HMSHost "airport" Reviews | Glassdoor

HMSHost Employee Reviews about "airport"

Updated Jan 10, 2020

2.6
HMSHost President and CEO Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson
Pros
  • "Airport locations are reall busy(in 80 reviews)

• "Free lunch and you usually work with friendly employees at the airport in different locations(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • "going through security at the airport(in 52 reviews)

• "Not a lot of support from upper management(in 49 reviews)

Reviews about "airport"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "nice"

Former Employee - Ads in McCarran, NV

I worked at HMSHost full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

really good work place. perfect

Cons

going through security at the airport

HMSHost2019-06-05
  2. "Fast Paced"

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager

I worked at HMSHost full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced at O'hare airport.

Cons

always understaffed and lack of progression.

HMSHost2019-12-03

"only desperate people apply"

Current Employee - Food Server in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSHost full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

quick medical benefits after 30 days, free airport parking, free BK employee meal

Cons

HR and some managers that don't care for workers. Small paychecks with soo many deductions and short shifts. No one has a 8 hr shift because vacation time is based on hours worked. I've been here 3 years and only have 5 vacation days each year! Working delayed flights with vouchers is s Servers nightmare. This only happens in this airport environment. HMS Host looks at every worker as a thief. Lost prevention should be a concern but HMS takes it to another level. Too many rules and procedures from having to go through TSA check points each time you go to work and doing the accounting work of calculating receipts and separating each type. HMS HNL might as well be called "little Manila". You must have a real tolerance for a majority of workers speaking a non-English language while others are present. This creates cliques and uneasiness to others that just want to come to work and do a job.

Advice to Management

Hire a diverse and more educated staff. Have a morals and eithics class. Teach your managers and HR to have heart and try act more human in "The Aloha State". Open the employee's cafeteria into the evening so workers have more choices to take their meal break. A happy worker is a productive and proud one!

HMSHost2019-09-28

"Poorly managed"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Providence, RI

I worked at HMSHost full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Got to meet Celebrities at the airport

Cons

Low pay, Low skilled managers that do not know how to lead

Advice to Management

Lead by example

HMSHost2019-09-20

"0 Stars For Corporate, 5 Stars For Actual Job!"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Jose, CA

I worked at HMSHost full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a very easy and great job. However, I worked in Silicon Valley. Because of the labor shortage here, employees get treated like royalty here. However, I doubt they do out of SV. 1. Guaranteed full-time and lots of overtime 2. Stable, but no flexibility 3. Managers were awesome! 4. Free health insurance for myself, but free health insurance is standard in SV 5. They'll hire anybody.

Cons

1. Everything depends on seniority completely. 2. Labor union couldn't even negotiate minimum wage, even though a lot of employees switched to another employee in the airport! 3. HMS Host and the Union decided it wasn't needed to tell us of out crappy pay raise. We found out about it on our paystubs. That shows how much they care. 4. Managers are overextended. If you are not a cashier, you are overextended. 5. Lunch and Breakfast breaks suck. We get the min. the law says we get. Shows how much they care. 30 minutes of lunch is not enough! 6. Meals for employees suck. $15 sounds like a lot, but it sucks for an airport in S.V.. 7. Airport and upper management suck. Told by them we can't tell them how long food takes, and we can't put signs up when we run out of food. Easy for them to say that when their not the ones being yelled at by customers. Therefore, I ignored any stupid rule the Airport or Upper Management came up with. 8. They are not upfront about all your leave options. I think they do this on purpose.

HMSHost2019-08-01
  6. "HmsHost review"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Spokane, WA

I worked at HMSHost full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is no Pros for working at this company

Cons

Everything about this company is a con! Not paying people the right wage or raises. Paper work mysteriously gets lost and then you end up with no benefits. Managers are lazy, back stabbing, and do not care or handle the problems that go on. They will confront you in front of customers and co-workers. They do not have the right people to train properly. Management doesn't knows their bottom from a hole in the ground. I can't tell you how many times we've had to say to customers " sorry we are out of espresso and vanilla or Carmel and milk" yes a freaking coffee place is out of beans! The thing that sucks about this is this makes the customers very angry and they blame us the baristas. It just makes a horrible day for all of us. So to any customer who has been unable to get what they wanted from Starbuck's at the airport I am sorry that the people above us baristas can't take the time to full fill the ordering of product to make sure we have what we need to provide excellent customer service.

Advice to Management

Get out of the office and HELP. Everything starts at the top and works it's way down to the bottom (baristas). Hire people who can look in each store and warehouse to see what needs to be ordered.

HMSHost2019-05-30
  7. "Crew"

I worked at HMSHost full-time

Pros

They have great benefits, better than most jobs in the airport

Cons

They could have a better management team

Advice to Management

Better communication with employees, and understanding others.

HMSHost2019-04-14
  8. "Fair"

Former Employee - Skilled Cook

I worked at HMSHost full-time

Pros

Great hours Union Rep Pay airport discount meet new people

Cons

No in house promotions seniority

HMSHost2019-02-28
  9. "Money was good"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Portland, OR

I worked at HMSHost full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Airport locations are reall busy!

Cons

Too much corporate rules and nonsense

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people

HMSHost2019-02-16
  10. "Is it worth it?"

Former Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC

I worked at HMSHost full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working in an airport it's usually very busy. Money is the ONLY pro.

Cons

I've worked for the company for 6 years. The company is horribly unorganized. Doesn't know it's own policies, flip flops too much. Never have enough cooks, so that's a fun game to play when people are in a rush and need to go. We never have a cashier for togo, so another fun game when you're busy to take on another job you're not getting paid for that will slow down your service for your seated guests.

HMSHost2019-01-08