79% would recommend to a friend
(469 total reviews)
92% approve of CEO
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Long hours on projects and many weekends required." (in 15 reviews)
- "low pay for amount of experience" (in 13 reviews)
- "poor management, little to no innovation in design, unable to keep up with market, therefore shrinking architecture department every year." (in 13 reviews)
- "Work/life balance can be difficult depending on your project." (in 12 reviews)
- "Specific to the TAMPA location: Bad management and leadership." (in 12 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of HOK and is not affected by filters.
Found 469 of over 528 reviews
Updated Dec 3, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 4.0Dec 3, 2023Senior Graphic DesignerCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsLos Angeles, CA
Great projects and great coworkers. Incredible designs and innovation in architecture.
Lots and lots of unpaid overtime. Typical work weeks avg 64 to 70 hrs.
- 2.0Nov 23, 2023Interior DesignerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearWashington, DC
Large firm exposure Fortune 500 clients
Very high turnover for a relatively small group. Agree with previous comment about gaslighting. Wish it the culture was more open to accepting diverse ideas. Long hours.
- 5.0Oct 30, 2023Architecture - Senior Project ArchitectCurrent Employee, less than 1 year
Great office, nice people, well structured, well grounded, good pay, good benefits.
It's a large sprawling corporate bureaucratic company. They manage to keep your view of it nicely local/regional, though, which is good.
- 2.0Jun 12, 2023Project ArchitectCurrent EmployeeWashington, DC
HOK offers competitive compensation, good benefits, and a myriad of learning opportunities. The admin in the office is amazing, sweet as can be, and always willing to help out. The office itself is pretty decent, too.
One word: Overworked. HOK has a skewed concept of how much employees can reasonably take on at one time, and when this is communicated, leadership responds back with "you'll be fine." When I asked coworkers about this, some of the more seasoned HOK employees say "that's just the way it is here- Welcome to HOK!" The results of this are pushed deadlines, late submissions, and incomplete work. (Not a good look for the firm or the employees whose names are associated with the work.) Employees are not set up for success here. Unless you thrive off stress and challenges-that-shouldn't-be-challenges, I would not recommend HOK at all. The promised "work life balance" here is greatly skewed towards "work".3HOK Response4mo
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Taking care of our employees is very important to HOK. Please feel free to provide further feedback or continue the conversation at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4.0Oct 2, 2023Sr. Project ManagerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearLos Angeles, CA
Diverse clients and teams, open communication, and many resources available firm-wide and across offices
Would be helpful to have clearer processes and training during onboardingHOK Response2mo
Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with your team members and our unique work perks.
HOK Reviews FAQs
HOK has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 528 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at HOK to a friend and 74% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
79% of HOK employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated HOK 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.