HNTB Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
HNTB Chief Executive Officer Rob Slimp
Rob Slimp

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, great experience, a lot of flexibility in how to get reports done (in 12 reviews)

• They provide good benefits for leave (in 23 reviews)

Cons

"Disappointing to Say the Least"

Former Employee - Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Consultant in Detroit, MI

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company Vehicle; Good health care and decent benefits; ESOP; Seemingly unlimited overtime available

Cons

Absolutely ZERO work/life balance; thrown to the wolves on day 1 of employment - no training period whatsoever; completely incompetent management

Advice to Management

Quit. None of you know what your job function is or how to perform in it's full capacity. You're lack of consideration for those under you is abhorrent and disgusting.

"HNTB Overall good company"

Current Employee - Project Analyst II in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Project Analyst II in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at HNTB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

competitive pay, nice work environment, good people, good benefits

Cons

upper management heads are in the clouds. out of touch with employees, push for sales and numbers, ignoring the needs of employees, no incentives, no flex work schedules, etc. and management is not-trained or evaluated on their ability to affectively manage people.

Advice to Management

learn how to manage people. give incentives and recognize people's hard work and allow for flexible work schedules.

3. "Sr.Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer/Senior Squad Leader in Kansas City, MO

I worked at HNTB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits and exposure to new trends and future in the engineering industry.

Cons

Management turns a blind eye to bullying and bad managers that bring in projects.

Advice to Management

You have a lawsuit waiting to happen. Promote a safe environment and train you managers

"Professional Development/Enhancement Lacking"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Good benefits, fair salary, steady work, talented co-workers.

Cons

I came to HNTB with a P.E. and a broad resume of experiences in the Civil Engineering profession from civil infrastructure project planning through construction completion and O&M, including personnel management. After a month or so of settling into the job, I was given a responsibility that consumed 60-70% of my average day that no one else wanted, which was better suited for an engineer tech or admin person. I agreed to take on the responsibility primarily to demonstrate to the company (not that they paid attention in the end) my diversity and reliability and to learn their processes and procedures. I was told by my supervisor, who was less experienced than I, that the responsibility would be very temporary until someone else could take it over. Well....three merit increases and three years later I still had it. During that time span, I told 2 different supervisors that I had that role long enough and would like to be relieved of it. When a new project came along, instead of assigning me as part of that team, which I was well qualified for, they brought in engineers from outside the company. During the last year with the company, I applied for numerous in-house positions within the State (their presence is large their) and had several interviews but no offers. When I finally told my last supervisor I was accepting an offer from another company, he acted very surprised. They lost a valuable employee in part because they were not paying attention.

Advice to Management

Know the experiences and qualifications of your own employees and pay attention to their professional development. It's less expensive to hire from within than from outside the company.

"Engineer 1 (Structures)"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good compensation
    Wonderful pool of experience to draw from
    Diverse and complex jobs to work on

Cons

Company too heavy into the upper management
    Seems like the marketing/accounting department doesn't have a clue what they are doing
    Quick to jump to lay-offs at signs of slowing workload
    Very little employee investment

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect and admiration
    Show the people that work for you that you care about them, and not just the work that they do
    Be more transparent with your budgeting and the company bottom-line

"Civil Engineer"

Current Employee - Squad Leader Project Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Squad Leader Project Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HNTB full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for more responsibility in differing projects

Cons

Succession planning is lacking. Expected to check emails and respond to project issues during vacation.

8. "current staff"

Current Employee - Estimator in Mayer, MN
    Current Employee - Estimator in Mayer, MN

I have been working at HNTB (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance.
    Good benefits

Cons

they do not invest time in their employees, they would rather steal talent from other companies then train their own.

Advice to Management

it's ok to spend money to teach your employes

"Decent place to get experience."

Current Employee - Intern in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Naples, FL

I have been working at HNTB (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for a civil engineering intern, flexible with intern schedules, get payed for holidays.

Cons

Can get extremely repetitive and boring at times, always have to ask for work, need to have mentors for interns to really help them learn how to design instead of just giving them all the grunt work, no benefits for interns, office is extremely outdated looking with all grey cubicles and needs to be updated to a more modern style.

Advice to Management

provide interns with mentors and more meaningful work, and updated office style

10. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Structural Engineer III in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer III in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at HNTB (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Projects across the country with a wide spectrum of industries in the infrastructure, aviation, sports, and transportation sectors

Cons

A very corporate run company. Upper management can be very disconnected from the actual work and projects being performed on a daily basis

Advice to Management

Not everything can be managed by a spreadsheet and a number/goal. A company designing complex projects needs management that looks beyond the spreadsheet.

11. "Great company"

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Miami, FL

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the W Flagler location in Miami for a few years. The employee benefits were excellent. Health, dental, life and all sorts of insurances were provided. PTO was also great.

Cons

I found it strange that, being such a big company, they did not have a kitchen area for employees to eat.

Advice to Management

Treat employees a little better.