HNI Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HNI Chairman, President, and CEO Stan Askren
Stan Askren

Pros
  • Great people to work with and they provide the resources to be successful (in 6 reviews)

• They really do try to improve the "member culture" and try to make it a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • On top of that, they are expected to prioritize work, always, and a healthy work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent at this organization (in 4 reviews)

• Segmented Business Between Operating Companies (in 5 reviews)

"CEO"

I have been working at HNI full-time

Pros

the industries they participate in are exciting (design, ergo, workplace, productivity, etc.). the factories are well run and lean. good quality.

Cons

CEO is psycho with explosive temper, throws stuff, screams, and then demands you go to church. weird mix of crazy and religion in a dirty little migrant worker town. the board is a powerless collection of unemployed or college teachers. nobody is going to hold mr. crazy accountable. case study in why to separate chairman and CEO roles and why a strong board is vital.

Advice to Management

not sure. how do you replace the tyrant when nobody has the power to do it? Dittmer is a good guy and would be a far better leader.

2. "Hello asthma!"

Current Contractor - BST in Muscatine, IA
    Current Contractor - BST in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at HNI as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It got me into the US for better work

Cons

Now I have breathing disorder because they do not fix leaky building

Advice to Management

I see how you treat workers, almost as bad as back home

"Not a member culture like they advertise"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many Dedicated people who care about their work

Cons

Management Will find ways to fire those they don't like by "downsizing". Manage by berating people. "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome - upper mgt tells you what you should believe. No work-life balance. You work long hours in order just to stay off the radar. unfortunately I am tied to the area so options are limited, but this is not the place you want to be.

Advice to Management

Way out of touch with your employees. No one trusts skip level meetings - we are not going to voice real concerns in large groups where others can go back to tell your manager that you had complaints. Shareholders need to take a stand and recognize the company is flailing under current management. A buy out would be a blessing.

"Previous negatives are accurate"

I worked at HNI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There was a time when it would have been easy to list off a ton of positives. That as they say is now history.

Cons

They have lost their way, to many chiefs, WAY to many and not enough indians. The culture is one of creating a lean environment which should be applauded, but in their efforts to be lean they have created so many single points of failure that the whole thing is a house of cards that is one retirement, death or transfer away from collapsing.

Advice to Management

Wake up and appreciate the people who helped get you where you are. Trim out leadership, put that money towards an investment in your members and beef up the staff.

"Dont Join"

Former Employee - IT Analyst
    Former Employee - IT Analyst

I worked at HNI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is none I can think of.

Cons

At the moment everything is broken in the company. If you join as consultant or IT employee, you will see what I mean. It is full of old fashioned manager. Company has no leadership. There is no leadership in the company, I feel sorry for investors

Advice to Management

Understand the problem before issue orders for fixing it.

"work horse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the overtime you can handle.

Cons

You need to work your life away to be able to make ends meet. The pay is terrible relative to the work they expect from you. The CEO makes over 5 million a year, while the "members" can't afford to feed their families a decent meal. Hours are inconsistent, you have no idea what time your shift will end from day to day.

Advice to Management

Pay a decent wage for a decent days work.

"IT"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Muscatine, IA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, profit sharing when company is making money. HNI is good for the local community and the community in China working for Lamex. Small town living the commute is non stressful and the overall city life is safe and affordable.

Cons

Too many contractors, top heavy with Directors, Managers, and Supervisors. Its the buddy system who you know and are friends with determines if you move up and you could spend years doing the same thing with nowhere to move forward or even move laterally. Benefits are below average for a mid to large corporation. HR-MCR is non existent for it's employees as they are just trying to move up the ladder to higher management, definitely their own agenda. Very LARGE turnover in the last 3 years. CIO is only interested in the contracting to save money, and the Oracle transition and not with day to day operations and the employees who keep IT and the business running. I would not recommend working in IT at HNI

Advice to Management

Invest more in day to day operations and not your own agenda, basically seen as a dog & pony show by the people who really keep the operation running.

HNI Response

Apr 23, 2015 – Member & Community Relations

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to give us some very honest feedback. I'm sorry that your experience at HNI hasn't matched our intention of being a great place to work for our ... More

"WAKE UP HNI, Your workers made you who you are, respect them!"

Current Employee - Distribution Support in Muscatine, IA
    Current Employee - Distribution Support in Muscatine, IA

Pros

It is a very large stable company. They have health beifits, profitsharing. And there are still a lot of great people who work there.

Cons

Currently poorly managed, with respect to human recources. They just don't care much, if any, about the people that work for them. HON used to be more about being a good place to work, and employees were treated as, what they called "Members" Now the term "Members" is more like a slap in the face. Because being a member of somthing would indicate that you were part of somthing that you felt you belong to, and possible might have an influence in helping the cause of the company. Now people are treated as if it was their fault the company might be experiencing financial difficulty because of the economy.

Advice to Management

Most people understand that the economy is bad, and that we need to cut corners and raise productivity, but that is no excuse to treat people with no respect. Let us help. Acknowlege the fact that that "you" the management don't have all the answers.