HNTB Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
HNTB Chief Executive Officer Rob Slimp
Rob Slimp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, great experience, a lot of flexibility in how to get reports done (in 13 reviews)

• Very professional working environment with solid pay and benefits (in 12 reviews)

Cons

1. "New grads AVOID HNTB.-Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big High quality projects and great Benefits they have no problem using the latest versions of the software they use.

Cons

No training at all. As a recent graduate they expect you to do the job of a PE to save money on their budget since they don’t pay you as much as a PE. Its not very common that this company pays for a training or local professional associations. Not a good pay for new grads, if you are a new grad please avoid HNTB

Advice to Management

Have some empathy for your team

"Looking elsewhere"

Current Employee - Billing Associate in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Billing Associate in Mission, KS

I have been working at HNTB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing strong company that has been in business for over 100 years

Cons

If you aren't kissing butt to the managers then expect a larger work load and its pulling teeth to get PTO . Whenever I use PTO I am having to make sure my work load is complete. When butt kisser ask for time off I am completing their work . So much fakeness

Advice to Management

There should be no politics or favoritism. When employees work hard appreciate them .. Turnover is quite high for a reason

"top heavy wasp facotry"

I have been working at HNTB (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company organized to make money

Cons

Too many managers - all about the dollar - very heavy oversight of all aspects of business. Least diverse company i have ever seen.

"Wouldn't recommend if you enjoy having a life....."

I worked at HNTB full-time

Pros

I worked with some very talented and smart colleagues. Overtime pay was a plus. Group was fun to work with. Very savvy, innovative company.

Cons

The health benefits were terrible and there was no such thing as "work-life balance" in the marketing department. I would always have to rearrange plans due to proposal deadlines and rarely was able to take a lunch. They have so many processes in place but no one follows them, so you're stuck cleaning up everyone else's mess and working late to not miss the deadline.

Advice to Management

Don't take on more work when your employees are already overwhelmed. Company only seemed concerned about making money rather than keeping employees happy.

"Project Controls"

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of the people who work for HNTB are helpful, and actually care.

Cons

It is all about the mighty dollar, and not about the people. Management is more worried about an Employee being Job chargeable, then holding onto the people who go over and beyond. HR is not there for you when you need them, nor is upper management.

Advice to Management

The almighty dollar is great, but you need to be there for your employees.

"electrical engineer II"

I have been working at HNTB full-time

Pros

Competitive work environment, smart people are around help you to grow

Cons

a lot of pressure, slow promotion

"Incompetent Senior Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

100+ year old privately held company.

Cons

Lots of "old school" leaders - not ready for leading millennials. They wait for contract work mostly from Caltrans before hiring then lay off when the contract ends.

Advice to Management

Hire more competent sales people who can build a bigger book of business

"Better than nothing"

I have been working at HNTB full-time

Pros

Some good projects. Working with some hard working people.

Cons

very low salary compared to other companies

Advice to Management

None

"Bit off more than they can chew in NYC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at HNTB (Less than a year)

Pros

Ample PC software and support, many young smart co-workers, decent benefits and salary, nice/new office space.

Cons

My comments pertain only to HNTB's NYC's Project Control Department.

Many young and green field employees performing tasks above their knowledge skills without adequate coaching and training. Resident Engineers (one who was recently promoted) inept in FTA and MTA third party contract regulations and requirements, openly using Contractors cost loaded change order proposals as a basis and tool in developing their Independent Cost Estimates. Chaotic management, frequent moving of positions and people without notice. Lack of communication and direction to their employees. My direct Manager appeared to be lacking people skills, creating a somewhat awkward feeling when interacting together. The Department appears to be slapped together overnight to fulfill company goals and future client contracts.

Advice to Management

Promote a more pro-active business atmosphere, especially for the personnel running projects in the field. Hire Managers that are not only book smart, but have real time experience and have people skills.

"Learn what you can and move on...."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst I in Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst I in Mission, KS

Pros

I think it's a good place to work as long as you're not in the Enterprise Operations Cash Management group. I picked up some marketable job skills here.

Cons

I watched as my department was bulldozed by management. There was no real career path and training did not exist. Senior employees with the most knowledge were over utilized for production quotas. I gave them 3 years and was the only one left in the AR/ Cash application department. I ran it alone for nearly a month and resigned. It was once a department of 4 employees but they terminated 2 and never replaced them. It was impossible to get a long term strategy for the department from management to align your career goals with because they actually hadn't put any thought into it.

Advice to Management

The accounting/ finance department of any company is critical to the long term success of the organization. Just because you can't bill these labor hours to a client doesn't mean the group should be seen as excessive overhead costs to be reduced. I watched you lose a lot of talent because of this oversight.