselves, while excusing their own poor performance. Management talks of training and mentorship, but those doing the talking don't actually know what it means to invest in employee training.

3. "No Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Exciting Work, Personable Colleagues

Cons

Unapproachable Management, Absolutely no office culture and management does not care about the culture. When an office social event is organized, a few sit at their desks working very very hard. It would seem that they have a deadline every single day. Its these few that bring down the morale of the office.

Advice to Management

To retain employees it is not enough to just move to an open office. It is also equally important to encourage a bit of social activities.

4. "Great business, poor management."

Pros

Great office, employees are diverse and friendly. Projects are steady and work load seems to be growing. Hiring many new employees (because we can't retain them).

Cons

Officers and controllers make petty decisions and not prioritize results. Instead, managers are focused on cutting costs and micromanaging employees. This leads to high employee turnover. In the last year we have lost many employees and a dozen upper level staff.

Advice to Management

Let the individual studios control the day to day operations of their projects and work environment. Several of the upper management are disdainful of employees and it shows.

5. "Bi-Polar Firm"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Architectural Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at HMC Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They had some interesting work.

Cons

It felt as if there was a "Big Announcement" every week. They went through 3 presidents during my 3.5 years of being employed there. Each week a new big hire or new market the firm was exploring, then the following year they'd announce that hire was let go or we were no longer seeking that type of work. If this firm was personified as a person it'd be a Bi-polar one.

Also, when they bought our company we were all basically asked to interview for our current positions. They didn't seek out advice or recommendations from the principal or directors.

Our bonus was an IPAD which they deducted the taxes for on our next check.

Advice to Management

Advice to management? prep your resumes, because i'm sure the board of directors isn't far from replacing you.

6. "Great work environment and benefits"

I worked at HMC Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Location is good. Benefits are great.

Cons

Too many corporate politians... Very "clicky". If you're in, you're in! But if you're not in, you will eventual be weeded out.

"Glad to be part of HMC team"

Current Employee - Designer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to start career, open for adapting emerging technologies and fresh ideas.
    There is always an opportunity to do something here if you are really passionate about it.
    Great learning environment and visionary leaders.
    Good work-life balance, Friday half day.
    Exciting projects are in pipeline and great changes are coming.
    San Jose office is moving to the vibrant environment.
    Great program like X-ref to encourage young talent and provides platform to grow.

Cons

None, none, none. I can not think of any at this moment.
    But, I think office can be more integrated

Advice to Management

Keep empowering employees to gain experience in diverse aspects of the project.

"Project Manager at San Jose Office"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very encouraging and helpful environment
    - Allow younger employees to jump into multiple aspects of a project and learn quickly. HMC wants to include you!
    - Many resources to get work efficiently and use the companies inner network of talents
    - Company is up to date on current technologies and seeking more advancement to improve architectural service with emerging technologies.
    - Promote continuing education, certifications, and licensing
    - Competitive salary and benefits packages with many other company perks
    - Flexible schedule to accommodate different needs

Cons

- Large company with a set approval process, so decisions need to be run by all stakeholders. Can take time, but ultimately is a good review system.

Advice to Management

Continue to value and educate new talent as I see the company already is doing. One thing that stood out immediately to me when I was hired is that the company will invest in your growth if you are willing to learn and work hard. HMC is constantly looking towards the future.

9. "Exciting Changes"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Ontario, CA

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are new people in leadership who are trying to change the culture. Feel like communication is getting better and feel more supported everyday.

Cons

CEO still seems unapproachable. Relies more on video to talk about the company but doesn't know who I am. Hopefully will get better next year.

10. "great company to work for"

I have been working at HMC Architects full-time

Pros

Very friendly and great at teamwork

Cons

they have to work on communication

Advice to Management

keep up the good work