HNTB Reviews | Glassdoor

HNTB Reviews

Updated May 15, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, great experience, a lot of flexibility in how to get reports done (in 12 reviews)

• They provide good benefits for leave (in 23 reviews)

Cons

"Bit off more than they can chew in NYC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at HNTB (Less than a year)

Pros

Ample PC software and support, many young smart co-workers, decent benefits and salary, nice/new office space.

Cons

My comments pertain only to HNTB's NYC's Project Control Department.

Many young and green field employees performing tasks above their knowledge skills without adequate coaching and training. Resident Engineers (one who was recently promoted) inept in FTA and MTA third party contract regulations and requirements, openly using Contractors cost loaded change order proposals as a basis and tool in developing their Independent Cost Estimates. Chaotic management, frequent moving of positions and people without notice. Lack of communication and direction to their employees. My direct Manager appeared to be lacking people skills, creating a somewhat awkward feeling when interacting together. The Department appears to be slapped together overnight to fulfill company goals and future client contracts.

Advice to Management

Promote a more pro-active business atmosphere, especially for the personnel running projects in the field. Hire Managers that are not only book smart, but have real time experience and have people skills.

"HNTB Overall good company"

Current Employee - Project Analyst II in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Project Analyst II in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at HNTB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

competitive pay, nice work environment, good people, good benefits

Cons

upper management heads are in the clouds. out of touch with employees, push for sales and numbers, ignoring the needs of employees, no incentives, no flex work schedules, etc. and management is not-trained or evaluated on their ability to affectively manage people.

Advice to Management

learn how to manage people. give incentives and recognize people's hard work and allow for flexible work schedules.

3. "Sr.Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer/Senior Squad Leader in Kansas City, MO

I worked at HNTB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits and exposure to new trends and future in the engineering industry.

Cons

Management turns a blind eye to bullying and bad managers that bring in projects.

Advice to Management

You have a lawsuit waiting to happen. Promote a safe environment and train you managers

"Professional Development/Enhancement Lacking"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Good benefits, fair salary, steady work, talented co-workers.

Cons

I came to HNTB with a P.E. and a broad resume of experiences in the Civil Engineering profession from civil infrastructure project planning through construction completion and O&M, including personnel management. After a month or so of settling into the job, I was given a responsibility that consumed 60-70% of my average day that no one else wanted, which was better suited for an engineer tech or admin person. I agreed to take on the responsibility primarily to demonstrate to the company (not that they paid attention in the end) my diversity and reliability and to learn their processes and procedures. I was told by my supervisor, who was less experienced than I, that the responsibility would be very temporary until someone else could take it over. Well....three merit increases and three years later I still had it. During that time span, I told 2 different supervisors that I had that role long enough and would like to be relieved of it. When a new project came along, instead of assigning me as part of that team, which I was well qualified for, they brought in engineers from outside the company. During the last year with the company, I applied for numerous in-house positions within the State (their presence is large their) and had several interviews but no offers. When I finally told my last supervisor I was accepting an offer from another company, he acted very surprised. They lost a valuable employee in part because they were not paying attention.

Advice to Management

Know the experiences and qualifications of your own employees and pay attention to their professional development. It's less expensive to hire from within than from outside the company.

"Engineer 1 (Structures)"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good compensation
    Wonderful pool of experience to draw from
    Diverse and complex jobs to work on

Cons

Company too heavy into the upper management
    Seems like the marketing/accounting department doesn't have a clue what they are doing
    Quick to jump to lay-offs at signs of slowing workload
    Very little employee investment

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect and admiration
    Show the people that work for you that you care about them, and not just the work that they do
    Be more transparent with your budgeting and the company bottom-line

"Learn what you can and move on...."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst I in Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst I in Mission, KS

Pros

I think it's a good place to work as long as you're not in the Enterprise Operations Cash Management group. I picked up some marketable job skills here.

Cons

I watched as my department was bulldozed by management. There was no real career path and training did not exist. Senior employees with the most knowledge were over utilized for production quotas. I gave them 3 years and was the only one left in the AR/ Cash application department. I ran it alone for nearly a month and resigned. It was once a department of 4 employees but they terminated 2 and never replaced them. It was impossible to get a long term strategy for the department from management to align your career goals with because they actually hadn't put any thought into it.

Advice to Management

The accounting/ finance department of any company is critical to the long term success of the organization. Just because you can't bill these labor hours to a client doesn't mean the group should be seen as excessive overhead costs to be reduced. I watched you lose a lot of talent because of this oversight.

8. "Great company, but needs to address some HR issues"

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Auburn, WA

I have been working at HNTB (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office culture, supportive management, exciting projects, good pay

Cons

Bad management is rewarded, and sometimes a lot of extra overtime is required.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to where the employee turnover is happening

"Outdated company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the leaders really want to see change. Really good people who work here. Benefits package is solid but seems outdated.

Cons

Behind the times in technology. HR leadership in the corporate office is something to be desired. Need more diversity. No work flexibility in where you work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees. Expand benefits to catch up with competitors. Add new technology in all parts of the business.

10. "High Caliber"

Former Employee - Project Analyst in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in Kirkland, WA

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with the best of the best in the industry. Challenging work and variety of projects nurtures growth professionally and personally. Lots of opportunity.

Cons

You'll be burdened by overtime work if you don't manage your time and workload very wisely. Rigid policies can often bog down review processes.

11. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Cpm Scheduler in Bryant, AR
    Former Employee - Cpm Scheduler in Bryant, AR

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Lots of training. Good benefits. Awesome company stock. Good people to work with. I enjoyed my time with HNTB and would be happy to go back under the right circumstances/location.

Cons

This is a money driven company that is obsessed with profits. This is great for the company stock value, but the constant focus on profits can become overwhelming to the point that you feel you can not take vacation because it will reduce profits.

Advice to Management

Remember your most valuable asset is the employee, and to treat them as such.