HMS Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

HMS Holdings Reviews

Updated October 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Transitioning to promote a good work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• work from home - remote position (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Just starting to turn into a progressive company with multiple work-life balance benefits such as flex-time, work from home, etc (in 7 reviews)

• upper management is totally clueless and delusional (in 9 reviews)

"Luckily I got out quickly after the acquisition!"

I worked at HMS Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing. Honestly I cannot make it to 20 words. Maybe the only positive was my paycheck didn't bounce? Although it took almost 2 months to get my direct deposit setup.

Cons

I worked for Eliza and was acquired by HMS. I have been part of many acquisitions in both sides and this was by far the worst. Terrible benefits. Changed everything within 10 days. Thank God I got out quickly.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to acquire companies correctly. Get better benefits.

"All depends upon your manager! pray for a good one"

I worked at HMS Holdings full-time

Pros

Immediately vested in 401K Match, plenty of parking space

Cons

Hiring is done based on buddy system. People are hired and fired not based on performance but who the management likes. Most people have either worked with or known their managers from another organization. How your experience will turn out depends completely on what type of manager you get. Human resources is very weak, so if you get stuck in a bad situation, there is not much you can do.

Advice to Management

The turnover is EXTREMELY HIGH. Focus on the reasons behind it. If a department has 7-8 people starting and leaving with a year's time, there must be some reason.

HMS Holdings Response

Aug 3, 2017 – TA Manager

Thank you for your comment , I will forward you comment to the correct person.

3. "Provider Service Analyst"

I have been working at HMS Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management doesn't micro manage, they put forth your targets provide you with the sources and information to reach them and expect you to hit them.

Small office setting in the Atlanta office where each person knows everyone by name.

We often have potlucks and on those days we are allowed to wear jeans, although every Friday we are allowed to wear jeans.

We have a lot of fundraisers and charity drives HMS is all about giving back.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment.

"Disorganized, failed to communicate accordingly and massively dishonest. Avoid this place like a plague."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at HMS Holdings (More than 3 years)

Pros

Transitioning to promote a good work life balance. Not much micro managing. Trying to keep up with other organizations to maintain solid benefits to attract and maintain employees. It's all smoking mirrors.

Cons

There's a lot of miscommunication. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk. They paint a very beautiful picture, but once you acclimate you see the stark contrast. Retention seems to be an issue. The majority of people are on contracts to hire, consultants, temps, etc. They are always hiring which may mean people don't last as mentioned earlier. This place is chaos, dysfunctional, disorganized and lacks proper structure to facilitate and promote a sustainable enterprise. There's no strategy to targeted objectives. Decisions are made on a whim and not quantified which is really scary. The lack of understanding by management/executives of issues, opportunities and other ways to improve HMS reach objectives is mind blowing. The way decisions are made is ineffective and inefficient. They are struggling in a variety of ways.

Avoid this place like a plague. Look at the subpar ranking this should speak volumes ! Stay away at all costs !

5. "Fast Pace"

Former Employee - Compliance in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Compliance in Irvine, CA

I worked at HMS Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunities with the right manager.

Cons

Typical corporate environment, but I have seen changes being made for the better.

Advice to Management

Diversity training needs to be more frequent.

HMS Holdings Response

Jun 30, 2017 – TA Manager

Thanks for your comment

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at HMS Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Over 11 years I have enjoyed working at HMS, it has grown over the years into a wonderful place to work. We have made so many EXCITING changes and any new hire would welcome!

Cons

None that I can think of, because of all the positive things that have taken place

7. "case worker"

I have been working at HMS Holdings full-time

Pros

hard to get fired that's it

Cons

to many to name ..way to many to nme

Advice to Management

na

"Poorly run; Company is cash-rich but smarts-poor leadership"

I worked at HMS Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay; If you are just starting, you can learn skills that are transferrable. DO NOT PLAN TO STAY ... learn skills and leave.

Cons

Very poor leadership;
    HR is useless or worse - never on the employees' side.
    Highly political environment where good performance is not enough.
    Incompentency across all the "corporate" functions - even finance - CHECK your paycheck ... Payroll makes mistakes ALL the time
    The company "grows" and "improves" by acquiring small businesses, but those acquisitions are so poorly integrated that any potential is wasted.

Advice to Management

Management was never willing to listen; no point in providing advice to them.

9. "Sr. Manager, Organizational Effectiveness"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at HMS Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great people. Gym, deli, beautiful office.

Cons

No parking garage so it gets hot in the parking lot in the summer

"Not as great as I thought it would be"

Current Employee - Caseworker
    Current Employee - Caseworker

I have been working at HMS Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My supervisor is really nice.

I love not having to take a lot of phone calls.

I can see where what I do helps people.

Cons

QPA!!! This whole QPA system is just a way for management to seriously micromanage it's employees! It's absolutely ridiculous! This system basically logs your every move on the computer, and your bonuses are based on your QPA scores. So basically, if you have to use the restroom, or go to the printer, or stuff envelopes, or send out mail, or anything else that does not keep you glued to your computer pumping out a high volume of work, you will not get a good bonus, if any bonus at all.

Management doesn't pay enough attention to the quality of work being done, they mainly just look at the volume. So those who are meticulous and detail oriented and actually do the job correctly get made to feel like they are essentially failing compared to those who take shortcuts and don't do their job correctly so that they get the high numbers. It's very unfair.

My manager is pretty forgetful, so there isn't much consistency and assignments seem to be all over the place. The manager will forget they told you something, so they are insistent that they never said it, then when it turns out to be the right thing they are all 'oh, ok' and never apologize for basically calling you a liar. The forgetfulness is sometimes hard to deal with, as you can be told to do something then the manager forgets and tells you to do something else. Or, they make promises that they forget about so you feel like you're never really being rewarded for your hard work and you have to take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Get rid of QPA! Stop micromanaging your employees and making them feel like they are 2 year olds that need constant 'all eyes on you' supervision!

Although volume is important, place more emphasis on quality and do more for those that actually work hard and don't cut corners.