HNI Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
HNI Chairman, President, and CEO Stan Askren
Stan Askren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with and they provide the resources to be successful (in 8 reviews)

• As a new graduate engineer it's a great place to learn (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • On top of that, they are expected to prioritize work, always, and a healthy work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent at this organization (in 5 reviews)

• All of the operating companies are in locations that I would consider very rural (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to move up.

Cons

nothing to offer members who are at the max pay.

2. "Objective as Possible"

I have been working at HNI full-time

Pros

Good pay supplemented further by incentive opportunities and consistent raises.

Cons

Growing pains in company can cause changes in standard work processes, sometimes within a week of a previous change.

Advice to Management

Listen to the thoughts that members have, and be willling to admit when you have made a mistake.

3. "Finance Analyst (Finance Development Program)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temple, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temple, TX

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work-life balance, opportunity to change roles within the corporate structure, multiple operating companies with various product lines

Cons

Located in Muscatine, IA. The organization as a whole does not prioritize innovation in their strategic planning (though some of its subsidiaries place a larger focus on innovation, it is not a primary component of the culture at HNI).

"Early Career Development Program"

Pros

The program is an exciting, challenging, and robust 1-year program where the program member is given opportunities to gain large outlooks on the overall business. In the program, you are given the ability to gain experiences in logistics, quality, operations, strategic materials, strategic manufacturing, and any other electives of you and the development program manager's choosing. They try to mold the program member on what they're good at while making sure it's good for the business. Through the rotations, you are able to gain exposure to many senior leaders including the CEO and can build an incredibly large network at HNI.

Cons

I don't have much to complain about. The program is exactly what I needed to understand how the business works and gain exposure to different areas. This has allowed me to understand what I'm good at and what I like to do.

Some things that are Cons:
    Muscatine, Iowa - I didn't like it at first but it has started to grow on me. It is nice that the Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City are only an hour away. The commute from those places is never fun though.

Leadership: The CEO and leadership are incredibly smart with great insight. Sometimes though, they get overly passionate and can be intimidating at times.

5. "OK Place to Work - Great Place to Start a Career"

Former Intern - Business Analyst Intern in Muscatine, IA
    Former Intern - Business Analyst Intern in Muscatine, IA

I worked at HNI as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a focus on leadership development - interns were regularly connected with C-Level executives and directors to get career advice, etc. There is also a rotational program for direct-from-college hires that will give you a diverse view of IT jobs.

Cons

There was a lot of bureaucratic micromanagement and a culture of scope creep. You also have to save everything you do because people will be out for blood if something goes wrong. Scope creep was extremely bad, but that might have been limited to the people I worked with.

Advice to Management

Focus less on micromanagement and listen to employees more. There is a focus on the culture but at times it doesn't feel authentic.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at HNI full-time

Pros

Great place to work, people are friendly. Lots of opportunity to move around in the muscatine area.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are not always fairly distributed between women and men.

7. "Good summer job"

Current Contractor - Material Handler in Mount Pleasant, IA
    Current Contractor - Material Handler in Mount Pleasant, IA

I have been working at HNI as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people
    Many resources available for employees
    Can tell the company cares about employees

Cons

No set time to when you get off of work
    Fast pace, takes a few weeks to get used to the environment

8. "Good place to work"

Pros

Best place to work for beginners

Cons

Room for improvement in providing learning opportunities

9. "Well structured corporation"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Muscatine, IA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities to increase your knowledge, both of your specific job function and of lean methodologies and tools. There is training available and you can become certified.

Cons

Location, location, location. All of the operating companies are in locations that I would consider very rural. Sometimes, amish buggies drive by :)

Advice to Management

Not much to say, really enjoyed my time here, if it wasn't for personal (location-based) reasons, I would still be pursuing career advancement opportunities here.

"Great place to work"

Pros

willingness to change, constant focus on improvement, plenty of career opportunities, promote movement and growth within the company, culture, coworkers

Cons

management structure is very confusing (ex. vp's reporting to vp's,) sometimes there can be a lack of direction, benefits could be better